Iona and Monty are off to Coventry

Ange

Featured Posts

Well that turned out to be an eventful day! Shortly after setting off dad realised he hadn't taken his chimney down. Rather than moor up he slowed down and walked along the gunnels to lift it off. It stuck and when he freed it the momentum pushed him over whilst rocking the boat - next thing he knew he was waist deep in the canal!! Mum was indoors and didn't realise anything was amiss until she looked out of the window and saw dad looking in at her. Oh how we laughed!! Unfortunately no photos were taken - the first we knew of it was when Dave looked back and saw both mum & dad on the bank.

After giving up due to the winds we finally set off at about 5pm - what a difference in the weather! It was lovely and sunny, just a bit blustery at times. We had to perform a rescue mission on a boat called Gilly Flower, both it's piling hooks had come free and the boat was drifting across the canal. We made sure it was securely tied before we left it.

Mille nearly came a cropper. I'd been inside making a brew and came to the back to talk to Dave. Keen to say hello she charged along the roof of the boat, leapt onto the wooden back hatch and had too much momentum to stop herself launching off the back of the boat!! Luckily Dave was on the ball and caught her in his arms.

We've moored up just past the A5 bridge before Fazeley - a very nice woodland spot. We've even got a TV signal so we can watch Julia Bradbury tonight.

The wind on the Atherstone flight has been horrendous today.

Hopefully it'll be better tomorrow! My brother can't understand why we can't tell him when we'll get to Coventry - losing a day cos it's too windy is a prime example of why you can't predict your arrival time!

A much more uneventful day apart from the dog misjudging the distance between the boat and the bank and getting a dunking! We're moored at the top of Atherstone Locks for the night. I did look out for Romarni but couldn't see her - sorry if I missed you!

We should make it into the basin tomorrow - fingers crossed there's mooring spaces there.

we have decided to stay marina bound due to the wind.

Well, I should go easy on the baked beans Martin.

It was a little breezy yesterday. We were mooring up outside the Plum Pudding at Armitage (T&M). It's on a bank there & the wind just took the boat with two of us hanging on. Got it back --- just.

Good Italian meal there by the way.

A much more uneventful day apart from the dog misjudging the distance between the boat and the bank and getting a dunking! We're moored at the top of Atherstone Locks for the night. I did look out for Romarni but couldn't see her - sorry if I missed you!

We should make it into the basin tomorrow - fingers crossed there's mooring spaces there.

There are usually plenty of spaces there.

Wave to Wot Ever as you pass Springwood Haven. We won't be there - w*rk calls - and she gets lonely on her own ;)

Tony

Edited by WotEver

There are usually plenty of spaces there.

Wave to Wot Ever as you pass Springwood Haven. We won't be there - w*rk calls - and she gets lonely on her own ;)

Tony

Will do :)

Hi ya I was looking out for you sorry I missed you enjoy your trip to cov.

We've arrived in Coventry Basin after dodging the rubbish and wheelie bins that lifted the front of the boat in the last mile or so. Surprisingly we didn't pick anything up on the prop that a good bit of reverse didn't clear. There was only one boat in the basin when we arrived so plenty of room to moor up.

I think the transport museum will be on the agenda tomorrow.

Total distance from our starting point last Monday is 123 miles, 3¼ flg and 72 locks. There are at least 2 moveable bridges of which 1 is usually left open; 25 small aqueducts or underbridges and 4 tunnels.

Time for a rest now methinks :)

I may not have recognised 'flg' as furlong, but you don't catch me that easily.

I do know there are 8 furlongs to a mile, so a furlong would be 'just OVER a tenth of a mile' :-)

Cheers.

Blame google, it says:

0.09375 miles

PC

We've arrived in Coventry Basin after dodging the rubbish and wheelie bins that lifted the front of the boat in the last mile or so. Surprisingly we didn't pick anything up on the prop that a good bit of reverse didn't clear. There was only one boat in the basin when we arrived so plenty of room to moor up.

I think the transport museum will be on the agenda tomorrow.

Total distance from our starting point last Monday is 123 miles, 3¼ flg and 72 locks. There are at least 2 moveable bridges of which 1 is usually left open; 25 small aqueducts or underbridges and 4 tunnels.

Time for a rest now methinks :)

Shame we missed you - we reached Fradley last night, heading straight up the T&M.

Bazza - that's 9 hundredths and 3 thousandths of a mile? Just under 10 hundredths, or one tenth?

PC

Look, let's get this right. A furlong is 220 yards, 660 feet, 40 rods, or 10 chains, okay?

Tony ;)