Idiot's Guide to fishing

Featured Posts

Hi.

Firstly, shame about all the immature comments when someone is asking for help, reading this you would think everyone was a 13 yr old, but being a boating forum, i suspect the average is round 40. Seriously, read what your writing, your not like it on the water, so don't be a nasty little bitter whiner on here, it's not somewhere to take out your problems on other people. Thankyou.

Now then!!

Ive been fishing over 35 years, there are a few good books on basic fishing, tho i couldn't remember any off hand lol, (as its been a long time since ive needed one), so i hunted around a bit.

This seems ok

http://www.medlarpress.com/7939-Fishing-Books-Simply-Coarse-Fishing_by_Tony-Whieldon.html

Better than books, i would say you will learn much more by watching videos/dvd's, there's tons to be downloaded at pirate bay (ive downloaded almost all of these),

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6006078/%5BFishing%5D_Bob_Nudd_-_Fishing_for_Roach

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6002999/%5BFishing%5D_Bob_Nudd_-_Fishing_for_Bream_

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6019874/%5BFishing%5D_Matt_Hayes_-_Total_Fishing_Series_1

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6434811/%5BFishing%5D_Matt_Hayes_-_Total_Fishing_Series_3_

Hope that helps a bit, any thing else, just message me, and next time your down south nr London, gimme a shout, i'll be happy to spend a day showing you stuff.

At last! Santa has come to my rescue....I aint been catching bob all lately, had a few maggots gobbled and nicked off my hook but thats it......

Well said by the way, ive been saying it for months, if you havent got owt positive to add, dont bother posting at all...

thanks for links

Been into spearfishing for years[snorkle not air] love hunting and shooting,never been much good at line fishing,just haven't got the patience and you can be more selective if you jump in.Here's my biggest catch[quite a while ago as they are protected now]had to cut it's head off to get it ashore,on;y wanted the teeth.Have shot lots of big bronzies while spearfishing and one tiger.Great fun!img0081.jpg

Surely, any guide to fishing is going to be written for idiots?

I should have got up earlier this morning as you beat me to it. I was going to ask why title the post "Idiots guide to Fishing" when just "Guide to Fishing" would have sufficed.

Hi.

Firstly, shame about all the immature comments when someone is asking for help, reading this you would think everyone was a 13 yr old, but being a boating forum, i suspect the average is round 40. Seriously, read what your writing, your not like it on the water, so don't be a nasty little bitter whiner on here, it's not somewhere to take out your problems on other people. Thankyou.

Now then!!

Ive been fishing over 35 years............

QED

there's tons to be downloaded at pirate bay (ive downloaded almost all of these)

or, as Bob isn't exactly on a premiership footballers salary, you could even buy his DVDs, legally, giving him a bit of royalty in the process...

Amazon Clicky

Firstly, shame about all the immature comments when someone is asking for help

There are probably some anglers out there who can have a laugh, even at their own expense.

Edited by carlt

• 1 month later...

First time I've seen this thread.

Must admit I cannot see a single reason that would entice me to try it. But I believe it is supposed to be the largest

participating "sport" in the country.

I have two questions that I cannot begin to guess the answer -

1. Why are 99% of fishermen MEN?

2. If they enjoy it, why do they always look such miserable buggers?

I'll go easy, just to start things off

Are there no dedicated forums for drow ning maggots, and hurting fish, that you can go to? We like to boat...

On the other hand CWDF has a forum entitled "Fishing Cycling and Walking"

Did you not know?

Living where I do I grew up doing a lot of harbour fishing for such species as flounder and bass. I never ever considered myself as taking part in a bloodsport but rather as a predatory species in persuit of it's prey in the wild. I remain convinced that the persuit of a fish dinner is entirely morally legitimate. Coarse fishing on the other hand is on dodgier ground but I really do understand the skill needed to understand the quarry and it's behaviour sufficiently well to hook it, the skill required to land it and (DIFFICULT bit which may explain the preponderance of men)there is simply something elementally exciting about the vibrations on the line from the fish's struggles, the rushes and turns to be held or yielded to bring the fish to the net.

I learned from Mr Crabtree. :blush:

I'll go easy, just to start things off

Are there no dedicated forums for drow ning maggots, and hurting fish, that you can go to? We like to boat...

