Shower Tray Filter

bizzard

Featured Posts

If your shower tray drain has no proper filter and also if it has,they are often awkward to get at to clean.

So a good and simple way of adding one is as follows.

Remove chrome outlet fitting in tray, There is usually a deepish recess underneath.

Take one green Scotch scouring pad and roll it fairly tightly around a length of thin wire. securing the wire at one end by just doubling it back a bit and trapping ends in the rolls,roll the pad until its a tightish fit in drain hole,trim the roll to length with scissors or sharp knife to a depth so the chrome bit will fit back on .Avoiding the wire sticking out,now thread the wire through one of the chrome things holes,insert assembly back into drain hole.Twiddle the bit of wire around one of the chrome things cross bars,to stop the filter falling down the drain pipe. The wire is your handle to pull the filter out for cleaning.Just unroll, clean under a tap,roll up and reinsert.

These scourers make brilliant water filters causing hardly any impedance to the flow.

And very cheap. bizzard.

Why does a shower drain need a filter?

My Whale Gulper 220 manages fine without one and has been doing so for the last 6 years. I've never even had to clean it.

Surely this is the best way to drain a shower tray - why would anyone bother with the hassle of cleaning out filters or sump box type pumps?

• Greenie 1

My Whale Gulper 220 manages fine without one and has been doing so for the last 6 years. I've never even had to clean it.

Surely this is the best way to drain a shower tray - why would anyone bother with the hassle of cleaning out filters or sump box type pumps?

Absolutely 100 percent correct in every way. My fab boat made by Mr Hudson came with a very posh stainless steel box and sump pump jobby to the shower tray. I have had one before ( plastic ) and they are rubbish, so are stainless steel ones :lol: I suffered it for a couple of years then placed it in the correct place ( Bin ) and fitted the good old gulper. What always amuses me is that even tho the gulper or similar is a bullet proof tried and tested idea people still fit lesser alternatives.

Absolutely 100 percent correct in every way. My fab boat made by Mr Hudson came with a very posh stainless steel box and sump pump jobby to the shower tray. I have had one before ( plastic ) and they are rubbish, so are stainless steel ones :lol: I suffered it for a couple of years then placed it in the correct place ( Bin ) and fitted the good old gulper. What always amuses me is that even tho the gulper or similar is a bullet proof tried and tested idea people still fit lesser alternatives.

The other alternative ie ordinary centrifugal type pumps and not a diaphram type Gulper or similar.But its worth fitting this filter just in case.After all it costs almost nothing. bizzard

The other alternative ie ordinary centrifugal type pumps and not a diaphram type Gulper or similar.But its worth fitting this filter just in case.After all it costs almost nothing. bizzard

I disagree - a Gulper or similar diaghram pump will pump all the shower debris out. A filter will just collect it. I'm not a fan of shower debris and I don't want to collect it.

I could perhaps see the point of fitting a stainless plug hole protector to make sure rings or other hard objects don't get sucked down the plug hole, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150626420117 but I wouldn't put a scouring pad down there and then have to clean it out regularly.

Edited by blackrose

I disagree - a Gulper or similar diaghram pump will pump all the shower debris out. A filter will just collect it. I'm not a fan of shower debris and I don't want to collect it.

I could perhaps see the point of fitting a stainless plug hole protector to make sure rings or other hard objects don't get sucked down the plug hole, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150626420117 but I wouldn't put a scouring pad down there and then have to clean it out regularly.

The Whale gulper was of course originally, an hand operated bilge pump intended for that job ''passing solids'',and probably still sold as such.

However my filter is not aimed at the folk who can easily afford such things,or the hole protector,but aimed at folk,poorer than yourself and don't mind a spot of improvisation or dirty hands,and are trying to soldier on with perhaps old and antiquated gear that the old boat came with. bizzard.

The Whale gulper was of course originally, an hand operated bilge pump intended for that job ''passing solids'',and probably still sold as such.

However my filter is not aimed at the folk who can easily afford such things,or the hole protector,but aimed at folk,poorer than yourself and don't mind a spot of improvisation or dirty hands,and are trying to soldier on with perhaps old and antiquated gear that the old boat came with. bizzard.

Sorry for the double take,as it didn't seem to have worked first time.

I do a dirty manual job and earn a low wage, so you shouldn't make too many assumptions about who minds getting their hands dirty and who is richer or poorer - especially if it's someone on an internet forum who you've never met.

I'm all for soldiering on with the equipment one has, but the hole protector costs £2.99 including free postage. If someone can't afford that I don't know how they could afford to keep a boat on the waterways?

Edited by blackrose

I'm all for soldiering on with the equipment one has, but the hole protector costs £2.99 including free postage. If someone can't afford that I don't know how they could afford to keep a boat on the waterways?

By not spending £2.99 on a hole protector, maybe?

I wish I had installed a Gulper 12 years ago, if the present pump fails then I will fit one but I don't think 24 volt ones were available then.

