Re-licence needed - how to contact BW?

MtB

Featured Posts

My Gold Licence expired at the end of 2010. I failed to renew it at the time as no reminder arrived from BW, I'd lost my round tuit, and the boat was frozen in anyway.

Yesterday morning I finally got around to it and called BW to ask how to renew my Gold Licence in the absence of a renewal reminder. I was put on hold and eventually cut off. Since then I've dialed the number at Watford many, many times and only ever get a recorded message telling me how busy the are and how I might get through if I try later or send an email. So I emailed. No response apart from an automated email saying how busy they are...

Is there a BW office I can perhaps visit to get a Gold licence issued? Or does anyone from BW read these forums who can help me get my boat licenced please?

Or any other suggestions? I can't do it on line as I need the renewal number from the paper renewal reminder notification which never arrived.

I find their inability to relieve me of over a thousand quid rather worrying and NOT a good indicator of how things are going to be when it is run by volunteers (or whatever is planned for the future). If I were running an organisation like BW I'd put revenue collection as the highest priority of all. Without money there IS no organisation. I've always found the service given by BW on the phone to be very good indeed whenever I've had a query until now. The change since I called them last is quite shocking.

Mike

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Have you tried calling the customer service number 0845 671 5530, rather than a specific office. I found customer services very helpful.

My understanding is that all licensing is processed by Leeds, so unless you can do it over the counter in Leeds, it has to be sent there and you can not get one over the counter at other location. Not sure if if being a gold license makes any difference or not.

I went in to the BW Fazeley office and they checked the license application, and then sent off to Leeds for Processing. They also give you a receipt to display in the boat until you get the licence back, which took about a month.

Have you tried calling the customer service number 0845 671 5530, rather than a specific office. I found customer services very helpful.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I've just dialed that number now and I get exactly the same automated message as on the Watford number. I think the Watford number must be being diverted to Leeds now.

The messaage is by girlie saying they are REALLY sorry that high call volumes are preventing them from answering my call right now. She sounds like she really means it and is quite upset about it actually. I think they are badly understaffed. Try ringing the number and listening! She even mentions how 'the team' is really small and struggling to keep up!

Mike

An update:

Having searched the BW site I've found a Gold Licence Application form in PDF format. I'll print it and just apply for a fresh Gold Licence and send it off complete with all the supporting documentation and a note. That should do the trick!

Thanks,

Mike

BW licensing has gone to pot since it went to Leeds, they never answer the phone and may take weeks to issue the licence, cant see how it can get worse when volunteers take over.

They do however have agents who can take your form, insurance details copy boat cert and cheque, usually payable to BW, and give you an official BW receipt to tide you over, as mentioned in a previous post. As far as I know you can use a standard downloadable form though I suspect you will have to pay the late payment surcharge/fine (£150)

Heres a list of agents

www.britishwaterways.co.uk/media/documents/.../Boat_licensing_agents.xls

If none are near pm me, my club is one and we could do it by post.

Edited to add if you are on the Thames of course get your licence from EA!

Edited by Phoenix_V

Which is a Watford number!

Tim

D'oh, you're right. I hadn't spotted that - it's the number they're still putting on their invoices (dated Jan 2011))

I've also got 0113 281 6800 and 013 200 5728 on other correspondence from them - which are both Leeds numbers - for the Boating Trade Team and the Cashiers respectively.

D'oh, you're right. I hadn't spotted that - it's the number they're still putting on their invoices (dated Jan 2011))

I've also got 0113 281 6800 and 013 200 5728 on other correspondence from them - which are both Leeds numbers - for the Boating Trade Team and the Cashiers respectively.

Many thanks for those numbers.

I just got through to a very helpful chap on the first number. He is going to get me a duplicate Gold renewal form sent in the post today, or confirm to me later that I can print and use the initial Gold Licence application form from the Waterscape website without triggering a ton of complications due to duplication of application on the system.

He also was able to confirm my Gold cannot be renewed on line and it MUST be done with cheques and paper forms through the post.

Mike

If none are near pm me, my club is one and we could do it by post.

Edited to add if you are on the Thames of course get your licence from EA!

Thank you for your offer, but having contacted intelligent life at BW I'll see if it pans out with them for now. I might yet be in touch though if the BW contact doesn't work out!

And yes I am on the Thames but the EA tells me they do not issue Gold Licences and I MUST do it with BW.

Mike

Thank you for your offer, but having contacted intelligent life at BW I'll see if it pans out with them for now. I might yet be in touch though if the BW contact doesn't work out!

And yes I am on the Thames but the EA tells me they do not issue Gold Licences and I MUST do it with BW.

Mike

I didnt know that EA dont do them always assumed it worked both ways, in which case best to do through BW direct as although any agent can give you a receipt and they will be accepted by BW staff I think EA may not recognize them! next problem will be how long it takes BW to turn it round though

• 3 weeks later...

BW licensing has gone to pot since it went to Leeds, they never answer the phone and may take weeks to issue the licence, cant see how it can get worse when volunteers take over.

I sent my renewal form to Leeds on Tuesday and my Licence arrived today (Saturday). Can't complain at that!

Many thanks for those numbers.

I just got through to a very helpful chap on the first number. He is going to get me a duplicate Gold renewal form sent in the post today, or confirm to me later that I can print and use the initial Gold Licence application form from the Waterscape website without triggering a ton of complications due to duplication of application on the system.

He also was able to confirm my Gold cannot be renewed on line and it MUST be done with cheques and paper forms through the post.

Mike

Mike

What do I do if I want to buy a Gold Licence then - my bank no longer issues cheque books. (Which is proving a right bloody nuisance)

Tried numerous times over seven days using the numbers supplied on the CWDF with same result. Always very busy.

Last Monday my wife (trying to help) picked up the phone, dialled the number and was answered straight away.

Got my new licence today.

Must be a 'woman' thing. :glare:

John Hinch