Pump out Prices

Enfield Phil

Featured Posts

Hi all

Just back from our first cruise in the new (to me) boat, oh wasn't it lovely :blush::blush::) ,anyway had the pleasure of our first pump out at Wyvern Shipping in Linslade near Leighton Buzzard, charged £15 :blush: for the privalage.

Question is this about right?

Regards

Phil

I have a perfectly good pump out toilet on my boat, but haven't used it for at least the last seven years. I simply got fed up with boatyards doing a lousy job pumping it out, and charging me an excessive amount for the privilige. I now have two Porta pottis which serve us perfectly well, and having to empty them every few days means that we don't have the sewage hanging around for weeks on end, stinking out the bathroom.

BW self-service pump out £6.30

If you can get the cards!!

My mate has a narrow boat with pump out and the cards are now impossible to buy on The Lancaster Canal. The BW office no longer opens and is only manned Mon to Thurs 10 till 12 (convenient for a leisure industry!!) and there was a marina who started to sell them but now cannot get hold of them.

My mate has to buy them mail order or go round the marina asking other boaters if they have any to sell. Also it would seem that only a partial card is used each time so he ends up with hundreds of cards that he has paid credit on that he cannot use!! This makes the real cost of a pump out much higher than it really is. Also there are only four places on the canal where pump out is possible. He gets round this by having a porta potti with him at all times.

If I ever bought a narrow boat, I would use a porta potti(s). I carry two at present which does me between stops and they cost nothing to empty apart from the blue. At present Garstang sanitary station is closed due to vandalism and this makes it a long way between emptying points.

We do really well for showers on the Lanky which I really do appreciate, but anyone coming over from the main system, make sure you bring your cards and porta pottis!!

:blush:

Edited by GRPCruiserman

My mate has to buy them mail order or go round the marina asking other boaters if they have any to sell. Also it would seem that only a partial card is used each time so he ends up with hundreds of cards that he has paid credit on that he cannot use!! This makes the real cost of a pump out much higher than it really is. Also there are only four places on the canal where pump out is possible. He gets round this by having a porta potti with him at all times.

Luckly, theres a shop next to the pump station that sells them. 30 credit card is whats required = £6.30. No wasted units!

Edited by stuart

Do you still need to put blue in the ones where the tank is 10' away and a propper water traped toilet used?

I have a straight dump through and have never used blue. Only smell I get is during a pump out, other than that - nothing !

Sneaky way to get a free pumpout at Sawley.....Ask for the key from one person behind the counter and hand it back to a different member of staff. each thinks you paid the other!!

I know it's vile and corrupt, but it makes me smile every time I get away with it!

We are switching over to an envirolet composting toilet. This should avoid all the problems - will report back in a couple of months.

I'dbe interested to know how you get on. The concept sounds good, but my boyfriend wonders what might happen if you have loads of mates swilling beer all night on your boat and using your envirolet lots as a result. Does it still work :blush:

I'dbe interested to know how you get on. The concept sounds good, but my boyfriend wonders what might happen if you have loads of mates swilling beer all night on your boat and using your envirolet lots as a result. Does it still work :blush:

Hi Crazy

They have limitations here is there link

THere are two solutions to this:

Tell them to go pee in the bushes (Which beer swilling men seem to do anyway)

Set up the toilet so that excess liquid drains into a separate container, which can be disposed of in a normal compost heap, or a composting trench.

Hi all

Just back from our first cruise in the new (to me) boat, oh wasn't it lovely :blush::blush::) ,anyway had the pleasure of our first pump out at Wyvern Shipping in Linslade near Leighton Buzzard, charged £15 :blush: for the privalage.

Question is this about right?

Regards

Phil

£10 including blue and a careful rinsing from the nice folks at Greenham Canal Services at Newbury. We always carry a spare BW pump out card (they're easy to buy on the K&A) and usually do it ourselves. Some boatyards charge up to £15 down this way - but we avoid them!

Rob

Sneaky way to get a free pumpout at Sawley.....Ask for the key from one person behind the counter and hand it back to a different member of staff. each thinks you paid the other!!

I know it's vile and corrupt, but it makes me smile every time I get away with it!

What a sad outlook on life, that it is pleasurable to cheat people in petty ways. Edited by anhar

• 2 weeks later...