Is posting on fora using an alias cowardly?

Dominic M

Featured Posts

But you are also quite happy to accuse someone of 'libel/slander'

You did slander/libel someone. That cannot be denied.

whilst in the same sentence calling them an 'utter coward'

And you did it whilst hiding behind a made up name. What does that make you?

- have you been drinking tonight , or are you just plain thick?

Neither.

You did slander/libel someone. That cannot be denied.

And you did it whilst hiding behind a made up name. What does that make you?

Neither.

Are you not listening? Before - get that? - before I posted anything here, I said it all to the man's face. Does that make me deserving of the name coward? You on the other hand, are calling me an 'utter coward' from the safety of a forum posting. Pot? Kettle? Black?

I know of two female postere who use a pseudonym because the have been stalked in the past and wish to contribute whilst feeling secure in the knowledge that their identity is unknown to all but their friends. In such circumsatances it is surely reasonable to use name which does not identify them. Why people who are unlikey to offend others choose a pseudonym remains a mystery to me, but as they cause no offence it is a harmless diversion to which no one can really object.

What I do find cowardly is people who hide behind a pseudonym and give minimal or no information about themselves in their profile, and use that anononymity to be offensive and abusive to others. There have been quite few over the years.

Are you not listening? Before - get that? - before I posted anything here, I said it all to the man's face. Does that make me deserving of the name coward? You on the other hand, are calling me an 'utter coward' from the safety of a forum posting. Pot? Kettle? Black?

I think you're just angry because you came on this forum, hid behind a made up name, and slagged off another member. Then were somehwat shocked when (with the exception of a sock pupper or two) not a single person believed you.

I know of two female postere who use a pseudonym because the have been stalked in the past and wish to contribute whilst feeling secure in the knowledge that their identity is unknown to all but their friends. In such circumsatances it is surely reasonable to use name which does not identify them. Why people who are unlikey to offend others choose a pseudonym remains a mystery to me, but as they cause no offence it is a harmless diversion to which no one can really object.

What I do find cowardly is people who hide behind a pseudonym and give minimal or no information about themselves in their profile, and use that anononymity to be offensive and abusive to others. There have been quite few over the years.

Agreed. However, if it was against the law to hide behind anonymity on the internet then people would be no more likely to be stalked than they are in the real world. I think!

and gibbo isnt ya arogent git.....

I don't think that Gibbo has ever made his real name, identity, or location a secret. I certainly know it, and often refer to him by his first name, as far as I know Gibbo is his commonly used nickname.

Does that make me deserving of the name coward?

Well criticising people for being 'curtain twitchers' having an unhealthy interest in other peoples' lives certainly makes you a first class hypocrite, considering some of the stuff you've come out with in the past.

Unless you've come over to the dark side, of course....fight%20against%20darth%20vader.gif

i personally dont want this much info publically availible...if you do thats cool...

Thus proving I hide nothing. How did you find that if Gibbo isn't my name?

Edit: Oh I see you've had a change of heart and removed your post. How odd. I don't mind. I have nothing to hide.

Edited by Gibbo

I fail to see what difference it makes. I can understand that those members whose businesses are canal based should declare it and identify themselves properly, but surely any name is just a phrase you are known by. It would be bl**dy confusing if there were 200 John Smiths registered on here. And who's to say that even those who use what looks like a valid name is really genuine (anyone posted their birth certificate?

I've been known as Weeble for 40 years (7 years on here!)and those CWDF members that I've met have always referred to me as such in real life without any problem. For the record, my real-world name is Michael Jackson -- now how many of you still think I'm still pulling your leg? Now, will the real Elvis please stand up and be counted. B)

willy said -

my companion boat and I were supported by his crew and a number

of experienced boating volunteers from the IWA and the K & A Trust

That in itself says it all, maybe he thought he could make himself look clever in front of his droogs by making sarcastic remarks to a lady , he admits he chose to do so but did not explain why so maybe he was just showing off to his campanions .

Instead of complaining about him being named and shamed maybe people could take wills own admission that he acted like a t*** by being sarcastic to this lady and accept he is not such a fluffy nice as pie fella they think he is .

experienced boating volunteers

Met some of these me self , GIMME THE GUN.

Thus proving I hide nothing. How did you find that if Gibbo isn't my name?

Edit: Oh I see you've had a change of heart and removed your post. How odd. I don't mind. I have nothing to hide.

