12v/240v Microwave?

canaldrifter

Featured Posts

As the new Mrs Drifter would appreciate a microwave on board, can anyone recommend a 12v one that is good?

Is there a 12v/240v microwave?

cheers

Tone

I think it's either or Tone but not both....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Camping-12v-Portable-Microwave-Oven-WAVEBOX-/300558036390?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Microwaves&hash=item45faa7ada6

Edit to make a correction - according to the spec. list it does work on both 12 and 240v

Lady Muck I think has one of these and may confirm.

Edited by MJG

Four feet?

I'm thinking of taking a spur from the 12v fridge connection?

Tone

Even at four feet (is your galley really only 4 feet away from the batteries?), to keep the voltage drop within reason, you'd need to be looking at 35sq mm cable.

Thanks for erudite responses.

So.... I might be looking fr a mains microwave running off a 1500 watt inverter (bearing in mind that a 1500 watt inverter probably only gives about 1200 watts practically).

So.... what are other boaters using successfully?

Advice much appreciated.

Tone

Thanks for erudite responses.

So.... I might be looking fr a mains microwave running off a 1500 watt inverter (bearing in mind that a 1500 watt inverter probably only gives about 1200 watts practically).

So.... what are other boaters using successfully?

Advice much appreciated.

Tone

850 watt with a 4K inverter - (which we treat effectively as a 3k for reasons I won't bore you with)

Remember that micro-waves use approximately twice their stated power.

ie; 800 watt micro-wave actually requires about 1600 watt.

Is that continuously or at start-up??

Always worked on the theory that it was the output/heat that was the wattage quoted. Would definately not run a microwave through the inverter and batteries for more than a minute or so without the engine running. (If on shore power obviously this does not apply). Looking at the amount of energy they use from what the battery managment panel readout says having the engine running is essential in order not to damage or over flatten the battery bank.

When using a microwave, the microwave thingy is not on all the time looking at my electric usage thingy, so a 800w microwave spikes to around 1500-1600w quite often during cooking (it then drops to around a low < 100w number)..

Although this from wikipedia

A microwave oven converts only part of its electrical input into microwave energy. A typical consumer microwave oven consumes 1100 W of electricity in producing 700 W of microwave power, an efficiency of 64%. The other 400 W are dissipated as heat, mostly in the magnetron tube. Additional power is used to operate the lamps, AC power transformer, magnetron cooling fan, food turntable motor and the control circuits. Such wasted heat, along with heat from the product being microwaved, is exhausted as warm air through cooling vents.

Edited by Robbo

I try not to use my microwave when I'm away from shorepower. If I do then it's from an 1800w semi-sinewave inverter. The only problem is that the microwave doesn't really like the inverter's sine wave and although it works, it doesn't work as well as from the mains. That means increasing the time settings which just uses more battery power.

Sorry Martin, I had to leave.

I think you have the answer but Micro-waves control the heat/temperature a bit like the 'rings' on an electric hob, turning them selves on and off at various time intervals.

If used on 100% then the micro-wave will be on virtually continuously but at other settings will vary but of course the inverter will still need to be big enough to take the full load and surge.

The batteries will still take a hammering.:(

Sorry Martin, I had to leave.

I think you have the answer but Micro-waves control the heat/temperature a bit like the 'rings' on an electric hob, turning them selves on and off at various time intervals.

If used on 100% then the micro-wave will be on virtually continuously but at other settings will vary but of course the inverter will still need to be big enough to take the full load and surge.

The batteries will still take a hammering.:(

Cheers - noted.

Always worked on the theory that it was the output/heat that was the wattage quoted. Would definately not run a microwave through the inverter and batteries for more than a minute or so without the engine running. (If on shore power obviously this does not apply). Looking at the amount of energy they use from what the battery managment panel readout says having the engine running is essential in order not to damage or over flatten the battery bank.

Even if a microwave uses a continuous 1400w wouldent heating a meal for 5mins only use about 9amps/ that shouldn't distress the batteries too much should it? Or have I got that completly arse about face?

Even if a microwave uses a continuous 1400w wouldent heating a meal for 5mins only use about 9amps/ that shouldn't distress the batteries too much should it? Or have I got that completly arse about face?

1400W equates to a current draw of >140A at the batteries, taking inverter inefficiencies into account. As you're only drawing this for 5 minutes then you've taken approximately 12Ah from the batts. With three 100Ah batteries, that's 8% of usable battery capacity gone in 5 minutes. Sure it's do-able, but it's not insignificant.

Tony

They're not really THAT low-power though at 1200W peak usage, are they?

Tony

And thinking a bit more, you will only use it for longer to get the same result.

K - we are going the opposite way - getting rid of the beast as we bought the boat with it on board and really dont use it - even on a shore line etc..

each to their own needs

The low voltage microwaves I've seen are either silly money or work at a much lower power when on 12V input.

We have a thirty quid supermarket microwave and a ~1200W quasi sine inverter, works fine but cooking takes nearly twice the recommended time.

Tim