Dear Gibbo

Featured Posts

Our boat has only 12v electrics, with a three battery domestic bank and a starter. We have a 12v fridge

In the last four days we have run the engine for approximately 43 hours.

Are the damn batteries charged yet????

Richard

Our boat has only 12v electrics, with a three battery domestic bank and a starter. We have a 12v fridge

Richard

Only for this week -

Richard

Surely that depends on how well setup your alternator regulator is? Unless you have good instrumentation you can't know for sure.....

Coat!

MP.

I think even Mr.Gibbo will need a bit more information. ;)

Alternator size, battery bank size, age of batteries, how much have you used them in the last four days.

What was there state of charge in the beginning.

Have they been abused, not charged correctly.

How long is the piece of string.

Surely that depends on how well setup your alternator regulator is? Unless you have good instrumentation you can't know for sure.....

Coat!

MP.

My alternator regulator is utterly reliable. It keeps all my secrets and has never run away. It lurks happily inside the alternator and we have agreed to studiously ignore each other

Richard

Oh, we have a nice voltmeter with red and green bits on it. I've no idea why, but it does set the switch panel off nicely together with the sulky temperature gauge

Edited by RLWP

Coat!

MP.

I'd recommend a Smartgauge myself..

I think even Mr.Gibbo will need a bit more information. ;)

Alternator size, battery bank size, age of batteries, how much have you used them in the last four days.

Alternator is about as big as a bag of flour, the batteries are much bigger and I could sit on the battery box, except there's no headroom. As the batteries are below the age of consent I can't tell you how old they are. All the crew fell asleep shortly after mooring up (a combination of fatigue and drink) so apart from having the lights on in tunnels, there has been little usage

What was there state of charge in the beginning.

as they stood up well on their own, I assume they were not flat

Have they been abused, not charged correctly.

I'm always very polite to my batteries, even when trying to extract them from the battery box. They have never been found guilty

How long is the piece of string.

The string (hairy) wasn't long enough, so we had to attach a bit of baler twine (orange)

Hope this helps

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I recommend wholemeal flour as it gives an output that has more body, don't be tempted to go for wholewheat as this isn't the same at all but just marketing speak. Sometimes you have to show the batteries your teeth, often it's the only thing they understand.

Edited by nb Innisfree

I recommend wholemeal flour as it gives an output that has more body, don't be tempted to go for wholewheat as this isn't the same at all but just marketing speak. Sometimes you have to show the batteries your teeth, often it's the only thing they understand.

How about seeds? Is this wise?

Richard

Richard

Good question but what does your 'SmartGauge' say?

Good question but what does your 'SmartGauge' say?

I've got a pressure gauge, a thread gauge, some narrow gauge, two feeler gauges, a little 00 gauge, some slip gauges but the smartest of them all is a vernier height gauge

It tells me the batteries are exactly 8.647" tall. Is that enough?

Richard

30 minutes in a hot oven.

Come on Gibbo we're waiting.

It's this kind of off-topic advice that really spoils this forum. How can this make any difference - it's a gas oven

Sheesh!!!!!

Richard

I've got a pressure gauge, a thread gauge, some narrow gauge, two feeler gauges, a little 00 gauge, some slip gauges but the smartest of them all is a vernier height gauge

It tells me the batteries are exactly 8.647" tall. Is that enough?

Richard

Try using the displacement principle.

Try using the displacement principle.

Erm, 1' 10". We were gauged at Walsall on Sunday

Richard

I am trying to be helpful

If you'd used self-raising in the first place, you wouldn't have had to ask the question, now would you?

Self raising? Look, those magazines were in the garage when we moved in here, and I don't know the girls in them were not wearing their vests :blush:

Richard