Mobile phone question

Chalky

Featured Posts

After the recent activity on the forum I'm looking at building a tracker based on a GSM mobile phone core and I have a couple of questions.

Does the phone have to transmit (be in a call) to be tracked or just turned on?

Are there any non subscription mobile tracker services that actually work i.e. "can you tell me where phone number nnnn is?"

If a large piece of property went missing (read boat) but has an active GSM unit fitted would the police be able to track it?

A GSM alarm is quite straight forward, its adding tracker functionality that's more interesting.

I vaguely recall a detailed thread some while ago on this subject.

Can't remember too much of the detail but I think someone mentioned the problem of making sure the phone was placed in a position within the boat where it could be reliably tracked, given the fact that it was inside a metal boat, probably buried so that it couldn't be easily found.

The phone would need to be connected to a power supply that is permanently available although I doubt it would drain the batteries if a 12v charger/supply was used instead of a mains one.

Somewhere under the back deck, tucked out of sight and away from the weather would probably be best as it should be near to the batteries there.

Get yourself an iPhone and leave it permanently switched-on in the boat. The iPhone has GPS location tracking built into it as standard - available for you to track from any computer, other iPhone or iPad. Just don't tell my daughter about it! ;-)

Get yourself an iPhone and leave it permanently switched-on in the boat. The iPhone has GPS location tracking built into it as standard - available for you to track from any computer, other iPhone or iPad. Just don't tell my daughter about it! ;-)

Note: The iPhone needs to have a data connection to do this.

What I'm looking at is a low quiescent current so it can sit and wait until it's triggered. I currently have some hardware built (based on a pic and a samsung gsm phone) that will fire off a text message when it's triggered and I'm just starting to write the code to drive it. I'm aiming for less than 5ma total current draw. GPS cores are fairly power hungry and would require a different phone interface to the one I'm using. Also the unit is built from bits in the junk bin to keep the cost down. I'm investigating companies that claim to be able to track a phone by triangulating the gps transmitter using the existing cell data. Anyone had any experience of using one of these services?

What I'm looking at is a low quiescent current so it can sit and wait until it's triggered. I currently have some hardware built (based on a pic and a samsung gsm phone) that will fire off a text message when it's triggered and I'm just starting to write the code to drive it. I'm aiming for less than 5ma total current draw. GPS cores are fairly power hungry and would require a different phone interface to the one I'm using. Also the unit is built from bits in the junk bin to keep the cost down. I'm investigating companies that claim to be able to track a phone by triangulating the gps transmitter using the existing cell data. Anyone had any experience of using one of these services?

Triangulated cell tracking by its very nature is not very accurate & is generally only used to give approx position (+/- 500 mtrs or greater) - usually used to kickstart assisted GPS (aGPS). GPS signals come from a network of satellites although cell towers re-transmit local GPS almanac data, again for the benefit of aGPS.

Bottom line - if you want accuracy you need a GPS receiver.

I use Aspicore GSM tracker on my Symbian phone. It has auto-configure to the free GpsGate.com server although you do have to register first.

Below is the result of a tracked bike ride.

Map.jpg

Aspicore was set to update position to server automatically every minute.

That is crap.

OK, it has the Trent on it, but the Ouse is all out of shape and coming the wrong way.

Tone

Since it's going to be used on the boat I need to know roughly where it is i.e. has it moved north or south from where I left it. Provided its still in the water this is enough info. If we'd have known which way the boat had gone 2 weeks ago after it had left the 2 Boats we'd have found it quicker.

The gps on my phone put me the wrong side of the Thames.

Sue

Which do you think is at fault, the billion dollar GPS system driven by atomic clocks giving accuracy with 3 metres or your phone? :closedeyes:

Edited by richardhula