Fixing stuff to outside.

14skipper

Featured Posts

I have some solar panels to fit soon. The existing aluminium frame is fixed with pop rivets and has been there many years so I guess pop rivet it is. I need to take cables from one panel to the next. I have seen profiled self adhesive trunking (sort of half moon shape and shallow). Perhaps some of this between the two panels? What I plan to do then is use a mastic bead between the roof and the trunking (the self adhesive tape raises the trunking off the roof a tiny bit). We do this on dry land as we install CCTV cables for what seems like a lifetime! I will then paint the trunking the same colour as the roof.

I fitted an aerial cable. I used a light fitting to gain access to the inside where I threaded the cable through the roof lining by taking off the screws. Tricky but a completely hidden cable. Anyway, where I drilled the roof, I made it the same size as the cable and sealed with silicon. I thought a grommet would be too large a hole.

There are a number of professional type self adhesive pads available. I have seen some in B&Q again. A red backing. These are very strong.

Hope any of this helps.

Edited by Rob99fla

How do people fix things to the outside of boat for good strong waterproof fixing? Drill & Tap ?

And what about cables? example a aerial cable. drill hole fit grommet put cable in hole and seal round ?

14Skipper

I find the best method is to drill and tap, then use neoprene rubber or good butyl sealant to bed the fixing in, neoprene is better though.

For cable use proper cable glands, I like these in Stainless steel, http://www.rose-bopl...able_Glands.htm just buy the correct size gland for the cable, drill through boat insert cable and tighten up for a watertight seal.

Using grommets really isn't for external use, grommets generally protect cable through drilled holes in steel, they can be waterproof but Should the cable get snagged it will simply rip the grommet out, if not noticed you then have a leaking roof.

Cable glands grip the cable tightly creating a permanent seal.

Edited by Julynian

About two boats ago I looked for a pair of magnets to hold the back doors open as they had no hooks or catches. Of course I needed double-sided magnets, which I thought should have been easily available. Many shops later I found that they weren't. Even the ones in your advert appear to be single-sided. Is there nowhere that sells double-sided ones any more? One used to be able to find them; they were, er, magnet-shaped, i.e. shaped like a horseshoe.

Maybe they come in a jumbo size!

They do - check in B%Q (or probably Screwfix although I haven't checked).

Aren't they usually electro magnets tho so that they will release the doors if there is a fire?

Yes they are.

Tony

If you are doing a lot of holes / fixings then a Flow Drill is what you want

As it makes the hole it moves the metal to thicken the area so you can get more threads into it. You would need a mag drill to mount it on the boat.

Edited by Justme

Just remember magnets have a magnetic field and will cause corrosion in your steel, not a good idea on a steel boat. I've seen a few boats with magnets to hold doors open and allways there is corrosion locally.

I keep my sea searcher stuck on the gas bottle.

Are you sure? I've had my Sea Searcher in the same place on a bulkhead for fifteen years and there's not a speck of corrosion.

If you are doing a lot of holes / fixings then a Flow Drill is what you want

As it makes the hole it moves the metal to thicken the area so you can get more threads into it. You would need a mag drill to mount it on the boat.

How clever :)

Can I get one for my leccy drill? ;)

Are you sure? I've had my Sea Searcher in the same place on a bulkhead for fifteen years and there's not a speck of corrosion.

Here you go just one of many on the net. Not an expert in corrosion myself but seen many cases around magnets.

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=ASMECP002010044205000565000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes&ref=no

Not heard of fields causing corrosion before - can you supply some proof to support this statement...?

This one is better.

http://www.ifw-dresden.de/institutes/imw/sections/23/corrosion-in-magnetic-fields

Thanks, interesting. Seems to be more of an issue where corrosion is already taking place where an electrolyte is involved, so if you apply a magnet to an already protected (ie. painted surface) there shouldn't be a problem. I suspect the influence is small enough to be indistinguishable from the normal corrosion that would naturally take place.