Radio Aerial

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

The present Radio Aerial on our boat is a standard folding Car Aerial similar to this one :- http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Products/Electrical/AudioVisual/Aerial/Aerials/Ag013.aspx . It is currently bolted to the roof extension which overhangs the front well, with the cable entering the boat through a hole in the bulkhead. The problem is that it lies flat under the cratch cover and cannot be folded into a vertical position when the cover is down, causing reception to be almost non-existant.

The aerial has degraded over the years and is due for replacememnt, however I do not want to fit a new one in the same non receptive position, but at the same time do not want to drill a hole in the cabin roof, where past experience with cars suggests that water will eventually seep in.

So far the only solution I have come up with is a bracket bolted to the roof with the aerial fitted on that, and a trailing cable into the present bulkhead hole, but it seems a bit Heath Robinson and prone to being damaged. I wondered what arrangements do other people have for siting their radio aerial? I want the aerial to be a permanent fixture and do not want one with a sucker or one which has to be put out every time we want to listen to the radio. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by David Schweizer

The present Radio Aerial on our boat is a standard folding Car Aerial similar to this one :- http://www.midlandch...ials/Ag013.aspx . It is currently bolted to the roof extension which overhangs the front well, with the cable entering the boat through a hole in the bulkhead. The problem is that it lies flat under the cratch cover and cannot be folded into a vertical position when the cover is down, causing reception to be almost non-existant.

The aerial has degraded over the years and is due for replacememnt, however I do not want to fit a new one in the same non receptive position, but at the same time do not want to drill a hole in the cabin roof, where past experience with cars suggests that water will eventually seep in.

So far the only solution I have come up with is a bracket bolted to the roof with the aerial fitted on that, and a trailing cable into the present bulkhead hole, but it seems a bit Heath Robinson and prone to being damaged. I wondered what arrangements do other people have for siting their radio aerial? I want the aerial to be a permanent fixture and do not want one with a sucker or one which has to be put out every time we want to listen to the radio. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I use a magnetic mount (much loved ? by Ham radio enthusiasts) and a longer whip aerial both for marine band and vhf FM bands (separate aerials...)

I then connect via plugs and sockets mounted on the pigeon box to avoid leaks.

That said I also have a conventional car Hella aerial (if you can still get them) drilled through the roof) not really suitable for NBs BUT it has never leaked, to such an extent that a lovely chrome plated clunky CB mount that I bought from eBay has never been used.

Too much detail perhaps, but you may be able to extract some sense from this post......

May need a hole in the roof but is this an alternative?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item415d808e8a

or this:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27be6a8cd6

You can also get "on-glass" antennae - these stick to each side of a single pain of glass and the two halves connect capacitively / inductively through the glass. They are commonly used on cars in the amateur fraternity to avoid the need to drill a permanent aerial into the roof ( lease cars ?) You do suffer a little signal loss, but on broadcast bands in most cases the signal strengths are probably fine in most areas. You can also unscrew the external whip when not on the boat or moored with it tow path side... Panorama is one such manufacturer, or doubtless available from good radio shops...

Nick

The present Radio Aerial on our boat is a standard folding Car Aerial similar to this one :- http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Products/Electrical/AudioVisual/Aerial/Aerials/Ag013.aspx . It is currently bolted to the roof extension which overhangs the front well, with the cable entering the boat through a hole in the bulkhead. The problem is that it lies flat under the cratch cover and cannot be folded into a vertical position when the cover is down, causing reception to be almost non-existant.

I use a magnet mount with a screw in aeriel. I don't keep it permanently stuck to the roof in case it traps damp and causes rust but it can be swiftly deployed when we are using the boat.

I bought the set-up from this chap. The website looks rather outdated but he knows his stuff and is very helpful.

http://garex.co.uk/index.htm

I use a magnet mount with a screw in aeriel. I don't keep it permanently stuck to the roof in case it traps damp and causes rust but it can be swiftly deployed when we are using the boat.

I bought the set-up from this chap. The website looks rather outdated but he knows his stuff and is very helpful.

http://garex.co.uk/index.htm

The guy is well thought of in amateur ( very critical people ) circles and has a great range of kit...

Nick

So far the only solution I have come up with is a bracket bolted to the roof with the aerial fitted on that, and a trailing cable into the present bulkhead hole, but it seems a bit Heath Robinson and prone to being damaged. I wondered what arrangements do other people have for siting their radio aerial? I want the aerial to be a permanent fixture and do not want one with a sucker or one which has to be put out every time we want to listen to the radio.

Which part of your solution do you fell looks prone to damage, the bracket or the cable?

If its the cable then:

Why not mount near a roof vent and feed the cable through that?

Or use a proper through bulkhead connector for the cable?

If its the bracket then there are some really amazing magnetic mounts available that will stand all sorts of forces, others have suggested a few.