Boat safety this week

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

You can access the guide to the BSS for privately owned and managed craft Here. It makes no mention of life saving equipment so, as far as I can see, there is no requirement for you to carry a life belt to get a certificate. I think the rules are different if you use EA rivers and, of course, you might consider it prudent to carry some life saving equipment whatever the rules say.

Excellent something else we can lose from our roof - I always carried one because I thought we had to...

Just bought life jackets for the river bits mind...

I life belt ring jobbie?

If so i will get it out of my conservatory and take back to the boat!

BTW I am on a canal not a river. :)

No requirement for a life buoy on a private (non hire) boat for the BSS regardless of where you cruise.

It may however be a condition of your navigation authority, BW/EA/Broads etc, as a condition of your licence, and of course your insurance Co. may require certain safety equipment to be carried

Paul M

Excellent something else we can lose from our roof - I always carried one because I thought we had to...

Just bought life jackets for the river bits mind...

I value my future existance quite highly.

Although we do not wear life jackets all day...I insist that we put them on while locking.

Both my wife and I can swin quite well....but...as has been proved by recent fatal accidents...swimming is tricky if you have clonked your head while falling in a lock.

That's my opinion.

Bob

Thanks all, that is about what thought, we did go through the book and did not notice anything about the life belt but a bloke I met at Little Venice yesterday said I had to have one - first I had heard about it actually. I do have one under the bed so I guess it would not hurt to stick it somewhere visible

Wish me luck :)

Thanks all, that is about what thought, we did go through the book and did not notice anything about the life belt but a bloke I met at Little Venice yesterday said I had to have one - first I had heard about it actually. I do have one under the bed so I guess it would not hurt to stick it somewhere visible

Wish me luck :)

The bloke was wrong.

but a bloke I met at Little Venice yesterday said I had to have one -

Not needed for BSS, but I think (though I might be wrong) that it is needed on new boats for Certificate of Compliance.

Julie,

I know you like to pretend to go "all woozy" when anything gets slightly "technical", (witnessed it only the other day, didn't I!?! :lol), but with the BSS it really REALLY is worth reading the downloadable guide before your examination.

Despite what some would have you believe, it is very clear on what falls within the remit of an inspection, and what does not, and most topics do make it very clear what are actual mandatory requirements, and what is just advisory, and will not actually produce a fail. (You will find no references life-belts, for certain!).

But do you know, for example if your fire-extinguishers and fire blanket comply, though ? These are very easy things to get right, just by reading the guide, and in my view it is sensible to eliminate the obvious in advance.

By the way a non working engine hour meter is a definite fail..... (That was a "joke" by the way - engine gauges do not figure in any way in the items tested....)