Minimum age of steerer

wrigglefingers

Featured Posts

Was busier 'handling a 70 footer (with a Bolinder engine!)' loaded than at "Historic Boat gatherings"! Let the kids drink wine at dinner, Steer the boat(s), use the power tools. Give them some pride and say they can do, not that they can't.

Now I have my boy http://www.joshers.info/showpicture.php?id=31

Edited by kingofthecut

Enigma, I worry about anything the RYA have to say about canal matters. They're "yotters" for heavens sake....another organisation cashing in on the canal boom that started a few years back.

IMHO children should be encouraged to steer and work boats, our daughter started so at an early age and was quite good at it. She's grow up now, married with a daughter of her own and hates boats...

Andy.

When we did the RYA my kids were 13 and 15. He was quite happy to teach them and let him use his boat, but said they couldn't be awarded the certificate until 17 (???), and he'd award them later if I'd write.

He said that if I felt confident with them in charge that was OK.

A mate of ours used to let his 6 year old steer his semi trad while on the straight bits - when he saw an approaching boat he would make sure that the boat was pointing where he wanted it and then 'hide' by ducking down while his lad would give a nod and a wave to the oncoming craft - he claimed that this gave him hours of fun! Kids love to steer and we encourage all visiting children to have a go (not so easy on the canals as the barge steers like a pig due to lack of water).

Giles

Apparently it breaks BW regulations they claim, but both have mentioned teenage parties and out-of-control teens.

Ellen is 17 and a qualified inland helm under the RYA scheme. Has anybody else heard of this?

Jill

I think i followed a link on the NABO site to byelaws, but it wasn't clear what was valid or superceeded as they have been variously ammended over the years.

The byelaws only said about Competent, no ages etc. so having both training and experience she should be competent.

simon.

• 4 months later...

I was driving speed boats at age 8, started sailing at 11, it all depends on your ability to control. My mother used to teach piano and wouldn't teach anyone under 8 years of age as they don't have enough control over their abilities, so I would say 8 is about right to start.

So far as I know, there is no rule on the canal system, although on Windermere you must be over 16 to drive any boat over 4bhp.

I think if you start early it teaches you respect for what you control, and you don't turn in to a 'boy racer' type when you are older.

My second eldest was fine from about 9 years old with the boat on the canal, he could control it perfectly, he used to drive it through swing bridges whilst I operated the bridge. (I didn't think it a good idea for a 9 year old to stop the traffic on the road ones!!)

My insurance says 'any competant person' so that is ageless.

Shop around for insurance, mine's a little different as must have unrestricted tidal use, and the boats are pretty small, but I've always had the unrestricted tidal use even on the larger boats I used to have.

Hope you get sorted.

Ellen McArthur passed her Yachmasters certificate at either 17 or 18 but the RYA were reluctant to award her with it until she got some sea time, despite the fact that she was, by then, helping to instruct others... so she set off and sailed single handed around the UK. She got her certificate when she finished the trip!

Howard Anguish

My insurance says 'any competant person' so that is ageless.

Its also meaninless. Say some one was driving your boat. They have a bump. You inform insurer. They say that a competent person would not have had said bump so we are not paying out cos you should have not left them in charge.

Justme

Its also meaninless. Say some one was driving your boat. They have a bump. You inform insurer. They say that a competent person would not have had said bump so we are not paying out cos you should have not left them in charge.

Justme

It is a fair point. I think the responsibility would be on you to prove that the driver/steerer had the relevant experience/ competance, and without any formal qualifications that would be difficult!

I used to work in insurance and I take on board (no pun) your point, but it allowed my mother to learn to water ski when she was in to her 40's and gave us a lot of fun, so I never worried, but we never needed to claim either so there we go.

Enigma, I worry about anything the RYA have to say about canal matters. They're "yotters" for heavens sake....another organisation cashing in on the canal boom that started a few years back.

I think the boom is in the salty stuff, these days. The canal boom is well on its way to a slump.

I'm sure they RYA would be happy to dumb down, so that ditch-crawlers can follow, if necessary.