Canal du Midi

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

I shall be driving to Spain this summer, and part of my journey will take me close to the Canal du Midi, in Southern France. I'm in the process of planning my journey, and thought it would be nice to have an overnight stop somewhere interesting on or near the canal. I've stopped in Carcassonne before, which was great, but I'd like to try somewhere else this time. I'll be crossing the border into Spain at Perpignan, so I'll need to find somewhere towards the eastern end of the canal. Does anyone have any recommendations for an interesting town or two?

There's a flight of locks and an inclined plane, no longer in use I think, at Bezier and an interesting lock on a T junction with three sets of gates near Agde station that provides excellent entertainment when you add in any number of languages not understood between boat crews to the normal antics. Putain bateaux d'occasion - or similar! There's also a number of good restaurants along the riverside in Agde.

There's a flight of locks and an inclined plane, no longer in use I think, at Bezier and an interesting lock on a T junction with three sets of gates near Agde station that provides excellent entertainment when you add in any number of languages not understood between boat crews to the normal antics. Putain bateaux d'occasion - or similar! There's also a number of good restaurants along the riverside in Agde.

In Agde is this well known "round lock" where boats have the choice of continuing on the Canal du Midi, or take a short canal that will take them to the river Herault.

That inclined plane close to Beziers is as you think rightly no longer in use, it has cost a fortune to build, and hasn't done any real work, they made a lot of fuss when the first 38m (named le "Dunkerquois) went up and down through this inclined plane and after that only very occasionally an hotel-barge. When I had another look there about 15 years ago they were working on the machine and only managed to get the windscreenwipers to work. The 7 staircase lock (9 in the books, but 2 are not used) next to it, at Fonseraines is definitely worth a visit.

Peter.

I shall be driving to Spain this summer, and part of my journey will take me close to the Canal du Midi, in Southern France. I'm in the process of planning my journey, and thought it would be nice to have an overnight stop somewhere interesting on or near the canal. I've stopped in Carcassonne before, which was great, but I'd like to try somewhere else this time. I'll be crossing the border into Spain at Perpignan, so I'll need to find somewhere towards the eastern end of the canal. Does anyone have any recommendations for an interesting town or two?

Heading east from Carcassonne there is Trebes & Homps both right on the canal & both typical French villages, If you take the D610 road from Trebes to Beziers it crosses the canal several times & the smaller roads lead to the canal quite often Most of the villages on the canal have mooring spots so there are quite a few boats athough most will be hire boats

Theres a lovely little town called limoux, just outside Carcassonne by the Aude, if you are in the area, especially during carnival time!!

Limoux carnival

and not forgetting the local drink, Blanquette!

Regards

Dan

Edit for spacings!

Edited by stagedamager

About 50km west from Carc is Castelnaudary - huge basin on the canal, and some fairly decent restaurants.

But TBH the 7-lock staircase mentioned above is definitely the sight to see.

--

Dave

Inclined plane at Bezier from 1988:

2-L.jpg

Tim

We spent three weeks cruising the southern reaches of the Canal du Midi last autumn, and the surrounding areas.

Had a superb time, but I have to reinforce DaveP's suggestion - - go and see the locks at Fonserannes - - they are stunning, (in fact, we traversed them several times just for the sheer joy of using such a wonderful piece of engineering

Edited by Grace & Favour

Thanks to all the people who so kindly offered suggestions. The inclined plane certainly sounds interesting, and I'll try to give it a visit. However, I will be only passing through the region on this occasion, and my OP was to try to find an interesting town, hopefully on the bank of the canal, in which to spend a night.Treves or Homps sound like they may do the job nicely. Thanks, Jack.

Thanks to all the people who so kindly offered suggestions. The inclined plane certainly sounds interesting, and I'll try to give it a visit. However, I will be only passing through the region on this occasion, and my OP was to try to find an interesting town, hopefully on the bank of the canal, in which to spend a night.Treves or Homps sound like they may do the job nicely. Thanks, Jack.

There is another Water Slope at Montech, on the C.lat a la Garonne which is the western continuation of the Midi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montech_water_slope

I've travelled on that one, and AFAIAA it's still in use?

Tim

There is another Water Slope at Montech, on the C.lat a la Garonne which is the western continuation of the Midi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montech_water_slope

I've travelled on that one, and AFAIAA it's still in use?

Tim

As far as I know, this water-slope has been closed due to restauration works since 2009, and should be in service again sometime in 2012.

Peter.

• 1 month later...

Because the Midi locks are a bit smaller than full-size Freycinet gauge and because consequently the Midi sees no commercial traffic any more (apart from hotel barges) it is extremely unlikely that the Fonserannes slope will ever be re-opened. We berth near Montech (on the Canal de Garonne) (that used to be called the Canal lateral à la Garonne) and the water slope/inclined plane/whatever has been closed for years now. In spite of the repeated 'news' that the big electric engines are to be repaired it is also extremely unlikely that this will happen sometime soon. There is no commercial traffic (a couple of hotel barges, plus one trip boat) to justify the considerable expenditure. There is, however, a 'plan' to encourage more commercial activity between Bordeaux and Toulouse, but don't hold your breath.

"Grehan"

French Waterways Information