Ernie Kendall

ChimneyChain

Featured Posts

Just a quick one.

I'm researching my family tree and the kendalls name appears quite a lot. Question is

Does anyone know what Ernie kendalls middle name was and am I right In thinking that he was born in 1902 at braunston and died in 1982.

Thanks Darren

Just a quick one.

I'm researching my family tree and the kendalls name appears quite a lot. Question is

Does anyone know what Ernie kendalls middle name was and am I right In thinking that he was born in 1902 at braunston and died in 1982.

Thanks Darren

The Ernie Kendal I know, of Barlows/Blue Line - Roger/ Nutfield & Raymond fame, died much more recently than 1982.

Just a quick one.

Thanks Darren

I knew Ernie Kendall and both his mother Rose and stepfather Arthur Bray when they worked for Blue line on Roger and Raymond, but I think he was born in the 1930's and if I remember correctly he died in the mid 1990's a couple of years before his stepfather. He got married in 1978 and his son was a teenager when Ernie died.

I never knew whether Ernie had a middle name, but he still has relatives living in Braunston who wouild probably know, in fact I was talking to his cousin Laura Carter only last Sunday. As far as I know Ernie is buried in Braunston Churchyard, and the church has recently compiled a book on the connections between the Church and the Boating families :- http://www.allsaintsbraunston.org.uk/friends-of-all-saints/new-book-the-cathedral-of-the-canals.php There will also be others in Braunston who may know more, I suggest that you start there and ask around.

Edited by David Schweizer

The "Ernie Kendall" who was Rose Bray's son, and worked on the last Blue Line boats cannot possibly have been born in 1902, or anything like that date.

No way was that Ernie approaching 70 years old in the late 1960s.

I think even his mother was probably born not born much earlier than that, possibly even later!

Thanks youve answered my question.

Sorry I got my dates wrong one to many vodkas I think

Cheers Darren

I have had a further thought, Ernie got married in 1978 at Braunston Parish Church, so there should be a record of the ceremony in the Parish Registers, and Arthur had a heart attack on the morning of the wedding!

After his marriage Ernie and his wife lived on a boat called Poacher which was moored outside the entrance to Braunston marina, and I believe he may have worked for the marina so Tim Coghlan may be able to help you with some information. When he died, one of the Waterways Magazines published an orbitiary, which I have somewhere in my files, but Tim may have written it

Just a quick one.

Thanks Darren

I know of two Ernest Kendall's, both of whom would have been on the Grand Union Canal at the same time (1950's and 1960's). One of these was Rose Bray's son who ended on NUTFIELD and RAYMOND under Blue Line Carriers Ltd with Arthur Bray. This Ernie Kendall is by far the better known and he died in late March 1996, some three years after retirement per David Blagrove in Waterways World June 1996. The other Ernest Kendall is on numerous 1950's 'British Waterways' fleet lists as steerer of RENFREW and BELMONT, in fact operating this pair for over 12 years.

I also have yet another Ernest Kendall, Braunston as an owner boatman in 1927 (Daventry 379 - HILDA).

Edited by pete harrison

Headstones In Braunston Cemetery

In Loving Memory of Rose Bray 24.8.1898-5.10.1971 & Arthur Bray 24.12.1905-1998.

In Loving memory of a dear Wife Mother & Grandmother Harriet Kendall fell asleep 21 june 1975 aged 73 years hearts that loved you never forget God bless

also beloved husband Ernest Charles passed peacefully away 10th Sept 1982 aged 80 years

reunited

Cherished memories of Alfred Albert Kendal died 21st May 1985 aged 59 years also

Sarah Elizabeth Kendall died 2nd June 2003 aged 77 years

precious to our hearts an empty space no one can fill.

also headstones for William Thomas & Ester Kendall

also Daniel Fredrick & Betrice Lucy I have more details of last two if you want them Chimney Chain

• Greenie 1

Chimneychain

Also have records of 6 kendall children buried @ Braunston some in the church ground (only parish records remain) the rest in the cemetery across the road, todate i have found no readable headstones for these.also a few children where Baptised @ Brentford. My connections to the Kendalls is Albert Victor Harrison(also buried in 1991 @ Braunston) married Joyce Kendall & Ann Harrison married Tom Kendall Also links through the greens & carters. But then if you are doing a reserch on you boatmans family you would have no doubt realised that because they hardly ever married outside their own community before the late 30s most of the main familys have links together.

• Greenie 1

I am sure of pretty regularly holding conversations with both Ernie and Arthur and I would have put the dates on those in the late 80'-early 90's. I think they were both living on N/B Poacher just outside the marina. Jim Collins (no relation) was living in the old arm aboard (I think) Lucy, but I may be wrong. I'm getting a bit old myself now. ( at least I feel it).

