Who do some people think they are ??

kiki

Featured Posts

But was it not the same at the IWA festival at Burton on Trent this year? What gives the IWA the right to charge something like £50 to moor on a towpath? Why does BW allow such a thing? It would not be so bad if the actually provided anything, but when I rang up the woman organising it, there was no services provided for your money by the IWA at all. No rubbish disposal, no water boat, no elsan boat nought at all.

It was a rip off. She said I could be moored up to 1.5 miles from the Festival site. So I said no thank you and did not go.

But was it not the same at the IWA festival at Burton on Trent this year? What gives the IWA the right to charge something like £50 to moor on a towpath? Why does BW allow such a thing? It would not be so bad if the actually provided anything, but when I rang up the woman organising it, there was no services provided for your money by the IWA at all. No rubbish disposal, no water boat, no elsan boat nought at all.

It was a rip off. She said I could be moored up to 1.5 miles from the Festival site. So I said no thank you and did not go.

I agree. However, if BW are involved in the event then they use their powers to suspend mooring before,during & after. You can't really argue against that --- although you may not like it.

Having said that, I can't see why a Cruising Club should be allowed to take over public moorings when they feel like it.

There's some pathetic whinging on this thread,truly pathetic whinging about a minor inconvenience. What are we 3 pages exercised about? A club using a mooring twice a year? Is this the end of the world?

Suggestion: go somewhere else this weekend and go to bugsworth next weekend.

Is that so hard? So inconvenient?

Or even, if you're a sociable type, join in and if you're not why do you want to moor at a busy spot bank holiday weekend? Go somewhere else.

Pathetic.

I so agree with the topic title, who do you lot think you are that you can decide what does or doesn't happen there.

Edited by Chris Pink

Of course the glaring point that is raised in this thread (oh welcome to the fair Mrs Tuohey) is that while we are discussing selfishishness, bullying attitude and arrogant territorial behaviour, not once has the club been mentioned by name YET everyone knows exactly who we are talking about.

Perhaps if said Little Man Ex Commodor - always looking for members person, gave a bit of thought to the impressiion his club gives to boaters on the waterways, he might learn a lesson or rethink his behavour - I somehow doubt it though.

I don't know who the people /club are and I'm feeling very left out. Will nobody enlighten me?

If only to enable to me to avoid them.

Bob.

There's some pathetic whinging on this thread,truly pathetic whinging about a minor inconvenience. What are we 3 pages exercised about? A club using a mooring twice a year? Is this the end of the world?

Or even, if you're a sociable type, join in and if you're not why do you want to moor at a busy spot bank holiday weekend? Go somewhere else.

Pathetic.

I so agree with the topic title, who do you lot think you are that you can decide what does or doesn't happen there.

In answer, we are the winging pathetic licence payers of British waterways who choose to avail ourselves of the facilites available to us, freely when we choose to, I would not join this group of bullies if it was the last club on the waterways, their behaviour belies everything that boating stand for, freedom of movement, of occupation for a legal lengh of time, respect for others on thewaterways, and why the hell should I go somehwere else, i will not be pushed out of the only pleasant and relaxing space provided for us within a large radius.

and now to add to our joy that it is well past the legal hour for noise control, the marquee, which was erected in defiance of BW explicit instructionn is now regurgitating a repeptitive durge that can only be likened to a conga line of flatulant orangutangs

Thanks Chris for reminding me of all I hate about the arrogance of organistaions who throw their weight around and leave individuals voices unhheard, "who do I think I am.....I am you and every other unallied boater when you find yourself in a similar situation where your rights and privilages are flouted in the name of the herd mentality.

#Edited to say: note to self: Don't post at midnight after a bottle of home made cherry vodka. I am quite fond of orangutangs, flatulant or not.

