Doggy Bl**ding do

boatyboy

Featured Posts

To avoid letting your dog foul the towpath why not train it to hang its backside over the water and s**t directly into the cut, no mess to clear up.

(as I witnssed a couple of years ago on the GU near Leamington).

If you want to suggest that as a solution maybe you would volunteer to clear my prop whenever I need to use the weed hatch?

Or maybe you reckon all boats should have sea toilets? .......... out of sight, out of mind? ....... I don't think so.

Have to say, I have some sympathy with this. I can see the need to pick up dog crap where it is on a pavement, (tow)path, playing field etc, but not automatically on principle wherever it is.

I grew up on a farm which was used by plenty of dog-walkers, but dog poo was never much of a problem - probably because the dogs had the option to go somewhere other than the pathways. My dad's labrador had a very pained expression on his face the one time I took him for a walk in town and he couldn't find anywhere suitable to shit - he ended up squatting on top of a sapling in desperation.

There are plenty of places where picking it up is clearly the right thing to do, and I don't disagree with the rules in these areas - but blindly extending the principle regardless of circumstances is silly.

I'm glad someone can see sense! :lol:

:angry: Oh trust me I find it :angry:

spent last 2 days collecting dead wood for the nexts weeks worth of heat.

Guess where the dead wood is????

:angry::angry::angry:

I think that is an extreme example to be honest!

If you want to suggest that as a solution maybe you would volunteer to clear my prop whenever I need to use the weed hatch?

Or maybe you reckon all boats should have sea toilets? .......... out of sight, out of mind? ....... I don't think so.

I don't often pick up off the towpath. I flick it in to the cut.

It is biodegradable. In most cases it will sink to the bottom, and the fish will eat it.

In all my years of clearing props I have never found dog shit on the blades, except when it was still in a bag.

Tone

Yes, it is, and your post contains nothing in the way of common sense.

In fact your post amounts to nothing more than "I don't want to pick it up, so I will make a excuse not to"

Dave I do pick up dog shit when the need arises. The trick is not to put yourself or your dog into a position that it is necessary. In fact I have been known to dispatch other dogs deposits to prevent others treading in it.;)

I don't often pick up off the towpath. I flick it in to the cut.

It is biodegradable. In most cases it will sink to the bottom, and the fish will eat it.

In all my years of clearing props I have never found dog shit on the blades, except when it was still in a bag.

Tone

Or down the bank if the towpath is elevated.

Fantastic! What a clincher! Boy, the number of problems that solves. Why spend billions in a recession mucking about with sewage treatment when we could just truck it all out to the wood and no one would ever notice in amoungst all the wildlifes crap. Makes you wonder why no one ever thought of it before when we're walking around knee deep in it.

What a stupid statement to make! Completely over the top. Anybody would think that were drowning in the stuff :help:

Edited by bag 'o' bones

In fact I have been known to dispatch other dogs deposits to prevent others treading in it.;)

A daily chore for me.... and I dont own a dog. Still its better than treading it through ya boat :(

Surprising how many think human sh!t is bad for the cut yet dog sh!t isnt :banghead::wacko:

:) I've seen loads of people catching cray fish to :sick: eat

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

I always clean up after my dogs, and also clean up after all the other dog walkers have let their dogs do their mess wherever we are moored as I do not want to walk dog poo into the boat.

Unfortunately it is not just people in the towns and villages that leave their dog mess, it is also prevalent amongst a lot of boaters with dogs who just let their dogs out to do their business and leave whatever they do on the towpath.

I know of one particular boat owner I could name and shame as, on mooring in a certain spot recently, I picked up quite a lot from outside this particular boat who had two dogs aboard, only to have the mess accumulate during the week of our stay - needless to say I gave up clearing up around their boat as I have my own dogs to clear up after, without having to clear up their dogs' mess.

Dave I do pick up dog shit when the need arises. The trick is not to put yourself or your dog into a position that it is necessary. In fact I have been known to dispatch other dogs deposits to prevent others treading in it.;)

What a stupid statement to make! Completely over the top. Anybody would think that were drowning in the stuff :help:

The towpath by my moorings is elavated "burscough village" and last year the council contractors who mow the grass on the downward bank were threatening to halt any future care of the bank because so much dog crap was getting thrown around as the mowed the grass , people who did not want to walk in the muck themselves on the towpath as well as the filthy dog owners were flicking it down the bank into the grass , out of sight out of mind i suppose was the way they were thinking , in fact for some such as the contractors it is the opposite.

Also worth bearing in mind that chucking it in the bushes or undergrowth "so people don't tread in it" ignores one important factor, children. Children are a very common wildlife species that tends to burrow into bushes which they inhabit in "dens".

Either clean it up properly or accept that you don't have the required commitment to keep a dog and don't.

There is an area of woodland near my home where I take the cuckoo baby for a run and it is plastered, absolutely plastered in dogshit. Nothing to be found from the foxes, badgers and small mammals that inhabit the area, just piles and piles of dogshit everywhere you look. There are several areas of beach in the area where dogs are banned for this reason and these areas expand yearly. I would really like to add this woodland to the banned list.

Today we cast off from Audlem. It was a lovely sunny but chilly morning and every thing was right with the world.I spoke to soon,as someone just had to spoil it.A man and woman were walking towards us with a Spanial dog.It was about 50 yards ahead of them. It crouched down right in the centre of the tow path and dumped a steaming heap for all to see.Yes it was steaming!! :angry: I waited until the couple "stepped" over the heap before i said the following.Excuse me,are you going to clean up after your Dog? 'No' he said.Well it would be nice if you did i replied.I was not ready for what came back from him.He let fly back with F*ck off!! and get back to you nice little house in the city you t*sser,this is the country side,and i ain't cleaning up no sh*t.I was nearly off the boat!!

