Timber NB 'Chase'

MtB

Featured Posts

I went to see Chase yesterday, currently for sale on the duck. Interesting boat and a fine example of a stupid project to embark upon :-)

It's a 45ft timber narrowboat built in approx 1970 by Walton boats (according the the vendor) using traditional methods. Has all the charm of a timber boat and is in a right state although appears to be fundementally sound. The vendor seems to know his stuff and is offering to carry out the work needed to bring the boat back to useable condition if I fund it. I'm very tempted as the amounts of money are relatively small.

I've been keeping a weather eye out for a short, interesting, historic and possibly timber narrowboat (ideally all four) for a whle now so this seems very tempting as its exactly what I am looking for and I suspect such boats are rare as the proverbial.

Does anybody know Chase and/or have any comments, other than that I am currently making Alan look level-headed and sane for buying Sickle?

And are there any other sub-£20k candidates out there I should be considering?

Mike

Hi Carl,

Interesting question that touches on one of my concerns.

Its a chap called Jay Price selling it, but i have not seen any documentary evidence that he owns it. To be be fair, I have asked for any though.

Mike

Its a chap called Jay Price selling it,

How does he find all this stuff?! He's always got lots of (usually interesting) bits and pieces for sale. I bought a boat from him once (cut down Big Northwich Usworth). Thought about buying a 5LW from him too. He's a character but I think he's genuine enough - did he have his sidekick who looks like a pirate with him?

(Edit to add : assuming it is the same Jay Price)

Edited by Speedwheel

Hi Carl,

Interesting question that touches on one of my concerns.

Its a chap called Jay Price selling it, but i have not seen any documentary evidence that he owns it. To be be fair, I have asked for any though.

Mike

Jay almost bought Usk, before it was broken up.

He's a proper wheeler dealer but a fair one, to my knowledge.

I have no doubt he either owns it, or is brokering the sale legitimately, as he is currently negotiating buying my friend's humber keel (edited to add: he already has a queue of buyers, for that one).

He has more contacts than a many contacted thing. That's how he gets the boats.

Edited by carlt

When I bought Usworth , I asked about a nearby crane to lift it out. He said 'I'll deliver it for you'. He and his pirate'esk mate brought it from Rotherham to Watford at no extra charge and even gave me £50 back as the alternator had packed up along the way.

Is it this one? http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=198572

Any pics?

Edited by Speedwheel

No external pics, though.

Yes that's the one, but the inside is one helluvalot muddier now than in the cached advert piccy, as the boat has been on the bottom for a few months now.

There there are some pics of the outside now. I took them yesterday and I'll put them in my gallery in a sec. Can't figure out how to include them in this post though.

Mike

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Yes that's the one, but the inside is one helluvalot muddier now compared to the cached advert piccy, as the boat has been on the bottom for a few months now.

Here there are some pics of the outside now. I took them yesterday and I'll put them in my gallery in a sec. Can't figure out how to include them in this post though.

Mike

Put them in the gallery, then let us know where the gallery is. I'll link them to this thread if you want

Richard

Put them in the gallery, then let us know where the gallery is. I'll link them to this thread if you want

Richard

Ok thanks Richard! They are in a new gallery called "Chase" under my username.

Mike

Edited to say I have bigger, higher resolution versions of these images but I uploaded low res images to suit peeps with slow connections.

Have you looked at the Ken Keay chopped down butty, at Tuckey's yard?

It looks like more boat for the money.

Edited to add: Just looked on Ebay and it's sold...Pity, I was toying with buying it, myself.

Edited by carlt

Just one point, reading the ad again.

I don't think the Walton boat exists, that is worth £15k, with the exception, possibly, of Joe Dawe (sp?).

I disagree. I'd happily pay £20k for a boat just like Chase but in decent condition.

Most Walton boats are square stern and cruiser style as I understand from my brief Googling, so nothing like as pretty. Or are elliptical-stern tug-styley Walton narrowboats more common than I think?

I'll be pleased to be corrected if I'm wrong in my understanding. Maybe I should hang on and wait for a better one if they are not so rare after all.

Just Googled Joe Dawe and found nothing! What is special about Joe Dawe?

Mike

Joe Dawe was the biggest Walton built and, when I last saw her, in immaculate condition.

I am not saying that she isn't a nice boat, I've owned a couple of Waltons myself, they just don't cost that much.

Most Waltons were centre cockpit cruisers but built to the same standard as the counter sterned models.

I will stress that it is only my opinion and a wooden boat is worth anything you want to pay for it.

Personally (again, just my opinion), I'd pay a grand for a boat that has been sunk for months and find someone who will charge in the region of £1k per plank, to fix it up.

If a Walton boat needs 15 planks then it isn't worth a grand (It barely has 15 planks).

Interesting to read about Jay Price as we got talking to him at Braunston at the weekend. He recognised Chertsey immediately and seemed to have some knowledge of its 'missing years' (1963-69). We held a conversation as best we could shouting across the cut (he seemed to be a bit deaf) but he wouldn't take up our offer of a drink as he had to meet someone about a boat - probably Mike! Hoping to run into him again.

I disagree. I'd happily pay £20k for a boat just like Chase but in decent condition.

Most Walton boats are square stern and cruiser style as I understand from my brief Googling, so nothing like as pretty. Or are elliptical-stern tug-styley Walton narrowboats more common than I think?

I'll be pleased to be corrected if I'm wrong in my understanding. Maybe I should hang on and wait for a better one if they are not so rare after all.

Just Googled Joe Dawe and found nothing! What is special about Joe Dawe?

Mike

I think you will find the correct name for that boat is JODOR. I did a bit of engine servicing on it in the late 60`s

Interesting to read about Jay Price as we got talking to him at Braunston at the weekend. He recognised Chertsey immediately and seemed to have some knowledge of its 'missing years' (1963-69). We held a conversation as best we could shouting across the cut (he seemed to be a bit deaf) but he wouldn't take up our offer of a drink as he had to meet someone about a boat - probably Mike! Hoping to run into him again.

He does seem to know everyone and every boat out there and has successfully rehomed many boats, from under the nose of the gas axe or dredger.

He couldn't, unfortunately, find a home for Usk in time.

I think you will find the correct name for that boat is JODOR. I did a bit of engine servicing on it in the late 60`s

Yep, that's the one.