The Admiral Nelson, Braunston

Geoffrey Hammond

Featured Posts

is this a winter/summer thing with this pub? I seem to recall something similar with the same pub last year

We came by there on Wednesday, sign said pub up for rent / lease so most likely will pop back up again.

On a higher note I moored up at Napton after Braunston and the Folly is looking grand again (in my opinion)

Had a good number of covers & drinkers, boaters on half term & locals.

I eat on board these days mainly so can't vouch for the spread but their beer (Hooky) was spot on & the ambience (sp?)great.

Steve

On a higher note I moored up at Napton after Braunston and the Folly is looking grand again (in my opinion)

Had a good number of covers & drinkers, boaters on half term & locals.

Yes, we had a meal at the Folly in the summer & were well impressed.

The trouble is that the winter starts here, 4/5 months with little boat trade. Hope that the locals will keep it ticking over.

Yes, we had a meal at the Folly in the summer & were well impressed.

The trouble is that the winter starts here, 4/5 months with little boat trade. Hope that the locals will keep it ticking over.

I agree. I've a couple of GREAT nights in The Folly recently since the new peeps took over. But then I can think of at leaast three new sets of peeps in the Folly this last four years or so!

I agree. I've a couple of GREAT nights in The Folly recently since the new peeps took over. But then I can think of at leaast three new sets of peeps in the Folly this last four years or so!

I can only think of two and one long term one who I think still owns it.

I have had a couple of good meals since the new people arrived, but I don't particularly like the place now. I just doesn't suit me.

I appreciate that - but none of your post addresses the fundamental question of why these pubs are effectively allowed to fail...

Not applicable in the case of the Admiral Nelson though.

I guess they are allowed to fail 'cause that's how a market economy works, plus as CarlT says the breweries exploit a series of hopeful entrepreneurs on the basis that half a years rent every year between failures is better than none, particularly at the eyewatering rates they still think they can charge. The Ferryman and Firkin

in Southampton is up for let - despite the fact that the roof has fallen in and trade in the High Street has dropped off massively, the brewery want £60k per annum. Guess what, it's empty and has been for four years, leaving a boarded up blot on the landscape. The building's been paid for many times over in rent, so the owners just don't care.

As the owner of a bar I'd be pleased to see some intiative that protected my investment against market trends and variations in the amount of money Joe Public has, but can't for the life of me see how that would work - after all we took the risk and will be happy to keep the profits should they every appear. It would however be nice if business expenses could rise and fall with takings, as it is there are increases in money the state and private industry take from us via VAT, Business Rates, NI, PRS, PRL, Licensing etc etc when our hard work pays off, but with the exception of VAT which is trade driven, no reduction for the bad months.

I believe there is no magic bullet for pub like the Nelson: we have taken four years to build trade to a point where we are just beginning to think we might have made the right choice when we bought the bar. Only the fact that me and 'er work full time and can support the place has kept us going. My experience tells me anyone taking on the Nelsion should have funding to support it making a loss for at least five years, probably around £300k. No one in their right mind would do that, would they? Yes - I know.

As regards change of use - maybe not flats, but small offices or similar would not be beyond the realms of possibility.

Edited by twbm

I can only think of two and one long term one who I think still owns it.

I have had a couple of good meals since the new people arrived, but I don't particularly like the place now. I just doesn't suit me.

Hmmm I'm sure I've been in there and seen three different sents of peeps over the last few years. Did the owner run it for a while perhaps?

The current peeps are musicians through and through, great entertainers, for me at least!

Mike

• 7 months later...

Good news for you all - The Admiral Nelson has re-opened about 6 weeks ago.

Called in for a pint of Hooky on Sunday, having got there on bikes along the canal. Looks really smart inside, and staff very friendly. Not eaten there before but hoping to book for tomorrow night as the restaurant at the back has been done out well.

A great place for chilling.

It's not so much reliant on canal trade, but it's tucked out of the way from the village. Some people don't even know how to reach the place and it is reliant on the locals. Outside was pretty busy when we were there - but the good weather tends to get people out.

Pay them a visit soon.

:cheers:

We popped in there after Crick today for the first time since re-opening and at first I wondered if it was going to be the same old problem as before when first choice of meal was unavailable but pleased to report that food was very good indeed with friendly staff and brisk trade both inside and outside the pub.

Looks like someone really wants to make a go of it and very much worth a try... good luck to them.

We popped in there after Crick today for the first time since re-opening and at first I wondered if it was going to be the same old problem as before when first choice of meal was unavailable but pleased to report that food was very good indeed with friendly staff and brisk trade both inside and outside the pub.

Looks like someone really wants to make a go of it and very much worth a try... good luck to them.

Went there early sat evening and again late sandy afternoon, 6x and Hooky both good, staff friendly and made both us and our two our dogs very welcome. Can't comment on the food the restaurant looked good but pricey. I really hope it works out for them.