Old Line

Djuwenda

Featured Posts

Does anybody have or know where one can find a google map overlay of the old pre 1870 canal lines?

I am most curious aout the Northern Oxford.

Any info welcome

Ordnance Survey maps are avilable online covering the period from 1805 - 1869 HERE.

You might have to drag the map a long way to your chosen location, and I have not explored the site as such. Might be more goodies within.

From the link, select the top most from the left hand frame.

Derek

PS Not sure about Google overlays!

Edited by Derek R.

The good thing about the North Oxford is that most of it is rural, and if you do Google-Satellite view, you can see most of the old line (pre-straightening)anyway.

I thought there was a thread about this about two months ago, I recall something about the fishing lakes just south of Braunston.

I have a lot of problems trying to use search on here so will leave it to someone else :blush:

If you are passing through the Locks at Hillmorton, pop into Badseys Bistro and on the wall you can see the original 1828 map drawn by canal Engineer Charles Reynolds, showing the old line (current at that time) and the new line of the North Oxford Canal that he proposed.

"Wheres the path" linky has the OS map and a sateleite image side by side.

You can zoom either, and toggle between modern and old OS maps.

I use it to trcae old rail lines, but I bet it has old canal routes as well.

Well worth £10 a year donation.

Edited by jake_crew

"Wheres the path" linky has the OS map and a sateleite image side by side.

You can zoom either, and toggle between modern and old OS maps.

I use it to trcae old rail lines, but I bet it has old canal routes as well.

Well worth £10 a year donation.

Did you mean http://wtp2.appspot.com/

Whilst not a map, Bradshaw's guide to Canals is also online and carries details of lengths. Published 1832. The 'Map' appears as a fold out, that would indeed be of interest.

Edited to add: Google for Bradshaw's maps canal, and it would seem they are available.

Example: http://www.canalmaps.net/A702.htm But more for sale - do check what it actually is before committing to a purchase.

Edited by Derek R.