Two pack epoxy blacking

Featured Posts

Time for re blacking in the spring. We are currently blacked with intertuf, but I'd like to get a quote or two for sand/grit blast and epoxy blacking to see how it stacks up. Our existing blacking gets scraped off too easily for my tastes. Can anyone please recommend a yard and give an idea of cost for a 50 footer within striking distance of our moorings at Crick?

Ta

Time for re blacking in the spring. We are currently blacked with intertuf, but I'd like to get a quote or two for sand/grit blast and epoxy blacking to see how it stacks up. Our existing blacking gets scraped off too easily for my tastes. Can anyone please recommend a yard and give an idea of cost for a 50 footer within striking distance of our moorings at Crick?

Ta

Hi Neil, my understanding of epoxy blacking is it adheres much better to the steel hull, mainly due to the preparation I.E. sand/grit blasting.

Most propriety blacking would benefit from this expensive process and in my mind give better product performance in each case.

There is no doubt that epoxy products are much more robust than the other available alternatives, however my IMO using an epoxy system probably leads to extended periods between blacking. This may be going from 2/3 years to 6 years or longer.

A 13 to 15 tonne boat such as yours will come across all manner of under water static objects which will strip even the hardest hull coating off in seconds, I wouldn't like to see the effects of that in 5/6 years time.

Cheers

A

We had our last epoxy re-coat done at Union Canal carriers at Braunston about 3 years ago. Very reasonable price. Need to get it done again soon, but lack of water rather limited boat movement!

The original coating was applied over grit blasted steel and that work was done by Tony Galimore over at Boot Wharf in Nuneaton about 7 years ago.

Edited by Chalky

Hi Neil, my understanding of epoxy blacking is it adheres much better to the steel hull, mainly due to the preparation I.E. sand/grit blasting.

Most propriety blacking would benefit from this expensive process and in my mind give better product performance in each case.

There is no doubt that epoxy products are much more robust than the other available alternatives, however my IMO using an epoxy system probably leads to extended periods between blacking. This may be going from 2/3 years to 6 years or longer.

A 13 to 15 tonne boat such as yours will come across all manner of under water static objects which will strip even the hardest hull coating off in seconds, I wouldn't like to see the effects of that in 5/6 years time.

Cheers

A

Hi Neil

We have just had our boat grit blasted and epoxy coated by GBBS at Hillmorton, give Dave a call 01788 578661

Regards

Nigel

• 2 months later...

I'm looking to get mine grit blasted and epoxied before too long. I'm in the London area at the moment and I'd been expecting to have to travel quite a distance to find somewhere that will do it. However, given the situation at Tring at the moment, perhaps I need to be looking somewhere closer to home.

Does anyone know anywhere south of Tring that will do it?

Thanks

I'm looking to get mine grit blasted and epoxied before too long. I'm in the London area at the moment and I'd been expecting to have to travel quite a distance to find somewhere that will do it. However, given the situation at Tring at the moment, perhaps I need to be looking somewhere closer to home.

Thanks

Give John Pattle or Derek Harrison at P&S Marine a call on 01923 248372 ( Bridgwater basin at Cassio)- they blasted Jarrah for us at the end of 2010. We put the paint on, but could have paid them to do that too. They have their own crane, high stands, use a top-notch blaster called Gerry and the paint is Epidac.

N

Thanks

Winkell Dock (Middx & Herts Boat Services) just North of Hemel.

http://www.waterscape.com/services-directory/1395/middx-and-herts-boat-services

They do the baseplate and the rudder stock tube and say they guarantee it for 8 years (it's not cheap though!)

Edited by blackrose

Thanks for that, people.

High Line Yachting fitted my stove :o , so I think I'll give Winkwell Dock a try.

You could try MSO marine in Brentford, no idea of the cost but I really want somebody to have a go at having their blacking removed using high pressure water rather than grit, I'd be interested in the results. No idea how much it costs...

http://www.msomarine.co.uk/uhp1.html

Yes, that does look interesting. The picture (bottom left on the page you linked to) does seem to show a fair bit of rust being left, although I don't know how important it is to get it back to bright metal before painting.

Yes, that does look interesting. The picture (bottom left on the page you linked to) does seem to show a fair bit of rust being left, although I don't know how important it is to get it back to bright metal before painting.

Seems to be crucial looking at our hull when up on the transporter this November, having re-twopacked in May without going down to bare steel and wondering where all the evidence of our hard work had gone :wacko: Left in Belgian waters we think.

Seems to be crucial looking at our hull when up on the transporter this November, having re-twopacked in May without going down to bare steel and wondering where all the evidence of our hard work had gone :wacko: Left in Belgian waters we think.

Old 2-pack should be sanded down to give a key before applying fresh.

Tim

Well, that sounds pretty convincing. I think I'd better stick with the good old fashioned grit blasting in that case.

Thanks.

Edited by Cosmic

Well I wouldn't waste money putting epoxy on the sort of prepped steel.

I was told that the trouble with epoxy paint and its long life span you tend not to drag the boat out of water and forget about other maintenance issues annodes, prop, rudder etc

It's a reasonable point, but anodes last generally last for many years unless there's some electrical issue and you can always check the condition of your prop through the weedhatch. The rudder should be epoxied the same as the rest of the boat.

Edited by blackrose