Edited by kiki
  • Greenie 1

\\in answer, we are the winging pathetic licence payers of British waterways who choose to avail ourselves of the facilites available to us, freely when we choose to, I would not join this group of geriatric selfish and self centred bullies if it was the last club on the waterways, their behaviour belies everything that boating stand for, freedom of movement, of occupation for a legal lengh of time, rspect for others on thewaterways, and why the hell should I go somehwere else, i will not be pushed out of the only pleasant and relaxing space provided for us within a large radius.

and now to add to our joy that it is well past the legal hour the marquee, which was erected in defiance of BW explicit instructionn by said club, is now regurgitating a repeptitive durge that can only be likened to a conga line of flatulant orangutangs

Thans Chris for reminding me of all I hate about the arrogance of organistaions who throw their weight around and leave individuals voices unhheard, "who do I think I am.....I am you when you find yourself in a similar situation where your rights and privilates are flouted in the name of the herd mentality.

I presume that is the Rear Commodore?

Without the 40 year volunteer effort put in by the IWPS there would be no Bugsworth Basins to tie up in... :closedeyes:

Having been a supporter of the Warwickshire Air Ambulance, for many years, can now I go and claim my exclusive weekend of fun, flying round the Midlands skies, and not let anyone else use it for that time?...:closedeyes:

Edited by carlt

Pathetic.

Note to Chris..again - So how big does an inconvenience or a disregard for the rigts of other have to be? I did state that no one cried and no one died (not yet anyhow but the day is still young) .....after all I only parked in that disabled parking space for a few hours to do my shopping, I only parked on that double yellow on the high street to pop into the post office, I only moored my boat in the lock long enough to have my tea.......you tell me.

• Greenie 1

Note to Chris..again - So how big does an inconvenience or a disregard for the rigts of other have to be? I did state that no one cried and no one died (not yet anyhow but the day is still young) .....after all I only parked in that disabled parking space for a few hours to do my shopping, I only parked on that double yellow on the high street to pop into the post office, I only moored my boat in the lock long enough to have my tea.......you tell me.

You didn't say that the whole basin was reserved for disabled boaters.

If I was to go to any of the busy and popular mooring locations on bank holiday weekend I would expect to find it full of people enjoying themselves in whatever manner they like to, whether as part of a club or not If I'm sensible I'll go somewhere else that weekend and go there the weekend after.

If I was to make judgement on your choice of entertainment I would almost certainly not like it and could easily be as rude as you are, so what has your opinion of theirs got anything to do with it?

I used to have a friend who lived opposite Brighton football ground which, on a Saturday afternoon, curtailed my right to visit him. Unfortunately my attempts to get the games cancelled were unsuccessfull

Edited by Chris Pink

You didn't say that the whole basin was reserved for disabled boaters.

If I was to go to any of the busy and popular mooring locations on bank holiday weekend I would expect to find it full of people enjoying themselves in whatever manner they like to, whether as part of a club or not If I'm sensible I'll go somewhere else that weekend and go there the weekend after.

If I was to make judgement on your choice of entertainment I would almost certainly not like it and could easily be as rude as you are, so what has your opinion of theirs got anything to do with it?

I used to have a friend who lived opposite Brighton football ground which, on a Saturday afternoon, curtailed my right to visit him. Unfortunately my attempts to get the games cancelled were unsuccessfull

Chris the point is that the club in question were told categorically that they could not reserve spaces nor could they erect a marquee, they did it anyhow. No one was told they could not parknexct to Brighton football club.

Ignoring the rights of others and defying orders from an authority in control of an area is hardly the same thing as parking up legally for a football game....why didn't you just go and visit a different friend ??

Exactly so. We are in agreement, you can go and visit a different mooring.

Uhm I was being sarcastic on that one Chris, sorry you didn't pick up on it - verbal ping pong can be quite challenging I know.

However I dont wish to let this be reduced to a he said so she said back scenario, my choice of entertainment is not inflicted on the general public as polishin my set of Diana mugs,keeping cutting from the Daily Mail and pulling the legs off small insects can be done in the privacy of my own home.

Edited by kiki

my choice of entertainment is not inflicted on the general public as polishin my set of Diana mugs,keeping cutting from the Daily Mail and pulling the legs off small insects can be done in the privacy of my own home.

Well that will be a relief to the good people of the NCCC.

