DESPERATE NEED OF A TOW- RIVER LEE TO STORT

Nathan90

Featured Posts

Hello There,

After desperate searching on the internet and phoning a load of people, I am still unable to get anyone to tow my 60ft narrowboat (with an engine not working due to the piston rings packing up) up to the river stort from springfield marina on the river lee. I thought I would post this just on the off chance someone may know somebody with a pusher tug or know of someone going in that direction. I am just posting an SOS really. If anyone can help please let me know. It would be greatfully appreciated!!!!!! We would be more than happy to do all the locks and give a few quid for the trouble.!!!!!!!!

Hello There,

After desperate searching on the internet and phoning a load of people, I am still unable to get anyone to tow my 60ft narrowboat (with an engine not working due to the piston rings packing up) up to the river stort from springfield marina on the river lee. I thought I would post this just on the off chance someone may know somebody with a pusher tug or know of someone going in that direction. I am just posting an SOS really. If anyone can help please let me know. It would be greatfully appreciated!!!!!! We would be more than happy to do all the locks and give a few quid for the trouble.!!!!!!!!

Mr. Town's tug Constance is one sweet little tug and could do it, not sure where they are at present. Don't know how much he charges either. Then there's Mick the tug Hillier but he's normally West London based but reasonably priced. Or Wood Hall & Heward on 01895 820203. They've got lots of tugs. Or on the river Lee itself try Alan Wallace and Nato 2. Think Alan's company is called Smartbarge so should be in the phone book. Or try talking to one of the coal boats. They might strap you alongside for a fee. Not sure who is trading on the Stort at present.

HTH

D

ahhh thanks, I have tried mr town... he's way too expensive. Mick has brought us from paddington and can go no further due to other commitments,

so I will try the others first thing on monday....

anybody out there have any numbers for the blokes on the coal boats.. would be very much apreciated

ahhh thanks, I have tried mr town... he's way too expensive. Mick has brought us from paddington and can go no further due to other commitments,

anybody out there have any numbers for the blokes on the coal boats.. would be very much apreciated

Save money and manhaul it,with someone to steer,knock up a harness,a rope fixed it to your centre cleat,the steerer can help by poling too.Easy peasy. You could have been halfway there by now. bizzard.

Save money and manhaul it,with someone to steer,knock up a harness,a rope fixed it to your centre cleat,the steerer can help by poling too.Easy peasy....

...and while you're bowhauling, stick a sign on the back asking if someone could give you a tow.

Guest wanted

You could try Liz on Indus 07930347558 - don't call her a bloke though! :) good luck

I have never refused to tow another boat when approached personally by a stranger or an aquaintance. I may, or may not, respond to a sign saying "Tow Required" but it is worth a try. NB: hire boats are not usually insured for towing, please do not ask them.

Should I be towed I would expect to contribute a good drink* or £2/lock mile (minimum wage) plus expenses as a minimum. I would prefer a session in the local pub' at the towed boat's expense. I cannot drink more than £20 of beer (6 pints) in one session.

Similarly, I have often towed cars out of muddy laybys and been offered little thanks, let alone the change from their wallet. I have never received any compensation, not even a single beer! If you expect fellow boaters to give assistance please offer adequate thanks or we will become jaded and refuse to help.

My boat has served as a 'packet boat' - carrying a retirement fund collection between Thames locks and, as above, tugging. It would be fun to add other services to my boat's CV, suggestions please.

* In-the-trade a 'drink' is £100 and a 'good drink' £200. Maybe more with current inflation.

Alan

I have never refused to tow another boat when approached personally by a stranger or an aquaintance. I may, or may not, respond to a sign saying "Tow Required" but it is worth a try. NB: hire boats are not usually insured for towing, please do not ask them.

Should I be towed I would expect to contribute a good drink* or £2/lock mile (minimum wage) plus expenses as a minimum. I would prefer a session in the local pub' at the towed boat's expense. I cannot drink more than £20 of beer (6 pints) in one session.

Similarly, I have often towed cars out of muddy laybys and been offered little thanks, let alone the change from their wallet. I have never received any compensation, not even a single beer! If you expect fellow boaters to give assistance please offer adequate thanks or we will become jaded and refuse to help.

My boat has served as a 'packet boat' - carrying a retirement fund collection between Thames locks and, as above, tugging. It would be fun to add other services to my boat's CV, suggestions please.

