Remote Monitoring

Biggles

Featured Posts

I have asked before but the thread only went via X10 stuff. Sure X10 is the answer if you are running on 240v but I really don't want to leave the inverter on for obvious reasons.

There has to be stuff out there for boat owners that want to keep an eye on things and have the boat sent reports on things like tampering, movement, bilge pump firing up etc.

So I ask again, anyone know of such systems?

Biggles

Our new NB has empirbus, primarily used for being able to cleverly control 12v dc stuff (eg putting on the internal lights when you put on the tunnel light, delayed lights off on leaving boat, inbuilt light dimming) but it also is designed to support PIR alarms etc and can lock out the system when the alarm is activated if you so programme it. You can buy a GSM (mobile phone) modem to go with it, but its very expensive. We will use this one which is cheap and seems to work OK - the boat needs to be in cover of mobile phone signal of course. It has 8 digital inputs and outputs and 4 analog inputs (eg to report battery voltage, temperature etc) it can be programmed to send text messages to your phone when events are triggered (such as burglar alarm triggere, low battery voltage etc) and you can text the boat telling it to put the central heating on or whatever. You can even phone the boat and talk to it if you wish, though I doubt you would get much interesting conversation from it :rolleyes:

I have to say its probably not for someone without a bit of electronic design knowledge, though the folk that sell Empirbus in UK (Atlantis Marine Power) will configure the system for you if you wish.

Nick

ps seem to recall posting all this before - perhaps you didn't like it first time around?

Edited by nicknorman

Our new NB has empirbus, primarily used for being able to cleverly control 12v dc stuff (eg putting on the internal lights when you put on the tunnel light, delayed lights off on leaving boat, inbuilt light dimming) but it also is designed to support PIR alarms etc and can lock out the system when the alarm is activated if you so programme it.

I'd be interested to know the ballpark cost of an empiribus system?

I'd be interested to know the ballpark cost of an empiribus system?

Its a modular system so you order what you need. We used 3 nodes with 2 x 8 inputs and 2 x 8 outputs per node, (3 out and 1 in for one of the nodes), we had a membrane keypad for the engine room, and the dongle you need to interface a PC to the system for programming (which is rather expensive and you would only need that if you intend to programme it yourself). Total came to a little under £2000 in 2010.

You save on needing a dc distribution board / fuses / circuit breakers / switches for eg fridge and water pump, and less wiring if you keep the same complexity of services. We ended up having each pair of recessed overhead lights on a separate ciruit (so that we can only have on what we need to save power) so we had lots of wiring! So you don't save that much to subtract from the £2k and I couldn't recommend it on purely financial grounds. What you do get is masses of functionality and convenience such as:

Fuse rating for each circuit are specified in the programming, they are of course electronic fuses so when one trips, you just fix the fault and then press a fuse reset button. Or maybe change the fuse rating in the programming!

Control of multiple circuits from one button with different time delayed on, delayed off etc, eg we have a "go to pub" button at the front door which switches off all the internal lights except one set of overhead LED lights, turns on the welldeck lights for 3 minutes (to allow you to lock boat and walk away).

PWM dimming of lighting circuits

Easy interfacing of keyfob remote and/or GSM remote (staggering back from pub down black towpath, click keyfob remote and welldeck and some internal lights come on)

Not for the traditionalists but a very flexible system!

Nick

Edited by nicknorman