Travel Power Question

Featured Posts

I'm a shareholder in our narrowboat Tranquility which has a Beta Greenline 43 with a generator and Travel Power pack. I've been informed by our base engineers that the Travel Power unit must be switched off prior to starting the engine and only switched on once the engine is running. Apparently one of the fleet has suffered catestrophic engine/main pulley failure (alledgedly) due to non compliance. The switch is not easy to get to as it is in a cupboard in another cupboard and can only be reached with very long arms or a stick. Is this correct or am I being fobbed off with a load of bullshine?

Can't help you with the mechanical side but if it's the black control unit it should be switched off anyway when it's not being used. The silver one is OK to leave switched on. The black one it isn't.

I'm a shareholder in our narrowboat Tranquility which has a Beta Greenline 43 with a generator and Travel Power pack. I've been informed by our base engineers that the Travel Power unit must be switched off prior to starting the engine and only switched on once the engine is running. Apparently one of the fleet has suffered catestrophic engine/main pulley failure (alledgedly) due to non compliance. The switch is not easy to get to as it is in a cupboard in another cupboard and can only be reached with very long arms or a stick. Is this correct or am I being fobbed off with a load of bullshine?

Wether its true or not which idiot put the switch in such an idiotic place ?

Wether its true or not which idiot put the switch in such an idiotic place ?

We have travelpower and never switch it off much, its just an extra alternator so why would you need to turn it off, sounds like your being fobbed off, we start our barrus shire 45 with it switched on all the time..

We have travelpower and never switch it off much, its just an extra alternator so why would you need to turn it off

Because if it's the black one it will be permanently pulling about 3 amps from the batteries and heating the alternator up with it.

We have travelpower and never switch it off much, its just an extra alternator so why would you need to turn it off, sounds like your being fobbed off, we start our barrus shire 45 with it switched on all the time..

:wacko:

I have a travel power and always switch it off when not in use. I am no lektrician but surely if its left switched on it must be dragging on the engine using fuel and wearing out ?

Blimey Gibbo beat me to it....... :D

Edited by mrsmelly

When I had mine rebuilt at Coxs...they said...as Gibbo has said...that it draws power when on and heats up. They also said that ...when you start the engine the battery voltage is in the low 12v's it then rises up to the low 14's in the first few minutes. Although the box will handle this swing....it is not good for it's long term reliability.

When I push the switch on my 'black box' version, the engine does drop slightly...so it must add drag and use extra fuel.

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

Thanks to everyone who read and/or replied to my question, I didn't realise how lively this forum is. Your information will add fuel to the fire in our syndicate.

Ours is the silver box version. The instruction manual says the Travelpower should be off before the engine is stopped or started i.e. the Travelopwer should only be energised when engine is turning.

Ours is the silver box version. The instruction manual says the Travelpower should be off before the engine is stopped or started i.e. the Travelopwer should only be energised when engine is turning.

I suspect that's a hangover in the manual from the black box unit. The silver box doesn't care.

I suspect that's a hangover in the manual from the black box unit. The silver box doesn't care.

It also came with a set of stickers to put next to the control switch that say the Travelpower should not be "on load" when the engine is started or stopped or serious damage may occur to the control box.

We have a "Black Box" TravelPower on "Vox" and its been turned on for the last 5 years!!!, and so far has performed perfectly.

I am a bit concerned with all these warnings about turning it off, so finding lots of wood to touch!

The manual "recommends" turning it off when not in use, but with no dire warnings

I do try not to start or stop the engine if the immersion heater is on, but sometimes I forget.

The immersion heater is a good way to put some load on the engine when we are running it just to charge the batteries!

The Travel Power has two feeds, one from the ignition switch and one directly off the domestic battery bank.

The unswitched feed draws about one amp when the engine is running, and just about nothing with the ignition off.

This really is a great device, if anyone hears of a second hand unit for sale I would love to have a spare!

..........Dave

It also came with a set of stickers to put next to the control switch that say the Travelpower should not be "on load" when the engine is started or stopped or serious damage may occur to the control box.

Maybe this relates to what Cox's told me...that you start the engine and the voltage swings from low 12volt to 14 volts within a few minutes ?.

Thats a 15% plus raise in a short time...which could damage the components...maybe...?

Bob

Maybe this relates to what Cox's told me...that you start the engine and the voltage swings from low 12volt to 14 volts within a few minutes ?.

Thats a 15% plus raise in a short time...which could damage the components...maybe...?

Bob

Any pice of equipment that could be damaged by the input voltage swinging from 12 to 14 volts is incredibly badly designed. I think Cox's are talking crap. In fact I know they are.

Any pice of equipment that could be damaged by the input voltage swinging from 12 to 14 volts is incredibly badly designed. I think Cox's are talking crap. In fact I know they are.

Knowing that it's unlike Cox's to talk crap I wonder if it was a misunderstanding by Bobbybass? I wonder if they actually said "Don't have it switched on with a load connected when starting engine."

Tony

Knowing that it's unlike Cox's to talk crap I wonder if it was a misunderstanding by Bobbybass? I wonder if they actually said "Don't have it switched on with a load connected when starting engine."

Yeah I think that's probably more likely. Cox's aren't known for being daft.

Yeah I think that's probably more likely. Cox's aren't known for being daft.

Here, here,(or is it Hear, Hear). Cox's are very nice and competent people (especially the senior one); they've been in the business "for ever" and know their onions as well as microprocessors.

The trouble with electronic kit is that it suffers from surges / spikes -e specially where high power components are concerned. You can reduce that likelihood by only switching on the kit when the driving force (the engine) has reached a reasonable operating speed.

Think on this:-

It's in Cox's interest to tell you that it doesn't matter - 'cos that way you'll be back for lorra repairs. Loadsa monai!!

Instead they say take care.

THEN folks attack them saying they are talking a load of cajones.

Can't win can you....

Thstupid.

Edited by OldGoat