Narrowboat centre line

Minos

Featured Posts

Doesn't seem to be, but I would advise that having a fixed loop will mean if the boat gets hung up somehow you may not be able to pull the rope off the bollard. Using a canal man's hitch will always allow this, may save you or your boat, and only takes seconds to put on or off.

Mike

As a matter of interest - is a "canal man's hitch" the same as a "lighterman's back mooring hitch"?

As a matter of interest - is a "canal man's hitch" the same as a "lighterman's back mooring hitch"?

Yes, probably though I've only heard it called a "lighterman's hitch". It's basically a knot that can be untied when the rope is tight:

Actually I think I invented the term "canalman's hitch", it should be "boatman's hitch".

Mike

That is one hell of a dangerous lump of scaffold pole with all those sharp edges!

Good knot though. I use similar, but with one bight over the bollard, and then wrap the loose end round and round the bollard and tuck it in. That won't shift in a hurry either.

Tone

Waiting for a BW trained Hire boat crew to bring their boat up in a wide T&M lock the wife realises the boat is listing ever more.

It turns out that BW experts told the crew to use the centre line for coming up in locks but did not specify how it should not be tied up tight and left when the roof of the boat is level with the lock edge on entry and a number of feet above it when lock is full.

Rather than explain to the oblivious to the danger crew the wife, realising that the four foot line was tipping the boat right over, yelled for the hire crew to 'drop the paddles' as she ran to the other end and opened both bottom paddles. Needless to say they had no clue what a paddle was but her action gave the wife enough time to get back up the top end and close the top paddles before fending off the advancing rather irate crew who seemed to think the tipping was her fault.

After a long explaination they finally got the idea of how close they were to damaging the boat though, like many first timers we gained the impression that they still didn't realise how terminal tieing that rope up as they said they had been instructed could have been to granny and co sunbathing on the boat.

I think the OP was about not using the centre line only for long term mooring, although the BW instruction does not make this clear.

Tone

To clarify, my OP was duly noting the BW advice never to moor with the centre line, and asking what it was for. The ensuing discussion has been entertaining and almost informative.

I have to say that given the apparent risks and my intention to invest a lot of money on a boat that will be my home for several decades, I will probably follow the BW advice and only use the centre line for manoeuvering the boat from the towpath.

I wouldn't dream of making negative comments on anyone else's use of the line - as long as they didn't do it with my boat.

To clarify, my OP was duly noting the BW advice never to moor with the centre line, and asking what it was for. The ensuing discussion has been entertaining and almost informative.

I have to say that given the apparent risks and my intention to invest a lot of money on a boat that will be my home for several decades, I will probably follow the BW advice and only use the centre line for manoeuvering the boat from the towpath.

I wouldn't dream of making negative comments on anyone else's use of the line - as long as they didn't do it with my boat.

You have brought up an interesting question which has provoked an active discussion on the subject, which has been well worth airing. Have mentioned it in passing to BW, MCA, BSC inspector and a couple of hire boat cos rcently, and the response has been if you have got it (center line) use it. Good luck with your future ventures and cruises.

Thanks.

The thing I find most interesting is not the answer to the question, but how the discussion gives insight into the various waterways cultures.

The waterways are available to everyone, and we each carry the responsibility for our own actions when we step aboard our hire/weekend/house boat. Whether everyone accepts that appears to be moot.

No it isnt.

In your boat maybe not, but in a narrowboat, yes it is.

If you have it very loose, just as a safeguard in case one end or the other breaks loose, then I can't see a problem - it's just that most people don't do it that way - they actually make it so it takes strain as the boat moves.
This

Boat handling, but not mooring.

I was involved in a minor incident on the T&M about 2 years ago that worked out ok but could have been nasty.

Boat on the lower lock mooring, friends emptying the lock, I'm in the engine bay tighetning up the stend gland. The boat suddenly lists sharply and I think "Ok, she'll settle" but instead the list gets worse. It turns out the boat has been tied on the centre line and the water from the emptying lock has got the wrong side of the bows and forced the front end out until the line's gone taught, at which point it started pulling the boat over sideways.

Luckily I managed to get out and shout a warning to Tim and Alan who dropped the paddles sharpish. Needed a gasper after that one!

I was on the Thames this year..brought the boat into the bottom of Boulters lock...(only boat in the lock) up steps with centre line...half twist around bollard..lock keeper 'I want 2 lines on this boat !!'..so he holds centre line..I go down steps bring up stern line and half loop it on another bollard BUT without realising he has put one whole loop now on the centre line bollard. Paddles go up..boat rises...centre line 'nips' on bollard..boat rises....centre line twangs like a guitar and isn't gonna slip off...boat tips...rises...tips...!!

A lot of shouting and he drops the paddles..but not before my Ebertspacher exhaust takes in water !!..very very near !!

Beware of centre lines..and Thames lock keepers !

The previous year..I came into a Thames lock full of plastic boats...and the lock keeper said..'throw me the stern line'..my wife is on our bow ready to hook the front bollard..but the guy on the stern heaves and pulls..and the bow swings towards the other boats..'stop..stop..I say..give me some slack...'..But he carried on pulling and we hit another boat.

I told him that the science of narrowboats..but he said..' we are under instructions to rope off a boat as soon as we can'...and shrugged..

Hey lets have another hanging...yee haa...

Actually..I did my RYA course a few years back..and we came to Hillmorton locks..and the guy made me hammer in one pin and moor the boat to the centre line...

I asked if that was OK for longer term..and he said it was fine...thats what is was for..

I admit to being a complete amateur at this.

Whenever we have used a lock or tied up, I've been at the tiller (Circe will learn to steer eventually...) and once we have stopped moving either Circe or our teenager has stepped onto the towpath from the bow and tied up; I have then stepped ashore from the stern and tied up. Granted, we have always been very slow at locks - but then we've always been on holiday and not in a hurry. Plus, when you are so obviously Hopeless in a Hire Boat other people are very kind, helpful, full of tips and tricks and willing to bestow their wisdom on a willing and grateful pair of ears.

The centre line has always seemed to be so ridiculously out of reach that the only time I have used it was to replace a broken line. (My fault, that. Circe had been admitted to hospital following a complicated insect bite, teenager & I were cruising back to the hire base so we could drive to hospital and rescue her, and like a complete moron I tried to stop a twenty tonne boat with a line wrapped round a bollard... Another lesson duly learned.)

I'm sure that with experience and appropriate expertise, a correctly used centre line will enable single handed cruising. :mellow: I know my place.

If you have the end of the centre line at the end of the boat that you lock worker is stepping off it is always in reach.

As the wife is pretty fast working a lock if need be I only have to step off and take the rope off her and stand holding the centre line while she prepares the lock.

Although only really due that if there is another boat waiting, usually just drift and then go right in when the lock is ready

I always use the centre line to hold the boat while others sort locks.

When in Banbury we moored using all three lines, just as well because the young gits managed to untie bow and stern but I woke up as they were trying to untie the centre line (I usually make some very pretty patterns when I tie the centre line). Other boat was not as lucky.

BW ought to concentrate on what they do well, lose on investments and let us look after our boats, much better advice here than from them.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited to add that I have two lines running from the centre to either side of the rear hatch, saves trying to lasso across all the stuff on the roof.

Edited by NB Lola

Actually..I did my RYA course a few years back..and we came to Hillmorton locks..and the guy made me hammer in one pin and moor the boat to the centre line...

I asked if that was OK for longer term..and he said it was fine...thats what is was for..

Would that be Mr Considerate Boater? If so then say no more!