Discounted Prices

philsimo

Featured Posts

I`m going to be fitting out a new shell this year and would like to know your opinion as to whether it`s worth waiting for a boat show such as Crick to buy items?

Are prices discounted at boat shows or would i be able to get a similar deal now?

I think you might well make a mistake if you try to fit out a boat on what you can buy cheaper at Crick. You might make an impulse buy whilst under time pressure. Consider a strategy based on the following:

-You could do worse than join one of the fit-out discount schemes which most chandlers offer (ie spend £1000 then get 10-15% off for a year)

-Another tactic is to have a list of major items you need then wait for the 20% off days which Midland Chandlers have a few times per year.

-Keep your eyes peeled for good second hand stuff, particularly on here.

I have bought, sold, received and given away tools and boat items on here with satisfaction in every case.

-Most suppliers will negotiate, especially for cash.

Edited by andywatson

I would not expect additional discount from boat shows. With a decent spend the biggest chandler (Midland) ought to give you 20% off without waiting for their special 20% days. I have found a couple of smaller chandlers cant or wont give that much off. Other than that Ebay is good for picking up items and so are boat jumbles (there is a web site show where and when, and its a good day out but you might have to travel a fair distance

Charles

• Greenie 1

Really? I can't see how cash makes the slightest bit of difference, to a modern business being paid in cash is more hassle when it comes to banking.

It does make a difference by avoiding the cut that the credit card company take from the transaction.

It costs absolutely nothing to ask.

I've found it works often enough and when negotiating I try to leave no stone unturned.

Edited by andywatson

It does make a difference by avoiding the cut that the credit card company take from the transaction.

It costs absoloutely nothing to ask.

I've found it works often enough and when negotiating I try to leave no stone unturned.

I agree, credit cards and debit and cheques cost money to bank. Cash is a lot better for some business.

....especially when it goes straight into the seller's back pocket.

Of course I am just being cynical, I am sure that no trader would behave thus in real life. Unless one counts the plumber who fixed a burst pipe for us two weeks ago, or the chap from whom we buy our logs, or....

Arleigh International Ltd own Midland Chandlers and Caravan equivalents and no doubt other businnesses hence have the buying power to offer such discounts. When you know what you want I suggest you email them to say you have a spend of what ever that figure is taken from the items you need off the Midland web site and ask what discount they can offer. I would guess that they would expect a spend over £4 or 5k to be able to get 20% off

Charles

• Greenie 1

Go to PTS (not Plumb Centre) for all your plumbing stuff including Hep2O and get trade prices - about 60% off list. Set yourself up as a boat builder and get a trade card at B&Q - only 5% but useful for some bits when they have their sale days on. You could also try playing the trade customer with Midland Chandlers - I've not tried it on a personal basis, but their small trade prices are typically 20 -40% off.

I agree, credit cards and debit and cheques cost money to bank. Cash is a lot better for some business.

It 'costs' to put cash into a business account - typically 1.9% at the NatWest.

The only way around it is to put the cash / cheque etc into your personal account and then do an electronic transfer (no charge) into the business account.

The only way around it is to put the cash / cheque etc into your personal account and then do an electronic transfer (no charge) into the business account.

We were told to put it into our business savings account & then move it to the current account as the savings one dint have any charges for deposits. That was with TSB as it was. Best check if it still applies.

Quite correct. This is what I used to do.