No More Nails

MrCJ

Featured Posts

Hi all

i was Just wondering if this product does what it says and works. How long before anything that is stuck up with it falls down, and what is the heaviest thing that you have used it on.

Has anyone used it on their boat??

Everyones thoughts are welcome...

Just another thought if you use it and then down the line you want to remove the item that you stuck up how easy or hard is it to remove said item.

Hi all

i was Just wondering if this product does what it says and works. How long before anything that is stuck up with it falls down, and what is the heaviest thing that you have used it on.

Just another thought if you use it and then down the line you want to remove the item that you stuck up how easy or hard is it to remove said item.

No more nails is aimed at the non DIY ist. In other words for most uses there are better wys of doing it. As a glue it certainly sticks but leaves a slight gap between the surfaces.

Used it on the boat one to fix some strip wood edging,but to be honest if I had to do it again id use white glue and a temporary nail.

As for removing thigs after wards I think it would be a case of destroying the item in the process!

Ive never been very keen on the use of these types of adhesives for use in boat fitting jobs, although they seem to be used by a number of fitters with success. I have always used conventional fixings and small quantities of adhesive when the need is pressing and advantage can be gained. They certainly cause huge problems if you need to remove any of the materials fastened in place with them! About a year ago I was asked to remove some water damaged block board linings from the inside faces of a pair of side doors. The fact that they had been fixed with adhesive meant that I was forced to router the linings into small pieces and chisel away for an hour and a half to remove linings and adhesive. I finished up exhausted but with a new respect for the strength of the bond!

Mike.

I've found No more nails to be pretty useless. It is quite thick and does not penetrate into the wood the glue itself dries to a fairly brittle white solid. I've chucked my tube away and gone back to ordinary PVA such as Evostik resin W

TC

Hi all

Hi

In 1999/2000 I fitted out a new shell and used no nails to fix all internal battens to the steelwork before lining out !! No nails was pretty newish then so it was either a brave or could have been a daft move. I sold the boat in 2000 and have kept in touch with it and can say it has not budged at all so I can safely say it definately does what it says on the tube.............at least for elleven years

On the same theme forget "liquid nails" It claims to have instant grab and to be gap filling. It might be gap filling if there is no tension on the item to be fixed but it is certainly not instant grab. I tried it today and after an hour when I removed the wedges it immediately gave way and was still liquid - I resorted to the time honoued rawl plugs and screws.

I have a tendency towards polyurethane wood glues, these stick most things (one must be porous) have some gap filling properties and seem to work. I have fixed clay bricks to iron beams and still there 3 years later, also wood to steel. The work tends to need bracing till set though.

Edited by Bat & Frog

I once used no nails to fix a heavy brass hook to some brickwork that was impervious to hammer drills. That was ten years ago. Admitted it only has to support tea towels, but I have tried hanging off it a few times and it is definitely not going anywhere.

Hi all

Just used this product this weekend to replace the frame/edging around the top of one of our side hatches, a couple of comments -

- it's messy, wait until it dries and clean any excess off afterwards

- it's strong, but not for external use

The decaying building at which I work is held together with the stuff, both indoors and out. I used it for certain jobs when fitting out our boat, and it has worked well. I did not use it to fix battens to the shell however.

We tested various glues on wood at work and for most jobs, slow araldite wins out.

we had the builders in to do some conversion work. All timber (skirtings, etc.) and stone splashbacks was fixed with silicone. They wouldn't hear of no more nails type glues.

I had to replace some skirtings last week. The silicone was brilliant, allows adjustment for an hour or so, and then hangs on well, but allows removal if you are really determined.

Of course for structural joints polyurethane does the business.

we had the builders in to do some conversion work. All timber (skirtings, etc.) and stone splashbacks was fixed with silicone. They wouldn't hear of no more nails type glues.

I had to replace some skirtings last week. The silicone was brilliant, allows adjustment for an hour or so, and then hangs on well, but allows removal if you are really determined.

Of course for structural joints polyurethane does the business.

Silicone sealant is a good adhesive for many things. Baths are frequently glued in place in houses with the stuff. We have a "smart arse" teacher where I work who said it was no use for such things, but we stuck some plastic items to a wall 15 years ago, and they still stand. I used it as adhesive to tile the bathroom on the boat, and so good was the result that I did the utility at home the same way. After the mess made when I tried to get tiles off in the bathroom at home (plasterboard wall) I would definitely use it there too; at least that way you can get them off without structural damage. Rather than trash the wall any more, I had to tile over the old tiles :(.

Silicone sealant is a good adhesive for many things. Baths are frequently glued in place in houses with the stuff. We have a "smart arse" teacher where I work who said it was no use for such things, but we stuck some plastic items to a wall 15 years ago, and they still stand. I used it as adhesive to tile the bathroom on the boat, and so good was the result that I did the utility at home the same way. After the mess made when I tried to get tiles off in the bathroom at home (plasterboard wall) I would definitely use it there too; at least that way you can get them off without structural damage. Rather than trash the wall any more, I had to tile over the old tiles :(.

We have fitted all the upstands in our new kitchen (not boat) with silicon sealant. It's much easier to work with than no more nails

Richard

Sticks like shi... well, you know

No More Nails is too thick and becomes powdery and brittle with age. It also lacks flexibility which is vital on boats. If not using screws then I would rather use PVA adhesives for woodworking jobs or Marineflex (polyurethane structural adhesive) for any heavier, loadbearing type jobs.

No More Nails is too thick and becomes powdery and brittle with age. It also lacks flexibility which is vital on boats. If not using screws then I would rather use PVA adhesives for woodworking jobs or Marineflex (polyurethane structural adhesive) for any heavier, loadbearing type jobs.

Humble PVA is very strong stuff for wood. I have glued up several electric guitar bodies with it over the years, as well as other woodworking projects. I don't have much experience with Marineflex. My son uses "Tigerseal" on car bodywork, and that is amazing stuff, doubling s adhesive and sealant. I wonder if it is similar stuff?