Vacuum cleaner on boat

DaveC

Featured Posts

Sophie is the best vacuum cleaner I've had when it comes to picking up foodstuffs, but then she counters that by leaving hair of the dog everywhere.

I've also got a 1200 watt Bosch aquavac that works OK off a 1500 watt inverter with the engine running. The aquavac is essential for clearing up the odd spills too. I've even emptied a flooded bilge with it on a power hook-up.

Tone

Guest wanted

2cv bloke who hasn't posted for a bit is the one to ask, he collects themm! after lot's of cheap rubbish vacs we decided to go for a cheap, siple method of stiff brush and pan. works a treat. :cheers:

Has anyone mentioned the benefits of having a wetvac on board?

I have a ProAction 20 litre 1250w wet/dry vac that I bought at Argos for 50 quid. It's very powerful as a general vacuum cleaner and good for getting water out of the bilges if the need arises.

The only thing is that it's a bit bulky to store on most NBs.

Thanks everyone. Henry seems a popular choice so will look further into getting one.

Cheers

Dave

I've used a Henry at work. To be honest I don't understand why everyone raves about them.

Edited by blackrose

We've just taken delivery of the Samsung SC8442 from Dixons (£63.25 less Quidco rebate) and have to say it's terrific,

Small enough to live in our cupboard, powerful enough to clean our wheelhouse (mucky shoes) mats, and with a pet-hair turbo-brush for the soft furnishings.

And not too noisy either

I think we made the right choice

Small enough to fit in whatever cupboard it will live in, and powerful enough to do its job. I had a cordless dustbuster thingummy for years which was useless despite being staggeringly expensive -the fine dust generated by the fire clogged it constantly. Now on a standard one close to the invertor power (vacuum when the engin'es running to get most out of it) and much happier.

What are these 'airflow' nozzles or other things that collect cat hairs? Or maybe I should just vacuum the ever-moulting mog direct?

What are these 'airflow' nozzles or other things that collect cat hairs? Or maybe I should just vacuum the ever-moulting mog direct?

don't try that with a dyson. ours accidentally gobbled up one of our dog's toys (a teddy bear) with a satisfying PLOPP!!

........... mind you, not being a cat lover ............... but that's another story :rolleyes:

I've used a Henry at work. To be honest I don't understand why everyone raves about them.

As cheap vacuums go, my Henry is the only one I have owned that can hoover up anything from hairs and dust to gravel, concrete and plastic without either going wrong or blocking the pipe. The suction is brilliant. Its is so simple there is nothing on it to break. And it takes simply ages before it needs emptying. the last time I emptied it, it had gone for about 6 months without getting full. (actually that might have had more to do with not doing any housework :blush: )

Small enough to fit in whatever cupboard it will live in, and powerful enough to do its job. I had a cordless dustbuster thingummy for years which was useless despite being staggeringly expensive -the fine dust generated by the fire clogged it constantly. Now on a standard one close to the invertor power (vacuum when the engin'es running to get most out of it) and much happier.

Look at http://www.henryvacs.co.uk/acatalog/Turbo_and_Airobrush_Heads.html

haggis

As cheap vacuums go, my Henry is the only one I have owned that can hoover up anything from hairs and dust to gravel, concrete and plastic without either going wrong or blocking the pipe. The suction is brilliant. Its is so simple there is nothing on it to break. And it takes simply ages before it needs emptying. the last time I emptied it, it had gone for about 6 months without getting full. (actually that might have had more to do with not doing any housework :blush: )

Only trouble is they're not that cheap!

We have just bought a Zanussi ZAN161 which is basicly a 120W hand held on a stick. The coop round here is selling them at £23. Initial I've only given it a quick test it was effective but noisy. As with any hend held teh dust bag aint very big. But it has the advantage of being easy to store and wont give the inverter indigestion.

Regards

Tc

Sealey Wet&Dry. £25.

10 litres capacity.

1000W power.

Empties bilge with ease, and doesn't kill batts.

Less capacity than a 'Henry'. but small enough to stow under the bed.

I will second this one. We have one and think it is great. Paid £29.95 0ff Ebay.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Sealey Wet&Dry. £25.

10 litres capacity.

1000W power.

Empties bilge with ease, and doesn't kill batts.

Less capacity than a 'Henry'. but small enough to stow under the bed.

Roughly what are the dimensions?

Cheers

Mark

Not on the boat at the moment, but guess less than 18H x 12W x 14D. It easily fits under the Pullman dinette and stands up. I'll try and remember to measure it at the weekend and update.

Doug

• 1 month later...

Only trouble is they're not that cheap!

Hi

I have just bought a Henry vacuum for my narrow boat. It has a Mastervolt 1200W Inverter with 3 x 90 amp hr leisure batteries (I think they are as only just bought boat) Anyway, the Henry runs at half power (600w) and this worked really great as the boat required a good vacuum. I did not even try switching it to 1200w. I was using the Henry for at least 2 hours with no great drain from the batteries or though I must admit, I did have the engine running for some of this time and I also have a solar panel (not sure the output but probably around 60-80 watt - its about 1' x 4' in size and is made by Siemens.

Anyway, in my long experience with Numatic Henry's, they cant be beaten in any way. You can keep those over priced plastic blobs called Dyson although I take my hat off to James Dyson for bringing out a vacuum for three times the price of a Henry ans managing to sell it.

By the way, if you can beg, steal or borrow a Makro card, the Henry is £69.99 in there at the moment (plus VAT about £84)

Hope this helps someone.

Rob :captain:

Hi

I have just bought a Henry vacuum for my narrow boat. It has a Mastervolt 1200W Inverter with 3 x 90 amp hr leisure batteries (I think they are as only just bought boat) Anyway, the Henry runs at half power (600w) and this worked really great as the boat required a good vacuum. I did not even try switching it to 1200w. I was using the Henry for at least 2 hours with no great drain from the batteries or though I must admit, I did have the engine running for some of this time and I also have a solar panel (not sure the output but probably around 60-80 watt - its about 1' x 4' in size and is made by Siemens.

Anyway, in my long experience with Numatic Henry's, they cant be beaten in any way. You can keep those over priced plastic blobs called Dyson although I take my hat off to James Dyson for bringing out a vacuum for three times the price of a Henry ans managing to sell it.

By the way, if you can beg, steal or borrow a Makro card, the Henry is £69.99 in there at the moment (plus VAT about £84)

Hope this helps someone.

Rob :captain:

And they are manufactured in the UK too (Hentry's that is, not Dyson's now)

Rob

What you need is called a Hunter Vac. It is a small hand held vac with a beater bar intended for use on stairs and confined spaces. You do need a genny (I run mine off a little honda ex650) or an inverter, but they are far and away the best small vac on the market. They even have HEPA filtration. I'm a professional carpet and upholstery cleaner and all the pro's use these machines. (Don't even mention Dysons.) The best news is you can get a Hunter vac for under £40 just Google the name. They are very noisy, you need ear plugs/cotton wool but this is because they work. Get one and you will be truly amazed at the stuff that comes out of your carpets.