Electrickery gone mad

Featured Posts

Can anyone beat this for a spec?

Actually not just a spec but built into a narrowboat about five years ago by a well known builder.

4 ring rimless hob unit with halogen high speed rings

Tecknik Oven Unit say 2.5kw

Bosch Exxcel WFX3267 washing machine

White Knight reversing tumble dryer

Lec Std 230v fridge

Lec Std 230v freezer

1Kw immersion heater, the owner has had it suggested to him he only uses this in a marina

Goodmans 800w microwave

BELLING TANGO ELECTRIC FLAME EFFECT COAL STOVE 2Kw

2 x flat screen Tv's

free view recorder

Sony mini stereo system

All powered from the main propulsion engine with a Travel Power and a couple of Victron Multi plus units.

Actually not just a spec but built into a narrowboat about five years ago by a well known builder.

Lec Std 230v fridge

Lec Std 230v freezer

1Kw immersion heater, the owner has had it suggested to him he only uses this in a marina

Goodmans 800w microwave

2 x flat screen Tv's

free view recorder

Sony mini stereo system

All powered from the main propulsion engine with a Travel Power and a couple of Victron Multi plus units.

I wouldn't want anything less ;) although I don't see a dishwasher :rolleyes:

BTW anyone used one of these?

Edited by richardhula

I met a broadbeam owner who had 28x110ah batts charged from 2x24v 150amp alternators and he had to do two long engine runs per day.

This boat has 6 x 180ah domestics + the two 110 ah for the bow thruster which I forgot to mention has a 230v charger to support them.

Our "new boat" has....

One modest alternator

Single battery for both starting and "domestics", (quite possibly needing replacement, it seems!).

Headlight

Two Internal lights, (our little bit of luxury!).

A socket you can plug a laptop or phone into to charge.

I've not mentioned the "horn" because you wind a handle for that.

Keep it simple, I say!

Lec Std 230v fridge

Lec Std 230v freezer

Goodmans 800w microwave

2 x flat screen Tv's

free view recorder

Sony mini stereo system

Ridiculous!

The WM heater, the oven, the drier and the Belling Tango would individually use more than the Immersion heater at any one time.

Can you imagine the power consumption around Sunday lunchtime in the middle o' winter?

Presumably the customer knows best! :rolleyes:

In a word no, I have used lots of the travel power units, and always had good service from them. When they occasionally go wrong things can sorted with out fuss.

These units supply serious power for serious uses so I would recommend them every time.

If reliability isn't such an issue then of course give em a go and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

A

Our "new boat" has....

One modest alternator

Single battery for both starting and "domestics", (quite possibly needing replacement, it seems!).

Headlight

Two Internal lights, (our little bit of luxury!).

A socket you can plug a laptop or phone into to charge.

I've not mentioned the "horn" because you wind a handle for that.

Keep it simple, I say!

Hah! Call that simple.

My boat has one battery and a modest dynamo - none of your sophisticated modern technology.

A headlight

A socket you can plug a very small laptop or phone in to charge

No internal lighting

And our horn doesn't even have a handle - you have to blow it.

I'll raise you a bilge pump though. Don't tell me you do yours by hand - I will be impressed.

Edited by Chertsey

I wouldn't want anything less ;)

No but a large PSW inverter and alternator does the same thing with the added advantage of occasional 230v without engine running.

Hah! Call that simple.

My boat has one battery and an even more modest dynamo

A headlight

A socket you can plug a very small laptop or phone in to charge

No internal lighting

And our horn doesn't even have a handle - you have to blow it.

I'll raise you a bilge pump though. Don't tell me you do yours by hand - I will be impressed.

Inconspicuous consumption.

I checked on one of the UK agents and guess what - its Baldock's mob. Are these expensive Chris? (when you're back at your day job)

Edited to acknowledge Ricky

Mike

Edited by NBMike

No but a large PSW inverter and alternator does the same thing with the added advantage of occasional 230v without engine running.

Already got that just looking at contingency.

I have seen many references to TravelPower units made by Electrolux but googling reveals no sources. They seem very similar in concept to the Dynawatt. Are they still made? Who sells them?

Edited by richardhula

Already got that just looking at contingency.

I have seen many references to TravelPower units made by Electrolux but googling reveals no sources. They seem very similar in concept to the Dynawatt. Are they still made? Who sells them?

http://www.dometic.com/enuk/Europe/United-Kingdom/Indoors/Commercial-Vehicle-Equipment/Generators/product/?productdataid=67397

I thought I'd read that Electrolux/Dometic had stopped doing them and they were now being made & sold by a smaller outfit, but this web page suggests otherwise.

Tim

http://www.dometic.com/enuk/Europe/United-Kingdom/Indoors/Commercial-Vehicle-Equipment/Generators/product/?productdataid=67397

I thought I'd read that Electrolux/Dometic had stopped doing them and they were now being made & sold by a smaller outfit, but this web page suggests otherwise.

Tim

Thanks for the link Tim. They may well have discontinued them as the link seems a standalone one, this being just a historic page, but have emailed them for confirmation.

Lec Std 230v fridge

Lec Std 230v freezer

Goodmans 800w microwave

2 x flat screen Tv's

free view recorder

Sony mini stereo system

Hi

My boat is highly specced with sensible amounts of lectrickery and all mains and it runs no problem on 3 110 amp hour batteries it has a good inverter but for washing, ironing, dishwasher :rolleyes: etc we flick a switch and on comes our electrolux travel power which is the best bit of liveaboard kit I have ever used in over 20 years. It gets plenty of use and is now nine years old. When it stops I can have it totally fixed up for about a grand......well worth the investment in my view. :D