Too Close For Comfort?

Doorman

Featured Posts

Whilst moored near Audlem village to be within staggering distance from the annual beer festival, we returned to our boat to find that a chap and his wife had managed to squeeze their 60 footer into a 60' gap. I politely explained to the couple that when boats pass this way they tend to go too fast and the resultant movement of our boat, along with theirs and the one in front of them could be something akin to a Newton's Cradle.

The chap offered to help me re-pin our mooring stakes and apologised for the inconvenience together with the offer of a pint at The Shroppie Fly, which I thought was very kind.

fbc35u.jpg

The question is; How close is too close?

Meldrew

Edited by Doorman

A miss is as good as a mile..... :closedeyes:

Yes, but in this case the lady moorer who was sixty foot in front of us, explained that the chap had to shunt her boat, as well as ours, in order to get his boat into the gap :wacko:

Meldrew

Don't be surprised if you find Elouise bresting a small dinghy in about 9 months time.

:lol:

Meaning both of you had mored selfishly... ;)

Meaning that while we were indulging ourselves at the beer festival, a shorter boat that had been moored in the gap previously, had moved on. Just as I intend to do in the next ten minutes! :P

Meldrew

Meldrew

As long as there is no actual boat to boat contact and the fenders are doing their job I'd happily moor that close to another boat, and have done at popular spots like Gargrave

Well WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM? do you want the whole bank to yourself!!!!

:lol:

Meaning that while we were indulging ourselves at the beer festival, a shorter boat that had been moored in the gap previously, had moved on. Just as I intend to do in the next ten minutes! :P

Meldrew

Well WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM? do you want the whole bank to yourself!!!!

Hello Dolly,

If you re-read the original post, you will notice the question below the photograph. Some of the answers in the following posts have answered that question, without resorting to the misguided assumption, that we selfishly expect a 10 metre gap between our boat and the next.

Under normal circumstances, when mooring, we tend to leave a little distance from the boat in front or behind us to preserve both their and our privacy. This, I believe, is being courteous to fellow boaters. It can be acknowledged as others have stated on this thread, that differing circumstances can be taken into consideration and allowances should be made accordingly. In this particular instance, the boater only had to travel some 80 metres further down the canal, whereby he would have had enough space to moor the bloody Titanic!

Meldrew

Edited by Doorman

But you were going so what was the problem?

Hello Dolly,

If you re-read the original post, you will notice the question below the photograph. Some of the answers in the following posts have answered that question, without resorting to the misguided assumption, that we selfishly expect a 10 metre gap between our boat and the next.

Under normal circumstances, when mooring, we tend to leave a little distance from the boat in front or behind us to preserve both their and our privacy. This, I believe, is being courteous to fellow boaters. It can be acknowledged as others have stated on this thread, that differing circumstances can be taken into consideration and allowances should be made accordingly. In this particular instance, the boater only had to travel some 80 metres further down the canal, whereby he would have had enough space to moor the bloody Titanic!

Meldrew

To be honest mooring close as in the original posters photo is common place on busy canals especially around areas like Bath on the K&A Even on our paid winter mooring we were only allowed a couple of metres either end.

In the summer though you're lucky to find any space and we've quite often moored fender to fender as others have against us. A space is a space if the boat doesn't impede to a point of causing damage or could be considered unsafe, then there's not much anyone can do about it other than move on if you don't like it.

Whilst moored near Audlem village to be within staggering distance from the annual beer festival, we returned to our boat to find that a chap and his wife had managed to squeeze their 60 footer into a 60' gap. I politely explained to the couple that when boats pass this way they tend to go too fast and the resultant movement of our boat, along with theirs and the one in front of them could be something akin to a Newton's Cradle.

The chap offered to help me re-pin our mooring stakes and apologised for the inconvenience together with the offer of a pint at The Shroppie Fly, which I thought was very kind.

fbc35u.jpg

Meldrew

ABOUT 5FT TO YOUR REAR THEN LIGHT THE BBQ ...LOL :)

fbc35u.jpg

Meldrew

TBH we have moored that close in the past when space was at a premium and have also allowed a boat to breast up to us.

Now that is the best way to make new boating friends

Hello Dolly,

Meldrew

I'm sure I've read an article somewhere about that particular vessel sinking, could be wrong though. 

Dan

Last year on the Thames this WAS a bit too close for comfort. We were moored and this big cruiser came along and tried to moor in front of us. When they saw that their boat would'nt fit in, they decided to let it rest against the side of our bow. When we said that we were not sure whether the two boats touching like that was such a good idea, they shrugged and said it would be allright.

IMG_1686.jpg

They put in a fender , but that did not stop the steel and the 'plastic' (no offence, just don't know a better word) boats touching.

IMG_1684.jpg

Setting off the next morning was not as easy as one should wish, there was another cruiser moored right behind us, so we could not go in reverse to get the bow clear without hitting that boat. Pushing out the stern before going backwards proved diffcult, the current pushed us back, but in the end we managed with the help of the people of that boat, who pushed our stern out and kept it there.