I am so glad you found something else to occupy yourself on this Bank Holiday rather than hanging around Bugsworth and sulking.

Exactly so. We are in agreement, you can go and visit a different mooring.

I understand, and sympathise to some extent with what you are saying Chris, but Kiki also has a point. If you arrive at Bugsworth, where there is normally plenty of space, even in August, and find that most of the Basin has been comandeered by a boat club for their rally, could be a problem. We visited Bugsworth twice in August five years ago, and it was almost empty, so to find it unexpectedly full of boats could present some difficulty in finding an alternative place to moor, unless one of the (very few) visitor moorings at Whaley Bridge are free. Both Whaley Bridge and Bugsworth basin are dead ends and the Peak Forest Canal is so shallow and narrow that trying to moor anywhere else in the area is almost impossible.

Now, I do not know whether the event was well publicised and whether Kiki failed to read posted notices advising of possible mooring problems, but assuming that the event has been taking place for a number of years, I never saw any advance notices when we were up there, and we were there just before the Bank Holiday.

I am sure, Chris, that you will recall the Annual Rallies that the K&A Trust used to hold at Bradford on Avon Wharf, and the congestion and difficulties they created for boaters not involved in the event, along wth the justified complaints about the arrogance of (some of) the the Rally Organizers. Perhaps you were able to keep well away, (and it is possible to find somewhere else not far from Bradford) but I, as one of the volunteers at the time, felt distinctly embarrassed by the behaviour of some of the Stewards, and I do wonder whether Kiki is experiencing a similar overzealous attitude from some of the Bugsworth event officials.

I am sure, Chris, that you will recall the Annual Rallies that the K&A Trust used to hold at Bradford on Avon Wharf, and the congestion and difficulties they created for boaters not involved in the event, along wth the justified complaints about the arrogance of (some of) the the Rally Organizers. Perhaps you were able to keep well away, (and it is possible to find somewhere else not far from Bradford) but I, as one of the volunteers at the time, felt distinctly embarrassed by the behaviour of some of the Stewards, and I do wonder whether Kiki is experiencing a similar overzealous attitude from some of the Bugsworth event officials.

You might be right, not what they said but the way they said it.

I never ever had any problem with any of the boat gatherings at Bradford - in fact it was quite good fun to wind an old boat with an audience, nothing like a bit of pressure. And I certainly wouldn't expect 'service as normal' on any bank holiday or easter at Bradford lock or Wharf. Exactly my point.

I have no patience whatsoever for anyone who goes to something popular on a bank holiday, canal or otherwise, and then moans about it being busy.

If Bugsworth is normally free then it doesn't seem outrageous a boat club should use it twice a year. And if it is one of the only mooring spots I would expect it to be rammed rally or not.

You might be right, not what they said but the way they said it.

I never ever had any problem with any of the boat gatherings at Bradford - in fact it was quite good fun to wind an old boat with an audience, nothing like a bit of pressure. And I certainly wouldn't expect 'service as normal' on any bank holiday or easter at Bradford lock or Wharf. Exactly my point.

I have no patience whatsoever for anyone who goes to something popular on a bank holiday, canal or otherwise, and then moans about it being busy.

If Bugsworth is normally free then it doesn't seem outrageous a boat club should use it twice a year. And if it is one of the only mooring spots I would expect it to be rammed rally or not.

Fair enough, but I don't think that Kiki was planning to visit a rally. The point I was trying to make was that if there was no advance notice of the event, and assuming that she is not local, how was she to know that it was advisable to stay away until after the Bank Holiday weekend. If there was advance notice, then she has no excuses.

When we were up there, there were plenty of notices advising about the Historic Working boat rally at Bugsworth, which had taken place the previous weekend, but none about the NCCC rally.

Edited :- to remove triple posting!!

Edited by David Schweizer

Chris the point is that the club in question were told categorically that they could not reserve spaces nor could they erect a marquee, they did it anyhow.

Oops --ETA -- Chris/David

Is not this the point, no notice & they were told not to do it?

