A week out of Sawley - Oct 5th

jeddlad

Featured Posts

I'm planning a week cruise out of Sawley from October 5th. We will be a crew of 3.

Have cruised a fair few times, west from Sawley so have been to Shardlow, Willington, Burton, Fradley Junction a few times this season.

Anyone have any ideas / suggestions?

Dave

I'm planning a week cruise out of Sawley from October 5th. We will be a crew of 3.

Have cruised a fair few times, west from Sawley so have been to Shardlow, Willington, Burton, Fradley Junction a few times this season.

Anyone have any ideas / suggestions?

Dave

Soar or trent.............

Erewash...

ETA - out and back to Langley Mill from Sawley would take a few days - leaving a few more days to explore some of the Trent or the Soar.

Edited by MJG

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was thinking of the Erewash, Soar and Trent myself but was wondering if the river could be liable to flood in early October?

Dave

I'm afraid you have to take your chances. Have a look at the long range weather forecast for heavy rain.

My link

Alex

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was thinking of the Erewash, Soar and Trent myself but was wondering if the river could be liable to flood in early October?

Dave

Well if you didn't want to go west again they are just about the only options you have ;)

But yes - there is a flooding risk that could even prevent you getting out of Sawley onto the Trent or you could get trapped behind the flood gates/locks on the Soar or the Trent once out - you need to keep an eye on the weather and the yard should advise you accordingly as to the likely conditions....

If I was to choose any of them it would be the Erewash - but it's a personal favourite and not to everyone's liking. The Soar is in my view much prettier than the Trent but the Trent is a big wide river (we've only done the non tidal bit up to Newark), the big hydraulic locks which you will get to operate yourself this time of year are great fun to operate and work.

All three waterways appear in my blog if you are interested (with pictures) - that may help you decide.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we're having a great time on the River Soar. Came down from Sawley cut on Thursday morning, a bit windy but a nice sunny day. Moored just south of Loughborough after re-supplying in the town centre. Very handy moorings to go shopping!

Today was less windy and still sunny. Came down to Thurmaston, winded by MGM Boats and am now moored by the Hope and Anchor.

Heading back up the Soar tomorrow but will go straight ahead at Trent Lock rather than left to Sawley and go and spend a few days on the Erewash.

Great cruise so far, thanks for all the suggestions.

Dave

The Hope and Anchor is still as bad! I call these chain type food pubs, Boil in the bag! Still I can't complain, Mum and Dad love their boating, my Dad is very confident with Smokey Joe and he's 77 but neither of them can walk more than about 100 yards. The Hope and Anchor was handy as it was getting late and the pork chops in the fridge were 6 days past their eat by date.

Big up to Keith at the Albion - Canal Bank, Loughborogh. I had to go to a friend’s 40th b'day and after a taxi to Sawley to collect my car, a quick trip to Sheffield and then back to Loughborough where the boat was moored; Keith very kindly let me leave my car in his pub car park. I only popped in for a pint so I could claim I'd been a customer if there was a problem when I reclaimed the car. A few regulars in and some boaty people, numerous pints later I wobbled home to the boat. I did buy Keith a couple of halves so didn't feel too bad leaving my car there for 2 days. I really didn't think pubs like this existed anymore. very old school but very welcoming. Drop in for a pint if you're passing.

Off to the Erewash tomorrow with trepidation in my heart. Have heard more good stories than bad about the Erewash but the bad were bad!

Dave

Off to the Erewash tomorrow with trepidation in my heart. Have heard more good stories than bad about the Erewash but the bad were bad!

If you don't find these things too boring, one blogger reported a few days ago that there was a lot of weed at the start of the canal, but it's better the further up you go.

...Trent is a big wide river (we've only done the non tidal bit up to Newark), the big hydraulic locks which you will get to operate yourself this time of year are great fun to operate and work.

Are the (presumably non-tidal) Trent locks not manned at all at this time of year then?

OK, just googled. Til the end of BST. So that's not until the end of October.

Edited by Chertsey

Are the (presumably non-tidal) Trent locks not manned at all at this time of year then?

I don't believe they are manned between October and March -

I know when we did them last March they were not manned.

MJG goes off to double check if it's October they stop manning them.

OK, just googled. Til the end of BST. So that's not until the end of October.

Ah ah - cheers.

They were manned this morning when I came through Sawley locks.

Really liking the Erewash, lots of weed but nice friendly people, lots of waves and smiles. Only been down the weed hatch once todsay!

Now moored just north of Stanton Lock, rural location, lots of walkers, joggers, dog walkers and cyclists. All qiuet now as it's dark. Langley Mill tomorrow.

Hope I catch the bugger who is leaving the top gates and paddles open, it's a real pain in the backside closing both top gates and the gate and ground paddles each lock. THANKS whoever you are!

Dave

BUT when I came up on Sunday from the Soar to Sawley Cut, they were unmanned. I believe that even in Summer they are unmanned on a Sunday.