A great summer for fruiting crops...

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

This sumer has been the best yet for the plants I grow in pots on the roof. Had loads of stawberries and alpine strawbs; still harvesting cherry tomatoes by the bowlful; this is the first year I've managed to get peppers and chillis to fruit as well. :clapping:

However there have been the BIGGEST f*ck-off sized spiders on the boat. :help: The kind that cast a shadow! Way more than usual. By the autumn I am usually traumatised by 2 or three giant beasts of spiders (excluding the littler ones that lurk in windows). This week alone there have been 3 monsters in the galley and I've cleaned up cobwebs in the back cabin which contained those horrible spider-shaped shells they leaves behind - suggesting there's more in there. :banned: And one nasty git of spider strolled casually past me in the studio in the middle of the boat this week, but I wasn't able to blat him quick enough before he escaped. :ninja:

I think if the climate trade-off for great homegrown crops is a tarantula take-over, I'd rather go to Sainsburys. :(

• Greenie 1

This sumer has been the best yet for the plants I grow in pots on the roof. Had loads of stawberries and alpine strawbs; still harvesting cherry tomatoes by the bowlful; this is the first year I've managed to get peppers and chillis to fruit as well. :clapping:

However there have been the BIGGEST f*ck-off sized spiders on the boat. :help: The kind that cast a shadow! Way more than usual. By the autumn I am usually traumatised by 2 or three giant beasts of spiders (excluding the littler ones that lurk in windows). This week alone there have been 3 monsters in the galley and I've cleaned up cobwebs in the back cabin which contained those horrible spider-shaped shells they leaves behind - suggesting there's more in there. :banned: And one nasty git of spider strolled casually past me in the studio in the middle of the boat this week, but I wasn't able to blat him quick enough before he escaped. :ninja:

I think if the climate trade-off for great homegrown crops is a tarantula take-over, I'd rather go to Sainsburys. :(

Incey Wincey spider climbed up the spout.

Along came the rain and washed the spider out,

Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,

Incey Wincey spider up the spout again. :mellow: bizzard.

There's nowt incey or wincey about these feckers that have moved in. They're not even contributing to a share of the bills. And they don't spin pretty cobwebs. They make Miss Haversham dining table ghost train hammer horror veils of arse-silk laden with zombie flies and empty spider-shaped babygrows.

I have a new device for spiders I cant squash em shudders but we have had loads and they are driving me crazy. I was at the boot today and I brought a car vaccumm so now I suck em up that.I dont know where they are coming from but in the morning its like we are being wrapped in a cocoon of webs. If anyone is coming past Barry Hawkins on the Coventry and wants loads of elder berries we have a big bush of them that wont be used.Just let me know

i cant believe you are afeared of spiders.... :shakes head sadly:

you could try the 'flooding' technique to cure it?

No its not working :lol:

There's nowt incey or wincey about these feckers that have moved in. They're not even contributing to a share of the bills. And they don't spin pretty cobwebs. They make Miss Haversham dining table ghost train hammer horror veils of arse-silk laden with zombie flies and empty spider-shaped babygrows.

:lol::lol::lol:

I was very sceptical, but decided to try the conker deterrent method. Collected conkers last autumn and left them in strategic places. Can count the number of spiders this year on the fingers of two hands. No guarantees, but I'm not the only one.

Mix a solution of water and vinegar 50/50 and wipe down all your paint and varnish work,they don't like it.But have a little chat with them first to warn them of your intentions. Revives old varnish work to look like new too.bizzard

... If anyone is coming past Barry Hawkins on the Coventry and wants loads of elder berries we have a big bush of them that wont be used.Just let me know

No its not working :lol:

where's BH then? i'm between Nuneaton & Atherstone heading north will i be coming past?

Ah you obviously need more spiders

oh you've got me in the mood now... i'm going to have a forage tomorrow. there's lots of blackberries about at the moment

Dont pick the low ones :lol::lol: you can make crumble from them its nice with apples as well let me know if when you are coming through and i will get you a bag full and show you where the plum trees are.

Did you know that if you pull their legs off they will go deaf ?

However there have been the BIGGEST f*ck-off sized spiders on the boat.

They were laughing at me, at the boatyard, last weekend because I rescued all the spiders I could find, relocating them into one of the abandoned boats, prior to spraying 2 gallons of cuprinol 5 star around my hull.

There were some genuine monsters lurking in the cupboards and, if you don't like spiders, never get a pram hood.

They were laughing at me, at the boatyard, last weekend because I rescued all the spiders I could find, relocating them into one of the abandoned boats, prior to spraying 2 gallons of cuprinol 5 star around my hull.

There were some genuine monsters lurking in the cupboards and, if you don't like spiders, never get a pram hood.

Snakes rats bats even scorpions i like spiders no no no

cool, i'll pm you. it'll be sunday morning but i'll stop at the top if i can for shopping. or maybe stop in one of the long pounds & walk back up

Its easier for shopping if you come down the locks and moor just past the Kings head or you can moor at the top of the flight and walk into town.The shops open at ten.hope to see you then

Did you know that if you pull their legs off they will go deaf ?

And they will then look like large currents :lol:

Edited by romarni123

I was very sceptical, but decided to try the conker deterrent method. Collected conkers last autumn and left them in strategic places. Can count the number of spiders this year on the fingers of two hands. No guarantees, but I'm not the only one.

I've had limited success with conkers. These beasties are big enough to pick them up and juggle with them.

The only solution you need is a spider deterrent spray, gently persuades them to go elsewhere. Its called, strangely enough "No More Spiders"

Can be bought here

We have only just purchased this item from a hardware shop in Upton on Severn, so far just used it in the cratch...... Spider free zone declared !

Regards

A

I bought a spider deterrent spray. Followed the destructions to the letter. Within 2 days a spider had strung a web across three of the four treated lengths of the window frame. It was quite happy. I'm tempted to learn from the Earwigs thread and use a flea pesticide however I'm not nuts about using chemicals around the home if I can help it. When autumn hits it'll be the arachnid biblical equivalent of exodus from the outdoors in. Maybe then my phobia will outweigh my dislike of chemicals!

Ark Right, would you mind reporting back next week. If the cratch is still spider free I might invest in your product of choice!

I bought a spider deterrent spray. Followed the destructions to the letter. Within 2 days a spider had strung a web across three of the four treated lengths of the window frame. It was quite happy. I'm tempted to learn from the Earwigs thread and use a flea pesticide however I'm not nuts about using chemicals around the home if I can help it. When autumn hits it'll be the arachnid biblical equivalent of exodus from the outdoors in. Maybe then my phobia will outweigh my dislike of chemicals!

Ark Right, would you mind reporting back next week. If the cratch is still spider free I might invest in your product of choice!

Yes will be happy to, we bought it because of all the positive comments on the web rolleyes.gifabout it

Cheers

A