[/quote

i typed in ya boat name....look...iv met people on the forum...my boat names on hear and pics..i dont say things i wont say in the real world and i deleted the post because it wasnt fare to put it up...if youve got issues with others on hear im sure you can all sort it out...if you want to meet me i'll have a brew with you.....iv explained why i wont put my full name up and that that end of thread for me..........

Unless the Mods are prepared to verify the details of every new forum member to the nth degree I doubt very much if giving a name and address adds anything by way of a safeguard. And so, by the same token, not providing those details doesn't really take anything away.

Names, addresses and contact details can all be faked. In boating circles they're also very likely to become inaccurate very quickly, even if correct in the first instance, because many of us lead itinerant lives. That's the way it is.

If someone has a particular interest in something contentious, it is helpful if they state what their interest is. Whether they do so using their real name or an internet-only ID is irrelevant, provided they are prepared to stand by what they say and, if necessary, take any 'real world' flak that accompanies their online activities. The use of forum IDs in no way precludes or guarantees this, so who cares?

Those who are only interested in mud-flinging can be a problem, but they'd be a problem whatever name they chose. The issue of IDs isn't central to the debate.

I also agree with those who have mentioned the security issues associated with leaving either one's house or one's boat unattended for long periods of time. Too much information can be a bad thing.

• Greenie 2

I think handles are quite unacceptable, and everybody should use their real name. Also a real, up to date passport size photo of the member should be included in the profile. Hats, sunglasses, beards and long hair should be removed before said photos are taken.

In all seriousness I would be perfectly happy to give my details to the site owner, but would not want to make them public. I am a private person (as much as one can be.) I have met a few members of this forum and they had no idea who I was, with one exception. He guessed.

Edited by Guest

Surely it's just end of season high spirits?

It does indeed always get this way towards the end of the season. The gets progressively worse (better?) throughout winter.

I think handles are quite unacceptable, and everybody should use their real name. Also a real, up to date passport size photo of the member should be included in the profile. Hats, sunglasses, beards and long hair should be removed before said photos are taken.

Well at least you have the manners to put your photo on here.

I've been stalked - he's left me alone for now - thankfully he doesn't know where l live but it was terrifying how much he knew about me and he did fly to London to try and find me. Unfortunately l can't avoid having to use my real name and number on my website so he has called me. I don't use my own photo and my Facebook profile is private (always with a photo that isn't me).

Its not about being dishonest, its about being sensible and safe. Have to say I didn't think it was the norm to use a real names on bb's until I used this one. There are some fruitloops around on the internet - could tell you some stories.....if people want to think I've something to hide then fine, I'd rather that than get punched in the face or arrested by the police for something some troll has accused me of that isn't true -both have happened to friends.

I use an alias and hide my email im details for a very good reason.

When I first got onto the Internet I joined a certain forum about one of my other big interests which is rugby league.

Won't go into full details as it would take to long, but a group of about 10 people who about half where friends in the real world not just online got together and gave me a lot of abuse and hassle not helped by the fact that one of them was actually a moderator on the site.

The abuse I was getting now I think about it was cyber bullying although I would not admit that to myself at the time.

When I joined that site as I said I had only just started using the Internet and was very naive and had made my email public, which resulted in one of them constantly sending one swear word messages every time I logged onto my hotmail.

Which resulted in me having to change all my emails and ims.

So I am sure you can see from this post why I am reluctant to share certain information on here.

Suppose I could sign each post of with my first name but as I have noticed we have another poster already signing off with Steve I thought it might cause confusion lol.

But just to finish off, on that other site there where no make that are still some decent people as well and it was the backing I got off them that helped me to beat those causing me problems, I'm still on that site but the ones who caused me problems are banned.

In part because the site owner who for there own reason never had the time to run it handed it over to someone else who just happened to be one of the decent people and the first thing they did was ban those who had caused trouble

• Greenie 2

I think you're just angry because you came on this forum, hid behind a made up name, and slagged off another member. Then were somehwat shocked when (with the exception of a sock pupper or two) not a single person believed you.

You know what? I'm not the slightest bit angry any more. I vented my spleen at the man who unjustifiedly had a go at my wife (and what man of any courage wouldn't?) and have got on with my life. Others have ressurected the synonimity of anonymity with cowardice, to which I have replied. Having written this, I'm still not angry. Your hypothesis has exploded. Go to bed.