Instruction manual.

Featured Posts

Like many boat owners I have on very rare occasions lent out my boat to friends and family. To make Squeers a bit more understandable to non boaty people I have written an instruction manual, only six pages or so, it contains general information about the boat, how to keep it clean and simple maintenance tasks explained that may be required during a weeks cruise along with instructions and tips on how to actually start up and drive the thing.

I have also included a good deal of information on basic safety and the features of the local canals, how to use a lock, lift bridges, mooring and the like. I have added to and edited mine regularly over the years, it is amazing how much you forget to include initially.

I have found that giving them a copy of the manual in advance of their trip makes them take things seriously and gives an insight into what they are taking on, I even threaten to test them on it.

All boats of course are different but on the grounds that it is far easier to edit an existing document than starting from scratch, I will be happy to Email it to anyone who is interested.

That is a super idea, and something I am trying to do myself. The last boat I was on came with a short instruction book, and it was brilliant! Especially as it outlined the solutions to 'things that might go wrong' I would never have thought of fixing things in that particular fashion.

I am also writing a book that will tell of all the materials etc I have used in the re-fit, and where to find everything.

I just hope that it will be easy to follow! I have certainly made use of them in the past, and have adopted the tradition.

Edited by Bones

Your have one for your house, one for the car, one for every piece of electrical gear you get from the stores (in a dozen different languages but that may be a bit much for a boat!!).

It is one of the things I am suprised that hire companies don't do. It is one thing to have a quick half an hour instruction (if you are lucky!) but once out on the cut it is good to have something to refer to.

I have done mine with pictures as I am not too good with the descriptions.

It is one of the things I am suprised that hire companies don't do. It is one thing to have a quick half an hour instruction (if you are lucky!) but once out on the cut it is good to have something to refer to.

We had a very good and comprehensive (but plain-speak, easy to follow) manual onboard our Alvechurch-managed boat.

mine is purely incase I sell the boat again. I can't imagine knowing anyone that would take mine on holiday -If my crew ever decided to take it out by themselves I am quite confident it would take them over a week to work out they weren't moving and that they had to do something to make it move! They would drink tea, paint and read, and then get off the boat a week later saying what a lovely holiday they had! :wacko:

mine is purely incase I sell the boat again. I can't imagine knowing anyone that would take mine on holiday -If my crew ever decided to take it out by themselves I am quite confident it would take them over a week to work out they weren't moving and that they had to do something to make it move! They would drink tea, paint and read, and then get off the boat a week later saying what a lovely holiday they had! :wacko:

One of my friends borrowed my first boat for a week, most unlikely sort of boater I thought he and his wife would hate it. Within four weeks he had placed an order for one of his own.

Makes you feel like a drug pusher.

The boat does of course have a technical manual as well, that contains all the technical data, wiring diagrams, all appliance data sheets etc.

We had a very good and comprehensive (but plain-speak, easy to follow) manual onboard our Alvechurch-managed boat.

Same here.

That company has a lot to answer for, I'm sure thats where I caught the boating bug, have found that ordering own boat has alleviated the condition slightly :lol::wacko:

I'm doing my RCD declaration of conformity which includes a full 'Owner's Manual' according to the specified format. I was just thinking the other day that I will share the final document with others who are on the same self-certification route.

Having your instruction manual would be very helpful and I will happily plagiarise the relevant bits, John.

Yes please, e-mail it to me. :wacko: thanks.

I'm doing my RCD declaration of conformity which includes a full 'Owner's Manual' according to the specified format. I was just thinking the other day that I will share the final document with others who are on the same self-certification route.

Having your instruction manual would be very helpful and I will happily plagiarise the relevant bits, John.

Yes please, e-mail it to me. :wacko: thanks.

Hi Chris.

Yes I will send it with pleasure but you may not find much of it relevent, I do have a full Technical Manual as well but it simply contains all the technical stull without much text.

My first boat had a basic manual - it helped a lot. The next one - well, the wiring etc was basic, controls basic - so not a problem.

Oh, lord, could we have done with one for the sailing barge. It took us *2 hours* to find the switches for the masthead navigation lights.

When we purchased our boat we were obviously very lucky and were supplied with a complete instruction manual which even went as far as 'how to clean the surfaces including sinks and shower curtains, and the best solutions to use'

• 2 weeks later...

........on another thread I have asked what would be involved in complying an older shell with the latest RCD etc. I am aware that I would need a "registration number" and a "builders plate" would this "manual" help as well?

Judging by the number of requests perhaps you could consider "pinning" it....

If not could I have one as well please

:)