The Jim Collins mentioned as possibly living on LUCY (Rose Whitlock did after retirement), was this the gent known as 'Jimpty'?

Seems to be several Kendalls', and maybe Father and Son with the same Christian name. I'm sure Braunston folk have the details.

Think Jimpty lived on the remains of 'Smew'? at Bottom Lock.

Yes, he was from an earlier era when Willow Wren were based at Bottom Lock before Chris Barney. As far as I remember, Jimpty had some sort of caretaker role for the Willow Wren yard.

The Jim Collins mentioned as possibly living on LUCY (Rose Whitlock did after retirement), was this the gent known as 'Jimpty'?

No, this Jim Collins was a former 'Barlows' and 'Blue Line' steerer. Jim Collins was probably best known for latterly having 'Blue Line's' KENT and HAZEL followed by STANTON and BELMONT. Following the end of carrying Jim and Doris Collins continued to live on BELMONT at Braunston until it was returned to British Waterways Board on 15 June 1980. It was at this point that Jim and Doris Collins acquired RAYMOND as Ernie Kendall and Arthur Bray had recently moved onto the modern boat POACHER.

edited for spelling

Edited by pete harrison

So who was 'Jimpty', what is his story?

Tommy Johnston would be the person to ask, Ive seen him two or three times this year. Hes still on for BW

When Jinty (thats the name I remember, proberbly a childhood error) went in to hospital for treatment for a tumor. Pam and Tom looked after him during his convelesance. They were living at the top lock at the time.

He wasnt allowed back into his back cabin until it had been cleaned.

I used to be terrified of walking past his boat for some reason. It was just the back cabin no hold or fore end. It was moored right by the bridge on the offside at bottom lock.

I know of two Ernest Kendall's, both of whom would have been on the Grand Union Canal at the same time (1950's and 1960's). One of these was Rose Bray's son who ended on NUTFIELD and RAYMOND under Blue Line Carriers Ltd with Arthur Bray. This Ernie Kendall is by far the better known and he died in late March 1996, some three years after retirement per David Blagrove in Waterways World June 1996. The other Ernest Kendall is on numerous 1950's 'British Waterways' fleet lists as steerer of RENFREW and BELMONT, in fact operating this pair for over 12 years.

I also have yet another Ernest Kendall, Braunston as an owner boatman in 1927 (Daventry 379 - HILDA).

Quite apart from Arguing with Phylis, one of my interests is Genealogy, so let us have a little dig here.

There are three records of an Ernest Kendall born in Daventry Registration District (Which is the right district for Braunston).

There is an Ernest George in 1894, Ernest Charles in 1901 (possibly the one that the OP mentions in his first post), and Ernest C in 1927 (middle names are only recorded as initials from 1912 onwards)

The last named shows a Mothers Maiden Name (only added to the index form 1912 onwards) of Ward, and a check of Ward/Kendall marriages in the period close to the birth gives us Harold C Kendall and Rose Ward marrying in 1922, with the birth of an earlier child (Harold C Kendall like his father) in 1923

The Harold C Kendall who married in 1922 is probably Harold Christopher Kendall, born 1899 Daventry.

The last named shows a Mothers Maiden Name (only added to the index form 1912 onwards) of Ward, and a check of Ward/Kendall marriages in the period close to the birth gives us Harold C Kendall and Rose Ward marrying in 1922, with the birth of an earlier child (Harold C Kendall like his father) in 1923.

Rose Kendall (nee Ward), mother of Ernie Kendall, of course later becoming Rose Bray, when she married Arthur.

As I'm sure has already said, the Ernie Kendall who was with Arthur and Rose Bray on the Blue Line boats when they ceased, was son of Rose, ans step-son of Arthur.

I have just unearthed a photograph which suggests that Rose Bray's father was Ernest Carter which fits in with with Laura Carter recently informing me that Ernie Kendall was her cousin.

The text accompanying the photo indicates that Ernie was born at Braunston in January 1927, which complies with some of the information unearthed by Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick one.

Thanks Darren

Ernest Charles Kendall b.dec 1/4 1901.registered daventry .... died 1982 was married to Harriet Stratfull(b.28 Oct 1901 aylesbury)

Thay married in 1924 at Braunstone. Harriet Stratful was my Grandfathers niece. My Grandfather was Benjamin Franks and his sister Eliza Jane married Edward Charles Stratfull in 1897.hope this is some help

Hello

Children of George Fredrick Stratfull & Eliza Ann

Emma Elizabeth Baptised 9 June 1915. Fathers occupation boatman

Abode listed as 40 The Hams Brentford.

Rose Ethel baptised 14 jan 1917.Fathers occupation boatman

abode listed as E smiths barge.

Both children Baptised @ St Lawrences Brentford.

Edited by jeannette smith harrison
  • Greenie 1