* In-the-trade a 'drink' is £100 and a 'good drink' £200. Maybe more with current inflation.

Alan

Sounds to me as though you are asking for more than thanks. You are asking for payment, albeit sometimes in kind.

So the fact that you can help somebody is not enough? Do you ask them if they have the means to pay before you take the rope? I would always help somebody if they asked for help. I would not expect payment. A broken boat in the middle of nowhere is not fun, especially if you have other commitments. Believe me, I know!! A fellow boater helped me on that occasion and I have been able to offer assistance to two other boats in a similar situation. If I was in the area I most definitely would have helped.

Having been self employed for 45 years or so,and been caught,bitten many times if you like by either mean or lazy people,i tend to weigh people up more and cross examine them a little before making my mind up as to what monies to quote or indeed in genuine deserving cases whether or not to charge at all.As there are a lot of lazy wasters out there usually young living on boats on the cheap that just want to pick your brains and so on,so i tend to be quite cautious.

That reminds me,this boat that i suggested could be manhauled along and indeed it could,might be coming here.we are expecting two boats.

Ooooooh dither,dither,I'll have to now change Lady Olga's name. :wub:

In 30 years of boating I have ever passed a broken down boat without offering help or a tow, and I've always been a member of a boat club ;)

Indeed me too.But its a different ball game when its your living. bizzard.

I do think it is nice to give something back if you have been helped, but it's not always possible. Perhaps you are skint at the time, or your knight in shining armour doesn't drink, or you are nowhere near a pub and have no beer on board. It asn't always appropriate to offer money and can be insulting. After all, it is a gesture of gratitude and appreciation, not payment for someone's time or labour.

Far, far more important is to be prepared to offer help to others in return; not necessarily the same people who helped you as they will be the least likely to need it, but to pass on that good will when you meet someone who needs your help. Thev idea of karma is nice but it's also a prectical way of looking at things. If you ever feel resentful that your help hasn't been appreciated, or guilty that you haven't repaid a kindness, just remind yourself that they balance each other out in the end, over time.

I do think it is nice to give something back if you have been helped, but it's not always possible. Perhaps you are skint at the time, or your knight in shining armour doesn't drink, or you are nowhere near a pub and have no beer on board. It asn't always appropriate to offer money and can be insulting. After all, it is a gesture of gratitude and appreciation, not payment for someone's time or labour.

Far, far more important is to be prepared to offer help to others in return; not necessarily the same people who helped you as they will be the least likely to need it, but to pass on that good will when you meet someone who needs your help. Thev idea of karma is nice but it's also a prectical way of looking at things. If you ever feel resentful that your help hasn't been appreciated, or guilty that you haven't repaid a kindness, just remind yourself that they balance each other out in the end, over time.

Quite right Chertsey. I'm really an old softie at heart as indeed most tradesmen are.We're proud of our skills and actually quite enjoy practicing them,and not necessarily for money either.But its a hard world out there if you operate on a self employed ''solo'' basis,and one has to train oneself to be tough in order to be succesful. Everything you do,every decision you make whether right or wrong is down to you,no one to carry the can,no partner to lean on ect ect.OOh i'm gonna cry in a minute. Kind regards Bizzard.

Yes, it can be tricky if your profession frequently overlaps with the sort of help required and obviously sometimes people do try to take advantage and a line has to be drawn. I think it's fine too to say from the outset, I'm doing this in my professional capacity and it will cost you x, is that ok, certainly if you are actually passing up the opportunity of paid work to do it. If people try to take the piss word will get round eventually and the offers of help will dry up, likewise, if people refuse to help word will get around about them too. Better though I feel to err on the side of generosity and make the world a nicer place. There must be nothing more miserable than being one of those people who are always on the lookout for people taking advantage of them.

I prefer to help using the 'pass it on' theory, for my own mental health I prefer to keep any notion of work at work. I offer my thanks to people who have helped me in specifically appropriate ways. For some it might be cash for others it might be beer. Best of all though is if you can cook somebody a meal to say thank you, that always seems to make everyone happy.

I prefer to help using the 'pass it on' theory, for my own mental health I prefer to keep any notion of work at work. I offer my thanks to people who have helped me in specifically appropriate ways. For some it might be cash for others it might be beer. Best of all though is if you can cook somebody a meal to say thank you, that always seems to make everyone happy.

Yes, or cake!