I can’t help but think that the human brain, despite its evolution of thousands of years, sometimes works like a partitioned computer drive and isolates selective data… on the one hand it’s ok to hold an opinion that something is hurting something else yet on the other hand it’s perfectly ok to jump on our boats in the pursuit of what we consider leisure and enjoyment (liveaboards excluded) and then go on to collectively pump tons of carbon into the environment in the name of pleasure and not for one minute consider that there will be any consequences or that anything will suffer, or even that we are a contributor in any way… I’m not sure how you would balance that?

Not a criticism of your comment in any way, just an observation.

Food for thought all the same…

I can’t help but think that the human brain, despite its evolution of thousands of years, sometimes works like a partitioned computer drive and isolates selective data… on the one hand it’s ok to hold an opinion that something is hurting something else yet on the other hand it’s perfectly ok to jump on our boats in the pursuit of what we consider leisure and enjoyment (liveaboards excluded) and then go on to collectively pump tons of carbon into the environment in the name of pleasure and not for one minute consider that there will be any consequences or that anything will suffer, or even that we are a contributor in any way… I’m not sure how you would balance that?

Not a criticism of your comment in any way, just an observation.

Food for thought all the same…

I have long held the opinion it is a human trait to set the limit of acceptability of anything such that ones self is in the acceptable region. e.g. I fish, I'm OK. Fox hunters are murderers. People who worry about maggots should find something worth worrying about. Its a sliding scale depending on who is expressing the opinion and their values and activities.

This isn't meant to be provocative - try it on yourself.

Graham

because 99% of the people they're trying to get away from are women?

<ducks and runs>

So if men have male partners do they both go fishing?

I have long held the opinion it is a human trait to set the limit of acceptability of anything such that ones self is in the acceptable region. e.g. I fish, I'm OK. Fox hunters are murderers. People who worry about maggots should find something worth worrying about. Its a sliding scale depending on who is expressing the opinion and their values and activities.

This isn't meant to be provocative - try it on yourself.

Graham

Sliding scale - it depends how the scale works if you are a maggot or foxy.

The best time of the day for fishing! We regularly fish all night sessions...! :mellow:

Janet

Hi all

Janet,where do you go fishing over youre way,and have you fished Jackhouse lodge it is in Oswaldtwistle, free fishing, and brilliant

surroundings,i used to be in the

burnley and Pendle club,Lowerhouse lodge is also brill.

Arge.

Hi Arge,

I caught my first double figure carp on Lowerhouse Lodge a few years ago, when I first took up angling.

Two in a day!

I've not been back for a while though...I wasn't at all happy at the amount of anglers who didn't seem to have any concern for fish welfare or the environment.

I do most of my fishing on the canals, my local club lake and the River Calder now.

Janet

Hi Arge,

I caught my first double figure carp on Lowerhouse Lodge a few years ago, when I first took up angling.

Two in a day!

I've not been back for a while though...I wasn't at all happy at the amount of anglers who didn't seem to have any concern for fish welfare or the environment.

I do most of my fishing on the canals, my local club lake and the River Calder now.

Janet

Hi Janet

That supprises me i always thuoght the fish in Lowerhouse were well looked after, to say its such a busy water,too many noisy

duks is what i remember, ah well it's almost Tench time now the ice has gone.Have fun,

Arge.

• 1 month later...

im shocked lame brain idots explosives come on chaps whats the problem with fishing i would much rather sit fishing in the serene river bank than what some of the boaters do.have you seen them buy a boat so they can sit next to it with their deck chair and cuppa wishing and hoping they could get out of the marina oneday .. i your lad wants to learn about fishing just talk to other anglers just like boaters they will help and enjoy the fact that he is interested ...

just gonna sit and drink me tea now

Edited by floatingtraders

im shocked lame brain idots explosives sorry, don't understand come on chaps whats the problem with fishing some folk have a problem with it and have described their problem i would much rather sit fishing in the serene river bank than what some of the boaters do but that's your personal choice, you can't impose that on everyone.have you seen them buy a boat so they can sit next to it with their deck chair and cuppa wishing and hoping they could get out of the marina oneday no never, I have never seen anything remotely like it.. i your lad wants to learn about fishing just talk to other anglers just like boaters they will help and enjoy the fact that he is interested ...

just gonna sit and drink me tea now