Nokia 6300 phone

Ralph Claydon

Featured Posts

Hi

I know this is not a boating topic but i wondered if anybody can help?

I have a Nokia 6300. I had it unlocked on the market,(i believe it was on Vodafone).It was intended to be used as a spare. Now use Tesco pay as you go, I am being accused of ringing somebody with this phone on a BT landline but to my knowledge its been in the drawer switched off.

Can these phones make a call without us knowing?

Thanks.

Hi

I have a Nokia 6300. I had it unlocked on the market,(i believe it was on Vodafone).It was intended to be used as a spare. Now use Tesco pay as you go, I am being accused of ringing somebody with this phone on a BT landline but to my knowledge its been in the drawer switched off.

Thanks.

look at the call history, unless deliberately removed, it will log all the last x amount of calls made, receieved and missed usually a total call memory of about 50

Dont know wether this is the same problem but , a few years ago, I got a Nokia slider phone from 3 on contract. The phone arrived in the post at 9,30, I opened it up and put it on charge. When I got the first bill there was a call on it I did not recognise , contacted 3 and was told it was a call to Germany at 9.am on the morning I had got the phone . I have never ever made a call to Germany

If you are sure that it's your number (two digits not transposed, are they?) and it's a recent Sim card (as it sounds to be) then someone must have used the phone to make the calls. What does the call register show? Modern Sim cards can't be cloned very easily, so that's extremely unlikely to be the cause.

Seeing as it's a PAYG phone, how is your credit? Does it show that these calls must have been made?

Tony

Hi

Thanks.

Bit off topic but FYI Tesco is on the 02 network and you can get cheaper PAYG on the same network with Giffgaff I use it and am very pleased with it though for you to use it on your Tesco phone it would need to be unlocked as I think Tesco double lock their phones, alternatively a Giffgaff sim would work in your Nokia 6300.

HI again , when I had the problem with my phone it also showed a call to Jersey later on again I dont know anyone there, When i took the problems up with 3, they said someone else in the house must have used the phone which is tosh. one thought can u not just buy another sim card and see what happens

Hi

Thanks.

You could try ringing the number you are supposed to have called and if you get a reply ask if they know why your phone was used to call them...

AFAIK it is simply impossible for a phone to make any sort of call when it is switched off.

To those who might know a bit more about the subject but is there not a potential issue about a number that has been re-cycled - I think the networks do this with PAYG numbers that don't get used after a given period of time.

I am also a bit wary about the 'unlocked on the market bit' sounds a bit dodgy to me potentially. (that's not a slur on market traders generally BTW)

Edited by MJG

AFAIK it is simply impossible for a phone to make any sort of call when it is switched off.

To those who might know a bit more about the subject but is there not a potential issue about a number that has been re-cycled - I think the networks do this with PAYG numbers that don't get used after a given period of time.

I am also a bit wary about the 'unlocked on the market bit' sounds a bit dodgy to me potentially. (that's not a slur on market traders generally BTW)

When I get a phone unlocked I remove the sim card first, don't know if that is any safer but I do it anyway.

I think there are only two possibilities here; either someone is using the phone without your knowledge (got any other relatives/friends/petsitters etc with keys to the house?) or the sim has been cloned.

You could set the phone to demand a security code (PIN) when it is first switched on (or change the existing one) to rule out the fist possibility, or get a new sim.

Agree with earlier posts that there is no way a phone can 'accidently' make a call itself when switched off.

(suppose you could also remove & hide the battery and/or sim seperately from the phone)

Callum

Bluetooth, or other hands free type operation?

They use bandwidth on unsecured networks why not on vulnerable phones?

Try going through call logs and history to find calls when you can prove you were elsewhere than where the phone was.

Bluetooth, or other hands free type operation?

They use bandwidth on unsecured networks why not on vulnerable phones?

Not while they are switched off they don't.

Not while they are switched off they don't.

As far as I'm aware sim cloning has been a thing of the past for nearly a decade, that leaves actual use of the phone by person or persons unknown. It takes less time to turn a phone on than make a call.

Though of course they could always remove phone from premises when needed for both calls and recharging and then return.

Another reason to check call history and logs to try and coincide with regular visitors, this obviously needs to be done without broadcasting the fact in order to not alert culprit.

ETA

Visions of miscreant sitting on bog with phone charger plugged into light fitting, making calls doesn't seem to far fetched at the moment.

Edited by Yellowback

I won't go into details for obvious reasons but cloning a sim card is easy. Having access to the phone without the sim is no use (it used to be on older systems). OP seems to imply that the bloke who unlocked his phone never had access to the sim that's in it now so it can't be anything to do with him.

Is OP's Mrs having an affair? :)

I won't go into details for obvious reasons but cloning a sim card is easy. Having access to the phone without the sim is no use (it used to be on older systems). OP seems to imply that the bloke who unlocked his phone never had access to the sim that's in it now so it can't be anything to do with him.

Is OP's Mrs having an affair? :)

As ever Gibbo you have said what a lot of us might have been thinking, but....

You are right the SIM can't have been cloned by the unlocker if he didn't have access to it, and the phone cannot have made any calls if it was switched off.

So the ONLY logical explanation is that the phone has been used without the OP's permission.

As to who, how and why.. I think the OP needs to ask closer to home as to how this may have happened, asking on here is not going to elicit the answer I'm afraid.

ETA - or of course it could just have been the SIM card that has been used after being removed from the OP's phone and used in another phone - but why bother - unless you don't want to be rumbled by the fact the complete phone is missing from the drawer rather than just the SIM and delude the OP into believing the phone has always been there.

I know -

I'm over thinking this now - but it does still come back to the answer not being on here.

Edited by MJG

Personally I would put in a different sim without telling anyone, if the BT number is then called from the new sim then I think someone is having you on.Do you know the person whose number is being called. Check the times and check if anyone was in your house at the same time alone.If this is creating problems of the legal kind take your phone to someone whose name stands up to scrutiny ask them to keep the phone and see if the calls are then made if they are not you have the answer.

Edited by romarni123

Hi Tony

Yes the credit does show that calls have been made, BUT there is nobody here to make them.

I know it sounds daft My Wife has not made them and neither have i, but nobody believes us.

Did the chap who unlocked it ring them to test it, or is there more than one call?