Vacuum cleaner on boat

DaveC

Featured Posts

My wife is fed up with the carpet sweeper we have on the boat so we are thinking of getting a vacuum cleaner. I've seen one on Amazon for about £25 - a Draper 600 watts - so wonder if anyone on here has one, or can recommend a similar powered cleaner. Don't want a 12 volt one and would limit the power to 600 to 800 watts (1500 watt inverter).

Thanks

Dave

Dunno about that one, but we have the pivot head cordless B&D Dustbuster at home and it's stunning. At least 10 mins really strong suction from a full charge. Here's a link (we paid less that tha, it's just the first link I found).

I note they also do a 'car' version with a cigar plug on the end, but I've no idea of it's efficacy.

Tony

I should go for the most powerful one that the inverter can handle. It's only going to be used for a few minutes at a time, so it's not going to kill your batteries. And a more powerful one will do the job quicker, so there won't be a huge power-saving anyway.

I have a hand-held Dyson DC31. Expensive up front but very effective and I actually got it for almost half price in a Tesco sale. Charges off the inverter (i.e. during the day when the engine's running) and then has about 6 - 8 minutes of sucking life before it needs charging again. And since this about as long as I can be bothered to vacuum anyway ........ :blush:

I have a hand-held Dyson DC31.

Yeah, we looked at the Dyson but SWMBO said "That's the most ugly thing I've ever seen in my life!" So we kept looking ;)

When she saw the B&D she said "Oooh...". So that's what we got :)

Tony

Yeah, we looked at the Dyson but SWMBO said "That's the most ugly thing I've ever seen in my life!" So we kept looking ;)

When she saw the B&D she said "Oooh...". So that's what we got :)

Tony

My Dyson read this and has just burst into tears :angry:

Awww... you should have shielded its little eyes.

Lift the corner of a mat and give it a treat ;)

Tony

:lol: ... would we could all be so easily cheered up!!

I've got a Bosch 1400watt (free from Freecycle) on a Sterling 1800watt MSW invertor, works fine. I run the engine when using it. I would say buy the max you can run from your invertor, it's really frustrating trying to use something underpowered. As already commented, something decent won't need to be run for long.

So it is, but they do work quite well it gets our cats hairs up off the carpet.

We have two - one for the boat and one for home :)

The trouble with them is that they can't get into nooks and crannies like a vac with a nozzle - that's why I like the Dustbuster.

Tony

We have two - one for the boat and one for home :)

The trouble with them is that they can't get into nooks and crannies like a vac with a nozzle - that's why I like the Dustbuster.

Tony

That must be what that hairy strip is round the edges of the carpet :lol:

We've got a green Henry on Copperkins and I find it extremely good. We recently bought an airflo (or similar) head which makes it even less work to pick up the dog hairs. I think we have had it about 15 years now! We tried a rechargable on gamebird but it was pretty useless - it was a fairly powerful one but the collecting container was so small that I spent my time emptying it. Which was fiddly. It was a Dustbuster, I think.

haggis

we have a samsung bagless one with all sorts of attachments. It has variable power up to 2Kw. When on inverter and engine running or on a good land line power or generator I can run it at max power. w

hen on the pathetic 5A supy in the Marine I run at a lower power. It means when I need more power I have it and when I cannot have the power it adapts. A good little sucker as well.

Keith

We have just bought the small version of the Dyson ball and its Fab we love it very cute and 100 pounds off at the mo

We also bought the Dyson DC24 Ball - a small collapsing upright - just the right size for the boat, excellent.

We have the best vac ever invented.....its a 1960's cylinder jobby and I kid you not if you can get hold of one you will not be disappointed. Its 240 but will run on the smallest inverter....dog hairs are a synch...dog biscuits are a doddle..anything. The best bit is you flip the top open and shake the built in felt bag into the cut and its good to go again.

We have a Dyson on the boat but recently bought a Numatic 'Henry' HVR200A for the house and it is excellent. We will probably get another 'Henry' for the boat when our Dyson reaches the end of its useful life.

The nice thing about Numatic products is that apart from being the 'Rolls Royce' of vacuum cleaners, they are British made by British labour and the company is seriously committed to training and developing local employment opportunities.

Link to Numatic website

Link to Numatic Apprenticeships

The nice thing about Numatic products is that apart from being the 'Rolls Royce' of vacuum cleaners, they are British made by British labour and the company is seriously committed to training and developing local employment opportunities.

I have a Numatic in the workshop - one of the best buys I ever made.

Tony

Our first vac, in the 70s, was an Electrolux cylinder one. Worked really well with loads of suck and rated at 300 watts. It's really difficult now to buy anything much under about 1500w. We curreently use an old Dyson that's rated at 1100 and that works fine, but very noisy (bearings about to go methinks). When that dies we will get a Henry or one of its siblings.