I'm not from the city i used to be a farm worker.

Just to top the day off.Near to Nantwich a middle aged woman was walking her dog.It decided to crap on the path right in front of her.She stepped over it and carried on walking.Once again i pointed out that her dog had 'pooed' and would she clean it up please.Her answer was."But i've not got anything to pick it up with".I nearly shouted Uses your efin hanky then.The wife told me that i should try to ignore it.But i can't as it infuriates me so much.

I know that it only takes a few ignorant bastards to spoil the scenery,as most people clear up after the dog.

OK now bags of beer cans in the hedge..................no i'm not going there :angry::angry:

Dave

We got the 'nothing to collect it from one woman followed by 'have you got a bag'. As we were coming under a bridge we gave her an empty bread wrapper. She collected the poo and hung the bag on the hedge for all to admire.

Locally there is obvious a 'hanging the poo bags' movement as one tree by the road a few yards from the canal is adorned with poo bags hung like christmas ornaments. It is known locally as the poo tree and is between the canal and the council estate. Back on the canal there was a poo bin at the next bridge (not the one used by local dog walkers) but it got taken away after a dispute by BW and the council. It seems BW put it up and expected the council to empty it - the council said they would if BW paid for the service. Before you critisise the council they are paying BW a good amount of money under a contract for them to maintain the towpath to a certain standard and no doubt feel that they pay enough and if BW require the council to share in the cost of keeping the path pretty, given the little they do for their money then BW should pay the council for their services (as in collecting poo and replenishing the free bag supply - as other users have too to get their rubbish taken away.

The full bins are just from the 10% who do pick up. There are just soooooooo many dogs in the UK it would take the large wheelie bins to deal the amount of it all if the owners all picked up.

The fine should be double for leaving the runny ones!!! £2k!

In the 100 years ago bits in our paper it had an acticle about dog ownership. In that area - which takes in most of the countryside and towns north of Wolverhampton few people owned a dog if they had not got a garden to let it out in. Now they will stick a dog in a very small flat as it is company. As for walking the dog by a canal most would not go near one but prefered safe and clean places. How time change things.

We came up from Leeds last week. Moored ar Kildwick one night - it must be the dog s**t capital of the country, not just the towpath but all around the churchyard and cemetery too. At Skipton now, almost as bad.

I think it's about time we had a dog shit area in the forum purely dedicated to people moaning about dog shit on towpaths.

Of course it's disgusting - end of.

While we are on we can have a fisherman (miserable bastards) and cyliist (speeding tossers) too.

Fat fingers on a iPhone edit.

Edited by MJG

I think it's about time we had a dog shit area in the forum purely dedicated to people moaning about dog shit on towpaths.

Of course it's disgusting - end of.

While we are on we can have a fisherman (miserable bastards) and cyliist (speeding toasted) area too.

Can we have a CC bashing area too?

Tone

Ah, so that's it.

The classic "well, it's only a little bit of dog shit, we aren't drowning in it"

The only reason that we aren't drowning in it is that most people aren't selfish enough to decide to exempt themselves from the requirement to pick up.

Can we have a CC bashing area too?

Or a ....

Nah, the moderators would only tell me off.

:banghead:

Dave, (or anyone else who like getting on their high horse) Just to clarify the 'rules' seens that your so fond of them. ;) Note the word 'designated land'

These Acts require the owner to clear up immediately after his or her dog, should it foul 'designated land'. Individual local authorities use them as a basis to create bylaws (which allow for instant fixed-penalty fines) and nominate the designated areas in the appropriate borough. The fines start at around £40, rising to £1,000 - the maximum amount that can be issued in a courtroom.

Designated areas are usually places where dog faeces is likely to cause a health hazard to people. These include children's play parks, public greens and parks, residential areas, cycle paths and walkways to name a few. Some borough councils employ dog wardens to patrol these areas and catch irresponsible dog owners failing to clean up.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3116684

I rest my case.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

But the pony poo collected means the rhubarb grows lovely.

Going back to areas that we call dogshit alley one we know has a better class of dog walker as they all seem to have two large free range dogs each. Needless to say this lot never pick up their dogs dos but at least big doggies have long walkies so their contributions are spread very thinly given the shit to do to miles ratios. Its small dogs and person who drive them to the walkies place in cars who seem to produce more stuff though some places (like Berko) seem to have whole lengths that stink of dog wee as a sort of warning to those who walk the towpath with eyes not looking down.

Even in the middle of nowhere there seem to be dog walkers around who must come by car or walk miles from distant villages.

But getting equally annoying when you are in the country away from it all are those walkers who must use their phones none stop and decid, as reception is good right by our moored boat, that they must stop and yell a conversation to some irk while their doggy wanders around looking for something to do.

Often this leads to doggy wandering off and phone man spending the next hour wandering up and down yelling the dogs name in the hope that doggy (who is probably home by the fire) will climb through a hedge to return to master.

One of these kept returning to our boat and yelling for a number of hours. Next day we asked a similar looking chap if he knew about the dog to be told that it was back home and it always does. Still it left us a payment which in all his ups and downs chummy walked in a number of times.

I've never seen a bicycle riding dog exerciser carrying their trophy bag of do-dos, but perhaps that's because they always seem to be a long way infront of the dog and don't see it perform? :rolleyes:

Who's responsibility is it to provide bins or signs saying 'take your poo home with you' on the tow paths.Our Marina is littered with the stuff............

You can do a bit , PRINT AND DISPLAY laminate some and the mesdogfouling0001.jpgsage will last longer.

Edited by gaggle