Edited by Midnight Rider

Chris the point is that the club in question were told categorically that they could not reserve spaces nor could they erect a marquee, they did it anyhow. No one was told they could not parknexct to Brighton football club.

Ignoring the rights of others and defying orders from an authority in control of an area is hardly the same thing as parking up legally for a football game....why didn't you just go and visit a different friend ??

Do you imagine that this is an option for Mr Pink?

Without the 40 year volunteer effort put in by the IWPS there would be no Bugsworth Basins to tie up in... :closedeyes:

Indeed so, and I applaud them for it.

However, I feel sure that at the time they were doing so, and applying for grants to assist them, they generally implied that it was being restored for the benefit of all, rather than just a select clique.

The point is that when Kiki arrived, the basin was NOT full.

Rather, a large proportion of the mooring was taken up by boats deliberately mooring in such a way as to prevent other boats mooring, and people deployed to warn off non-members from the mooring.

Non-members of the club had difficulty finding moorings not because it was full when they arrived, but because the club had gone all out to reserve moorings for other club members.

Thanks for that bit of sense assorted Davids - as I will say again....for those not paying attention the first time, :closedeyes: boats were moored up with half to 3/4 of a boat lengh between them, there was no advance warning and locals which included those at New Mills were told with some authority that BW had specifically forbidden the putting up of a marquee and the reserving of spaces, so it was surely to be expected that there would be space to moor up. Mr S is also correctg to say there is little other option other than Bugsworth, and it certainly helps to be better informed befor playing devil's advocate - it also helps to have some sense of the irony/humour or you end up looking like a bit of a winge yourself - gotta go now, I see a ladybug on the wall......

Well that will be a relief to the good people of the NCCC.

I am so glad you found something else to occupy yourself on this Bank Holiday rather than hanging around Bugsworth and sulking.

Indeed they did.

The New Mills "not a cruising club, oh no sir" held a very pleasant little soiree, far more fun than assorted Rear Commodores strutting around.

Unfortunately we were unable to go up by boat this weekend, but we were able to join them by car, and a very pleasant time was had by all.

As a member of the club which is receiving some unwarranted criticism I would like to make a few points. First of all, the club per se should not be condemned simply because it has members who cause offense to other boaters. There are many members working within the club to improve its image. Unfortunately their efforts are undermined whenever a member behaves unreasonably.

I am not at Bugsworth this weekend but I have been asked to pass on one or two things. First of all, I am informed that the club does have permission to erect their marquee. Do the posters of some of this criticism, moored together at Bugsworth, one a past club member, (they know who they are) have permission to erect their gazebo?

Secondly, there are only five club boats now moored in Bugsworth who were there on Wednesday. The most fervent posters of criticism on this thread are still moored at Bugsworth and have been there since Wednesday. I note that a translation of the boat name of one of these posters is 'you are talking nonsense' - enough said!

Please do not condemn a boat club with plenty of friendly members on the basis of misinformation and the poor social skills of some of its members.

As a member of the club which is receiving some unwarranted criticism I would like to make a few points. First of all, the club per se should not be condemned simply because it has members who cause offense to other boaters. There are many members working within the club to improve its image. Unfortunately their efforts are undermined whenever a member behaves unreasonably.

I am not at Bugsworth this weekend but I have been asked to pass on one or two things. First of all, I am informed that the club does have permission to erect their marquee. Do the posters of some of this criticism, moored together at Bugsworth, one a past club member, (they know who they are) have permission to erect their gazebo?

Get your house in order then, and ensure that you get rid of the reputation.

Reserving half the mooring space in the basins, such that other boaters can't moor, but your mates who arrive later can isn't a couple of problem people, it is organised arrogance.

So far as the erection of a Marquee is concerned, I am assured by BW that no formal application to hold an event has been received, and that as such no permission could have been given by them. If you think otherwise, perhaps the club would care to post a copy of the letter granting permission.

I have it in writing, from BW, confirming that a small group of boaters erecting a gazebo that causes no obstruction does not constitute an event, and does not require permission, but that erecting a marquee and taking over a significant part of the basin does.

• Greenie 1