Thames Ring

Proper Job

Featured Posts

It's time for the annual busmans holiday :boat:

Tonight (stage 1 - 1 mile to the pub) we start off for a two week jaunt (well... 16 days if you include the extra weekend) round the Thames ring.

We're doing the clockwise route: Up the Southern Oxford (water permitting :lol: ), hang a right at Braunston, down the Union, left on to the Regents and down to Limehouse.

If all goes well we should be catching the tide on Tuesday 16th to start the potter back up the Thames to Oxford

If you're out and about, give us a wave

Happy days B)

:cheers:

Tonight (stage 1 - 1 mile to the pub) we start off for a two week jaunt (well... 16 days if you include the extra weekend) round the Thames ring.

We're doing the clockwise route: Up the Southern Oxford (water permitting :lol: ), hang a right at Braunston, down the Union, left on to the Regents and down to Limehouse.

If all goes well we should be catching the tide on Tuesday 16th to start the potter back up the Thames to Oxford

Happy days B)

How do Mr Job,

Sounds superb. Now that we are moving to Reading I'm at some point going to have to do the Thames. Starting from Braunston as the boat will be staying there for a while.

Could I ask a couple of questions?

Apart from the licence is there much more needed to go onto the Thames and is there certain protocol?

Also, maybe I should have started with this, my engine is a Lister LPW2 18hp 2600rpm. Will I have enough power to cope?

I would love to hear how the trip went when you get chance to log on at some point.

Cheers Terence :cheers:

• Greenie 1

How do Mr Job,

Sounds superb. Now that we are moving to Reading I'm at some point going to have to do the Thames. Starting from Braunston as the boat will be staying there for a while.

Could I ask a couple of questions?

Apart from the licence is there much more needed to go onto the Thames and is there certain protocol?

Also, maybe I should have started with this, my engine is a Lister LPW2 18hp 2600rpm. Will I have enough power to cope?

I would love to hear how the trip went when you get chance to log on at some point.

Cheers Terence :cheers:

As long as you've got a licence every thing else will soon fall in to place. Listen to the advice from the lockies when transiting through the locks and you'll be fine.

There will be a lot of people on here that will say your engine will be to small. I'd say cobblers to 'em.

I've spent many a happy hour behind a Petter PH2 (16hp) fitted in a 50' Malcome Braine on the river and plenty of that during strong stream conditions.

I think people forget that diesels like to work hard.

Enjoy the Thames - it's great (but not everyones cup of tea)

• Greenie 1

Happy days B)

Have a good one Dood, if ya can get off the bottom :wacko:

Anchor, if you don't already have one ?

Particularly if going down the GU and on at Brentford, but I'm kind of guessing you'll probably go via Oxford, so non-tidal ?

Happy days B)

Have a good trip, I'm just south of Banbury tonight heading for the Thames. Looking to go off at Brentford and back on at Limehouse on the 27th so will see you twice.

Anchor & chain, even for the non-tidal Thames. There are plenty of powerful wiers even when the river's not in flood.

Also remember to turn off your engine in locks otherwise the lockkeepers will think you're a bit odd.

Going upstream some of the locks are side fill and they can take you by surprise if you're not ready. You really need to take a couple of turns on bollards or just use a locking hitch and let the water push the boat out.

Edited by blackrose

As long as you've got a licence every thing else will soon fall in to place. Listen to the advice from the lockies when transiting through the locks and you'll be fine.

There will be a lot of people on here that will say your engine will be to small. I'd say cobblers to 'em.

I've spent many a happy hour behind a Petter PH2 (16hp) fitted in a 50' Malcome Braine on the river and plenty of that during strong stream conditions.

I think people forget that diesels like to work hard.

Enjoy the Thames - it's great (but not everyones cup of tea)

Many many thanks. Have a great time :boat:

Anchor, if you don't already have one ?

Particularly if going down the GU and on at Brentford, but I'm kind of guessing you'll probably go via Oxford, so non-tidal ?

Thanks Alan. Yes have anchor. Will probably do like you said and test the water (to coin a phrase) on the non-tidal part first.

Terence

Thames Locking Advice: Be prepared for a totally schizophrenic inconsistency. Every lock keeper has their own ideas of how to operate. Centre lines are good for some, bad for others. Engine off, engine on. And advice at Teddington about Brentford transits is the most bizarre! I was told last week that I wouldn't make it in an hour and a half, and even if I did the lock would be closed because I hadn't pre-booked!

Well all is going well here.

A bit better than it seems to be on land. I dunno, I leave civilisation for 5 minutes and the place riots......

Well progress so far.....

Night one spent at Banbury after a long day. Thanks for the joke Apache, I haven't heard that one before ;)

Day two was the a brisk leap up Claydon and on to the Summit. A least the weather was good. The depth wasn't. I guess at somewhere between 8" to 10" down :(

A trip that normally takes only 3 to 3.5 hours took just over 5 hours. It was really an exercise in nautical ploughing :lol:

We stopped top side of Marston Doles for the night and got the 5th lock down the next day.

I counted 15 boats waiting at the bottom of the Marston Doles two and a steady stream up the Napton flight. Most of the on their way to Cropredy Festival.

Night number 3 saw us at Norton Junction. Blimy..... this here Grand Union ain't half grand. Loadsa deep water and when you stop you can nearly get near the bank ;)

Bumped in to (figuratively speaking) to the Finchers on Chalice as we were heading down Wilton.

The end of day 4 saw us at the aptly named 'Thrupp Wharf' just North of Cosgrove.

Day 5 saw us pressing on Southward. A nice surprise was seeing the Ducks at Soulbury 3. Who let them out of the flat lands :lol:

It was them that gave us the bad new about the Paddington Arm bridge :( . We will press on regardless in the hope that it was bee sorted by the time we arrive. If not we'll have to go out through Brentford. At least we still have options.

Keep on cruising :cheers:

Just what I was thinking.May be worth slipping in Banbury Dry Dock and have some wheels fitted.

:lol:

Just noticed this one....

Trouble is, I can't get in Banbury dock. Not enough depth over the cill :(

The plough fitted to the bow did the trick over the summit ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Have a good trip, I'm just south of Banbury tonight heading for the Thames. Looking to go off at Brentford and back on at Limehouse on the 27th so will see you twice.

Good to see you top side of Reading :boat:

I hope you have a good trip down the Thames and a great run down to Limehouse

Back now.......... :(

As I walked away from the boat this morning I could hear ye olde JP wondering why the day tank wasn't being filled and the grease cups being turned

:(

Edited by Proper Job