Swanley Bridge Marina

Darren72

Featured Posts

If location is your main criteria I don't think you could do better than Aqueduct Marina on the Middlewich arm. It is in the centre of the H formed by the Shropshire Union and the Trent & Mersey and you can go North, South, East or West from there.

But I'm sure Overwater, Swanley and Tattenhall are all fine :).

We've been at Swanley for about 18months, and have been very happy with the facilities and service there - No plans to move at the mo. However, we are 'weekenders' and tend to take the boat out when we are there (other than the occasional overnight). The one facility that they don't have is a 'cafe' - if you have a car, Nantwich is 10mins away (or about 2~3 hours via the canal).

We find the location good, with a choice of 'directions' to go for short hops (the typical one for us is down to Nantwich).

All of the facilities on site are good, - in summary more than happy staying there (no, we have no connection with them) - though this is the only marina we have berthed at so can't compare with anywhere else.

Martin

Moored at Swanley for 4 years or so. Good clean facilities, nice folk and it gives us the facilities that we want. Usually quiet with good access to different routes. Adiquate car parking and not a marathon walk to your boat (IMHO) Closest pub is the "Star" in Acton which is 5 mins drive away or "Farmers Arms" at Ravensmoor which is 10 mins away. As previuosly stated Nantwich is about 10 mins by car or 2 hours or so by boat. Moor on the embankment, 7 mins walk into town, 5 mins to closest pub and chippy. No cafe (which is fine by me and I would leave if it got one. Nice cafe at Nantwich Canal Centre, 6 mins drive). Wrenbury 3 hours cruise, with two pubs. One of which is a bit posh but very nice (again IMO). CCTV and card operated barrier, plus no easy access from the tow path and a drive past the farm in my opinion make it secure without being like "Fort Knox". Usual maintanence facilities on site.

No connection other than satisfied moorer.

Lewis

Having spent time in both Swanley and Overwater, I would say it depends what you want out of your mooring. The Star at Acton is indeed a short drive away and certainly used to be a cracking pub. However, if you fancy a few, it's not a nice walk back on a dark country road and we never managed to find a taxi. That was the biggest decider for my old man when he moved down to Overwater - quick walk down the towpath to a choice of three pubs, co-op, chippy, post office etc etc etc.

Yep, Dominic may have a vested interest in the marina, but I don't, and it is run by lovely people. As an example - my dad posted on faceache last night that he'd run out of gas - within minutes he'd been offered a spare bottle of gas, camping stove and kettle and any other help he might need from other moorers. On arrival at the office this morning, he was helped to move the gas, and a hot drink made for him while he waited.

If I was in the area and wanted a marina mooring, I know which I'd pick :)

Swanley is a nice marina - we moored there last winter. Staff are friendly, and so are the moorers. There is a small local shop at Burland which can be walked to from the marina (the shop is owned and run by moorers too). There are no bus routes, so you do need a car if you are going to spend any amount of time on your boat in the marina.

I have no connection with the marina.

Sorry but l really think when answering posts about this marina you should point out to "Those who do not know " that you have a vested interest in it.

14skipper

I rent space at Overwater. I have no vested interest. It is lovely place, run by great people, and adjacent to a village with shops, pubs, butchers, chipper etc. It is the best marina in the area by far.

And I use my real name in recommending it, rather than something to disguise my interest such as 43plonker, or similar ;)

Edited by Dominic M
  • Greenie 2

I rent space at Overwater. I have no vested interest. It is lovely place, run by great people, and adjacent to a village with shops, pubs, butchers, chipper etc. It is the best marina in the area by far.

I am quite sure Dominic rents space BECAUSE it is such a well run marina, and probably chose it over the others nearby due to that fact.

No connection to any marina , anywhere......

Anyone out there who is or has moored there for a while. Can you tell me any pros or cons. Is there any pubs, shops, facilities nearby?

Looking for a good location for 6 months from June 2012.

We have been there for over a year and like it very much, there is a local shop run by a boater but no pub as far as I know...don't drink!

And I use my real name in recommending it, rather than something to disguise my interest such as 43plonker, or similar ;)

Sorry but l thought l was polite in my posting about pointing out you have a ""interest" in the marina i.e you are based there and should point that out when recommending it. What a shame you could not return the same politeness to me no-matter what name l or others choose to post under.

14skipper

• Greenie 1

About six months ago we bought our first NB. We visited many marinas and moorings and can say without hesitation that the whole package presented at Overwater was the most impressive we came across. Anybody using it regularly should count themselves very fortunate.

We didn't buy our boat there.

We don't moor there.

About six months ago we bought our first NB. During our search we visited many marinas and moorings and can say without hesitation that the whole package presented at Overwater was the most impressive we came across. Anybody using it regularly should count themselves very fortunate.

We didn't buy our boat there.

We don't moor there.

Thinking about Aqueduct Marina now in Nantwich area. Any Feedback on this one.

It looks nice enough but i dont think there is much of anything pub/village/shop wise within walking distance. I wanted somewhere to leave our 46' boat earlier this year. For a month i was quoted in excess of £300 :o . Deciding i didn't wish to start selling bodily organs we looked elsewhere.