River Severn & Avon high water levels

Fuzzy Canadian

Featured Posts

We are planning a narrowboat holiday for next April, including cruising on the Severn (as far south as Gloucester) and Avon. As Canadians we don't really have a feel for the weather at that time of year. What are the chances of highwater levels, to the point where it would not be advisable to be cruising. And if so, typically how long would we need to stay moored until the rivers are again safely navigable?

Thanks, John

Hi John, there are a lot of people more experienced than me to try and answer your question, but I will give it a go.

Water levels on both rivers can be extremely volatile, accordingly there is no real answer to your questions. Rainfall many miles away from the rivers can (within a matter of a couple of days) raise levels to make the rivers unnavigable. In my book unnavigable means that the water level is showing red on the marker boards at the locks.

Unfortunately there is no means of knowing the British rainfall we will have.

We have been on the Avon this summer for six weeks with very low levels.

A few summers ago the Avon flooded five times.

I would suggest you book your trip and go for it, if you have to alter your plans as levels allow, then you will still have a great vacation on our waterways.

Cheers

A

Hi John

As Ark Right says, just go for it. If the Avon & Severn are in flood, there's plenty of nice joined on canals you can try. We love the Avon but really only use the Severn above Gloucester as a through route to somewhere else, its not got a great deal of its own.(Takes cover)

Steve

Hi John

As Ark Right says, just go for it. If the Avon & Severn are in flood, there's plenty of nice joined on canals you can try. We love the Avon but really only use the Severn above Gloucester as a through route to somewhere else, its not got a great deal of its own.(Takes cover)

Steve

Steve, I agree with you the Severn is a transit route, for the benefit of John planning a trip then the Severn has many interesting stopping off places on route that should not be missed. (taking cover next to Steve)

Cheers A

Steve, I agree with you the Severn is a transit route, for the benefit of John planning a trip then the Severn has many interesting stopping off places on route that should not be missed. (taking cover next to Steve)

Cheers A

Yes, Gloucester for the G&S canal, Tewkesbury for the Avon, Worcester for the Worcester & Birmingham, Stourport for the S & W.

I cant think of any other reason to stop or be on the Severn.

(Digging deeper hole)

Steve

Yes, Gloucester for the G&S canal, Tewkesbury for the Avon, Worcester for the Worcester & Birmingham, Stourport for the S & W.

I cant think of any other reason to stop or be on the Severn.

(Digging deeper hole)

Steve

basically what people are saying that you cannot predist what the English weather/rivers are going to be like so far in advance. Some years it is easy, some years flooding and un-navigable. There's lots of options off the route, however, no-one can predict what the River severn itself would be like more that 7 days in advance..

river levels are published although an archive is hard to find.

The Avon comes up quick but the Severn is somewhat slower to rise; give it two days after the Avon; i.e. there's time to get off if it starts getting hairy.

We've done part of the Avon in flood and it was fun; if quick, the Severn was rising and into the red y the time we got off; it was somewhat more placid as there aren't so many wiers and what are there are big uns...

I'm sure somewher there will be an archive, but having moored where the closure notices go up for 5 years I've only seen them go up in the Autumn; i.e. this time of year.

Moored at Gloucester and aiming for Birmingham :unsure:

ed for spelling

Edited by Smelly

Beware the Severn Bore.... Beware....

As an Island Nation on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean we experience quick climate changes which are difficult to forecast with any longterm certainty.The Severn below Gloucester is not recommended for visitors or novice boaters Above Gloucester the Severn is welcoming and used by thousands of holiday makers without problems and rarely affected by tides..I have just returned from enjoying a few days boating including the newly opened Droitwich Canals, in company with many other happy boaters.Come and join us , its a wonderful world.

Mooring on the Severn and the Avon is limited, to say the least, you cannot just more to the bank.

As others have said the Severn is a transit route and the Avon, well I did not like it. Others do of course.

River levels cannot be predicted as it will depend on the weather and that is changeable, we have 'April Showers'.

If it rains in North Wales, then three days later the Severn will rise, also, although the Severn above Gloucester is 'Non-Tidal' on certain high tides then the weir at Gloucester is over-run and it is. (tidal)

Best advice is contact British Waterways and when on the Severn be advised by the lock keepers.

... there aren't so many wiers and what are there are big uns...

I've often wondered... presumably at some time or other a narrowboat has, through engine failure, inexperience, or simple incompetance, ended up going down a weir... yes?

If so, is the damage considerable, or minor?

Tony

I've often wondered... presumably at some time or other a narrowboat has, through engine failure, inexperience, or simple incompetance, ended up going down a weir... yes?

If so, is the damage considerable, or minor?

Tony

Chris Couburn's Progress got stuck on one:

Progress%20on%20wier.jpg

I seem to recall that one of the Harris tugs (Antartic? No. 1?) went over a weir on the Thames 20-odd years ago. It was successfully recovered, but I don't know how much damage was done.

David

As others have said, the Severn goes up in level a lot slower than the Avon. We have done Gloucester to Worcester in fairly high levels and virtually had the river 'closed' as we got off. The really bad years were the summers of 2007/2008. I agree that the Severn is rather boring, although it is a bit more scenic above Worcester. However, determined to find something good about it, we made it our mission one year to visit every pub on the navigable Severn. Can't say that any of them were truly memorable!

As others have said, the Severn goes up in level a lot slower than the Avon. We have done Gloucester to Worcester in fairly high levels and virtually had the river 'closed' as we got off. The really bad years were the summers of 2007/2008. I agree that the Severn is rather boring, although it is a bit more scenic above Worcester. However, determined to find something good about it, we made it our mission one year to visit every pub on the navigable Severn. Can't say that any of them were truly memorable!

A Belgian family in a hire boat came half over the Bevere weir and were rescued by Lockkeeper Don Smith in his Severn Punt. The boat was towed backwards by a Gloucester tug without any apparent damage.If you want a pub go up to Droitwich to the Hop Pole or visit the Indian Restaurant.