Edit to add

I now have a pump, a filter and a strainer. The strainer saves having to clean the filter every month. The strainer I have came from Lakeland Plastics and had stainless steel wire mesh as opposed to drilled/punched holes

Edited by ditchcrawler

No problem. I know all to well that for some, 2,99 can equal 4-5 simple meals. Or something ells higher on the priority list. If I find a free(ish) sollution to a problem, I'll surely choose that rather than spend money.

Nothing personal to those who choose to buy one. I'm guessing both pathes get you where you need to go in life. And no road is "better" than the other. Expect maybe if you start looking at carbon footprints. But lets not go there :)

Nothing personal to those who choose to buy one. I'm guessing both pathes get you where you need to go in life. And no road is "better" than the other. Expect maybe if you start looking at carbon footprints. But lets not go there :)

I think it's been well documented on this forum and elsewhere that a whale gulper diaghram pump is indeed the best road to draining a shower tray - much better than any other method because it requires no filters or cleaning and is virtually maintenence-free. It's definitely the best method but it's at least 85 quid so that probably equates to around 140 of your simple meals! I guess everyone has different priorities.

As for carbon footprints - you did go there, so having studied the subject of quantifying environmental impacts to masters level I'll just say that a small shower drain protector should be the least of one's concerns. If sustainable living is your priority it might be better not to live on a boat at all as the sustainable image of living afloat is a myth. Personally, if I occasionally behave in a way which has a significant environmental impact, I console myself with the though that since I never had kids I'm not one of the planet's greatest offenders.

Edited by blackrose

Sore toe? I'm not contradicting any of that. Just saying that some might be in a position where they have to make do with what they have in any way they can.

Nor am i.I enjoy making odds and ends out of bits and bobs,satisfying,nothing to do with money.And as Caprifool has stated some folk have to watch every penny or pee. The Scotch pad filters are a very good filterer of water and can easily be adapted for other water filtering. bizzard

I have two scotch green scourers round my pond pump, which didn't come with a filter of any kind. They work a treat, & reduce the number of times I have to take it apart to clean it, from alternate days to about once a week. I might just give it a go on the house plug-holes,which do not have a Gulper fitted, since my girls appear to be incapable of gathering up tha hairs heading down it until it's totally blocked, then it's my job to attack it with the Vax,horrible job! :wacko:

Sore toe? I'm not contradicting any of that. Just saying that some might be in a position where they have to make do with what they have in any way they can.

My toes are fine thanks - I think we are both permitted to reply to subjects the forum and there's no reason for either of us to belittle each others comments.

I fully appreciate that some might be in a position where they have to make do with what they have in any way they can, but my original reply to Blizzard's post was on the subject of equipment - not about living aboard frugally. I was simply offering an opinion on the best equipment available for the job - I thought that some people (perhaps those who don't have to watch every single penny), might appreciate this information and surely their requirements are equally valid?

Also, if we are saying that £2.99 is too much to spend because that money could be used on food, then we could use the same logic to rule out almost any piece of equipment on board. Without wishing to get too personal, assuming you are online at home, how is it that you were able to buy a computer and pay for internet access for example? How many meals does that equate to?

Edited by blackrose

My toes are fine thanks - I think we are both permitted to reply to subjects the forum and there's no reason for either of us to belittle each others comments.

I fully appreciate that some might be in a position where they have to make do with what they have in any way they can, but my original reply to Blizzard's post was on the subject of equipment - not about living aboard frugally. I was simply offering an opinion on the best equipment available for the job - I thought that some people (perhaps those who don't have to watch every single penny), might appreciate this information and surely their requirements are equally valid?

Also, if we are saying that £2.99 is too much to spend because that money could be used on food, then we could use the same logic to rule out almost any piece of equipment on board. Without wishing to get too personal, assuming you are online at home, how is it that you were able to buy a computer and pay for internet access for example? How many meals does that equate to?

Assistance waiting in the wings,if required Caprifool

That wasn't my intention. Sorry if it looked that way. And sorry if I read your post as a "tiny" bit agressive. English isn't my main language and I might have miss understood your tone. Easy thing to do online. I appologise.

I am in a run down wood cottage in the woods, south of Sweden. With no indoor plumbing, fetching water from outside, hand washing, heating bath water with a wood fired cauldron outside and running to the outdoor earth closet all year round. By choice yes.... I'd rather milk a goat than take the car to the shops and buy milk. Same would go for a drain filter, if needed one a future boat. I would look at what I already have onboard before burning fuel to go to the shops to buy one. I have to sadly admit my husband is paying the bills at the moment, because our goverment took away my pension. I have no job, no income, and I'm not on benefits. But yes, I do own a laptop, that I payed for by hand knitting socks for six months.

I'm off to knit some more now. I need new shoes before winter and I don't know how to make my own......yet ;) Doing the best I can with what I have. Making do.....

Edited by Caprifool

It ceased to be a discussion long ago and has dwindled into boring tedium. bizzard :banghead:

Agreed.

That wasn't my intention. Sorry if it looked that way. And sorry if I read your post as a "tiny" bit agressive. English isn't my main language and I might have miss understood your tone. Easy thing to do online. I appologise.

Well I apologise if my post came across as a tiny bit agressive.

Edited by blackrose