Long stoppage planned for the Oxford

Featured Posts

A better angle might be a local campaign to make sure that the public right of way is restored (ie a new bridge built at some point)

A look at the Ordnance Survey map shows that there is no right of way over the bridge.

Might be worth talking to local ramblers associations, maybe fishing too, if it would affect access for local fishermen, and local residents of course. Getting a pre-emptive local campaign going would at least make it harder for them to profiteer from this. If they have the right sort of local MP, it could be a lot more successful than that.

In terms of doing it, you start off by talking to the people affected and find out what's going on, how the locals feel, which local organisations might be interested in getting involved. It would be pretty important to have some back-up for the idea that this is being used as an opportunity to run the pub down for development, too. The pub tenants might be useful there.

I hate to be a wet blanket but, with the bend in the canal and the fact that there is access to the towpath from the road bridge, the loss of the bridge adds only a few yards to the walk from the moorings to the pub and would cause little hardship to residents, ramblers or anglers. When it comes down to who is going to pay for a new bridge they have to weigh up what the advantages and disadvantages are of building it compared with not building it. With it not being a right of way I can't see anyone coughing up the dosh for a new bridge.

canal and the fact that there is access to the towpath from the road bridge, the loss of the bridge adds only a few yards to the walk from the moorings to the pub

I don't believe there is though - happy to be corrected though by somebody with more local knowledge. From memory it would require a walk along the tow path under the main road bridge to the next road, back along that then onto the main road and then to the pub...

more than a few extra yards.

If so, then that would undoubtedly be a more satisfactory solution. But do you think the folk at PT would contemplate doing something like that?

If it was cheaper why wouldn't they?

A look at the Ordnance Survey map shows that there is no right of way over the bridge.

I hate to be a wet blanket but, with the bend in the canal and the fact that there is access to the towpath from the road bridge, the loss of the bridge adds only a few yards to the walk from the moorings to the pub and would cause little hardship to residents, ramblers or anglers. When it comes down to who is going to pay for a new bridge they have to weigh up what the advantages and disadvantages are of building it compared with not building it. With it not being a right of way I can't see anyone coughing up the dosh for a new bridge.

Cheers!

If there is access from the road bridge, then it comes down to heritage and local consultation.

You'd be lucky to get any kind of sensible response.

tone

Especially in the month left before the demolition is due to take place! Even if BW respected the stipulations of FOIA, that would be cutting it fine.

If there is access from the road bridge, then it comes down to heritage and local consultation.

see my post that crossed yours - AFAIK there isn't...

ed to change an H to an F

Edited by MJG

Looking at Peters pics I'd say the arch was intact isn't it :unsure: savable after all maybe?
Hmmm. The one I failed to upload properly at first go is here:

med_gallery_7537_648_16231.jpg

The arch is intact - but it doesn't have that reassuring smooth curve - more of a ugly wobbly hump. Sad. Maybe that's the main problem, and the foundations are wobbly too:

... British Waterways’ Senior Bridge Engineer recommended to Punch Taverns in August 2010 that the only feasible options available were to either demolish the bridge or support the arch temporarily whilst a new structural saddle on independent foundations was constructed.

I've sent an email off to the local branch of the IWA

Richard

Great. You'll probably get a response.... about next Michaelmas.

That's what I got here, in my efforts to keep the Yorks Derwent open to navigation.

As far as instant useful campaigning goes I would suggest the IWA (like SOW now) are about as effective as trying to block a plughole with toilet paper.

tone

Great. You'll probably get a response.... about next Michaelmas.

That's what I got here, in my efforts to keep the Yorks Derwent open to navigation.

As far as instant useful campaigning goes I would suggest the IWA (like SOW now) are about as effective as trying to block a plughole with toilet paper.

tone

It still seems a better option than not contacting them

Richard

The arch is intact - but it doesn't have that reassuring smooth curve - more of a ugly wobbly hump. Sad. Maybe that's the main problem, and the foundations are wobbly too:

Yes that one is much grimmer.

The arch is clearly sagging and it is in a much worse state than the earlier photos suggested.

Any resto project need a nice bridge?

Ta. Good junction.

tone

I'm just wondering if the local industrial heritage society at Coventry know about this move?

tone

Definitely worth checking out any groups like this.

And the ramblers association - even if it's not an official right of way, it may be a de facto one. Does anyone who knows the area know if it's a popular starting point for walkers? This pageexplains how to get an unrecorded right of way recorded as such. They're quite militant, and quite successful, so any way to get them involved would probably be helpful.

I don't believe there is though - happy to be corrected though by somebody with more local knowledge. From memory it would require a walk along the tow path under the main road bridge to the next road, back along that then onto the main road and then to the pub...

Google Street View shows steps leading down to the towpath on the north west side of the bridge.

If so, then that would undoubtedly be a more satisfactory solution. But do you think the folk at PT would contemplate doing something like that?

If it was cheaper why wouldn't they?

Because such a solution wouldn't occur to them or would involve more thought and planning?

Google Street View shows steps leading down to the towpath on the north west side of the bridge.

Cheers - I couldn't recall seeing those from the last time we passed there and GE wasn't clear.

Access to the pub therefore is not that adversely affected folks,

Access to the pub therefore is not that adversely affected folks,

I think the real issue is should an old canal structure be allowed to deteriorate, to the point where demolition is necessary, because its only value is heritage?

I think the real issue is should an old canal structure be allowed to deteriorate, to the point where demolition is necessary, because its only value is heritage?

Oh I agree - I just thought that aspect might have added some leverage.

I think one other issue is that is is likely/possible that the bridge has deteriorated even further than Peter's pictures show, his were taken last summer mine was taken the previous Feb. looking at the deterioration during that time span, it must be very close to collapse now, many months on from when the last pictures were taken...

From a practical sense how would they approach re-construction, I'm guessing demolish it during the present agreed stoppage in May - preserve what they can of the existing materials and re-build with an agreed winter stoppage later in the year early next?? - or would they be able to maintain passage during at least some of the re-construction??

I suspect we are in the 'too horrendously expensive for them to contemplate re-construction' category now - a real shame...

Edited by MJG

I suspect we are in the 'too horrendously expensive for them to contemplate re-construction' category now - a real shame...

PT will see its demolition of a chance to rid themselves of the liability, once and for all. Hell will freeze over before they put a penny more into that bridge than they can get away with.

It doesn't look any worse than Yarnton Road bridge (228) on the Southern Oxford. That's got a 'flat' bit up one side and it's still carrying traffic. I doubt the foundations are wobbly though

Went beneath bridge 15 about an hour ago. We are moored between 15 & 16 as I type.

I have taken some photo's but they are little different to the ones already posted.

If anything the arch has sagged a little more but no enlargement in the cracks.

Think I may need the hard hat on the way back.

Edited by Ray T

med_gallery_7537_648_32810.jpg

All we need is the magic wand and here it is fixed :-)

Hmmmmm maybe that's a 2005 picture.

More to the point - that pointy bit in the middle - is that a unique survivor hereabouts? Or just some odd brickwork? I can't see any other of the surviving North Oxford bridges looking like that.