Scared Whitless !!!!

Rustykev

Featured Posts

Well, work have offered SWMBO and I redundancy, which means we now have the option of living on board Leo for a considerable part of the year.

Do we take it?? - Yes, of course, its a good offer.

Are we ready to do it?? - mentally yes, but practically nope.

Are we scared Whitless??? - You bet we are....

Thank you all for your comments...

SO thats a "Yes" vote then.

Good. S'pose we'll do it then.

Now, how do we sort out ageing parents, young adult kids launching themselves into the world and still reliant on Mum and Dads home, how long can we keep this home, how, what, which, when.............

Now, how do we sort out ageing parents, young adult kids launching themselves into the world and still reliant on Mum and Dads home, how long can we keep this home, how, what, which, when.............

I can't help with ageing parents, mine died. Young adult kids, we put lodgers in the house with them, which paid the house expenses. The girls were very responsible and the whole thing worked lovely. We have kept the house for over 20yrs whilst boating and have this asset still.

Sue

I can't help with ageing parents, mine died. Young adult kids, we put lodgers in the house with them, which paid the house expenses. The girls were very responsible and the whole thing worked lovely. We have kept the house for over 20yrs whilst boating and have this asset still.

Sue

Very sensible advice.

Well, work have offered SWMBO and I redundancy, which means we now have the option of living on board Leo for a considerable part of the year.

Grab it while you can!!!!

The thought of the reality is the scary bit. GO 4 IT. We found that once we had bitten the bullet, life could go on without the hassle of work and not only could we make ends meet and they overlap a bit! Still managing to deal with aged parent and grown up? children. Life ain't a rehearsal so go for it while your minds and bodies are able. Good luck and enjoy. :cheers:

Flog it all,say you will visit and sail away. Women are born with a sackload of guilt, throw it overboard.

If you love boating, and want to do it then go for it and take the opportunity.

Most posters on this thread say it'll be wonderful, and would love to do the same.

Personally i'd hate it. When Richard was made redundant a few years ago my contingency plan was to sell the boat at soon as we couldn't afford the mortgage and living, anything to keep the house. To me havinf to move onto the boat would have felt like being homeless.

I would hate living aboard, I don't like the fact that when it's wet outside it's hard to keep the floors dry and mud gets everywhere. I don't like the lack of space, and the fact I couldn't leave my 2 sewing machines set up as I do at home. But mostly I would hate having to give up 90% of my stuff, and not being able to have parties and lots of friends round.

I'd say go for it if it's the life for you, but I would find a way to keep the house, at least in the short term, so if life did throw something else at you you have options (I'm a cautious person).

"Flog it all,say you will visit and sail away. Women are born with a sackload of guilt, throw it overboard."

I don't agree that wanting to consider parents and children involves quilt, and I know if I ignored them (no parents to consider now, I wish there were) it would spoil my new life. You have to do what's right for you and your circumstances, and what you feel comfortable with.

Practical problems can be solved with a bit of creative planning usually, so go with what works for you.

Good luck in your new life.

Sue

Most posters on this thread say it'll be wonderful, and would love to do the same.

Personally i'd hate it. When Richard was made redundant a few years ago my contingency plan was to sell the boat at soon as we couldn't afford the mortgage and living, anything to keep the house. To me havinf to move onto the boat would have felt like being homeless.

I would hate living aboard, I don't like the fact that when it's wet outside it's hard to keep the floors dry and mud gets everywhere. I don't like the lack of space, and the fact I couldn't leave my 2 sewing machines set up as I do at home. But mostly I would hate having to give up 90% of my stuff, and not being able to have parties and lots of friends round.

I'd say go for it if it's the life for you, but I would find a way to keep the house, at least in the short term, so if life did throw something else at you you have options (I'm a cautious person).

"Flog it all,say you will visit and sail away. Women are born with a sackload of guilt, throw it overboard."

I don't agree that wanting to consider parents and children involves quilt, and I know if I ignored them (no parents to consider now, I wish there were) it would spoil my new life. You have to do what's right for you and your circumstances, and what you feel comfortable with.

Practical problems can be solved with a bit of creative planning usually, so go with what works for you.

Sue

Sue. that is a very honest and erudite reply. Thank you. It reminds us that boaters don't HAVE to be the hardy, come what may, type. There is still a place on the cut for those who only like boating in good weather, and that's fine by me.

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

Sue

I'd agree. I have no desire to live aboard. There will be plenty of those who do so and will say "Come on in the water's warm" but living in a confined space, struggling to get water in the winter, emptying toilets in the ice, worrying about power requirements, struggling with communications, suffering depreciation on my home etc. does not appeal to me at all.

I certainly wouldn't consider selling the house to live on a boat.

If I could live on the boat for six months of the year and in the house for the winter then I might consider that but for me boating is a leisure activity, not a lifestyle.

Well, as ever, your replies provide a balanced view on proceedings. Thank you all. We still have not decided which is best, liveaboard totally or 70/30 etc, but don't get us wrong, we will keep some bricks and mortar.

I have 9 years until I can draw a pension. If it all works (a big if) we will end up at age 60, broke, but still with Leo,a retirement house and a huge bundle of memories of what we hope is every mile of the network.

Yes, the space is small and it can get muddy outside - we fully understand and respect other boating views. But we think it is something we will chance (and with a pump-out loo).

So,watch this space

It all depends what you want to do! We've been live aboard continuous cruisers for 7 years now and it all works fine - but you must both want to do it. That's the key to the whole thing.

If it's raining - we don't travel. If it's a weekend - we try not to travel! Just suit yourselves.

We visit ageing parent as often as poss, ring regularly, send postcards (mum's not on the internet), our daughter keeps on coming to visit and brings new grandson - so it's all possible!

Enjoy!!!

We would certainly agree with the other comments on this thread. Life is not a rehearsal, you are only here once!

We made the choice three years ago and have never regretted it. My wife's health is not good

but our boating life definitely eases her problems. We also have my 83 year old mum who is very independent and two children (in their twenties) to consider.

When my father was still alive, both he and mum emigrated to Spain for a better life. They went with our blessing and admiration. Not once did we ever believe that they had deserted us simply to enjoy a better standard of living. My mum equally admires us for making the same decision to escape from the rat race. Do it without regret or any thoughts of guilt, you will wonder what you were missing in all of the previous years.

Mike & Chrissie

P.S. Our dog loves it too!