Canal Experience

Kiwidad

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Well finally after 5 years away, we have managed to book some time for another canalboat holiday.

We are planning on a 3 week cruise of the Thames ring in June this year/

We are looking at using Canalexperience, and have tentatively booked the boat Halcyon Days.

Does anyone have any experience with this company?

Edited by Kiwidad

I'm out of touch with things, but kind of surprised how expensive it looks, unless I'm reading it wrong.

I guess it depends what kind of offer you get if you book 3 weeks, but many firms may offer a discount for such a long hiring ?

Are you worried about where on the Thames Ring you actually start and finish ?

I'm out of touch with things, but kind of surprised how expensive it looks, unless I'm reading it wrong.

I guess it depends what kind of offer you get if you book 3 weeks, but many firms may offer a discount for such a long hiring ?

Are you worried about where on the Thames Ring you actually start and finish ?

Not at all, we chose this becasue we liked the trad stern, and boat layout. Costs seem similar but as we are in NZ, all seem expensive. Always open to alternative suggestions tho!!!

Not at all, we chose this becasue we liked the trad stern, and boat layout. Costs seem similar but as we are in NZ, all seem expensive. Always open to alternative suggestions tho!!!

In which case trad stern on hire boats still relatively unusual, I think.

I'm no expert but can't think of too many places on the ring that might offer that. (Well there is "Saisons" at Whilton, but their boats are a bit more unusual I think - beds under tug decks, that kind of thing).

Not a recommendation, particularly, but for comparison family run firm Wyvern Shipping at Leighton Buzzard have been doing this for many decades, and I'm fairly sure discount quite well for a long hiring. But AFAIK, all their boats are cruiser stern, so probably not what you are after.

Union Canal Carriers at Braunston do some very chunky boats that owe a lot to working boat looks, but I think (but may be wrong) that most are semi-trads.

We may well do the ring again at Easter, but will only have 2 weeks to do it in. It's a good trip.

Hi All,

Well finally after 5 years away, we have managed to book some time for another canalboat holiday.

We are planning on a 3 week cruise of the Thames ring in June this year/

We are looking at using Canalexperience, and have tentatively booked the boat Halcyon Days.

Does anyone have any experience with this company?

Totally :smiley_offtopic: but what exactly is going on in that avatar?

• 3 weeks later...

Well we ended up deciding on Wyvern Shipping, and hive hired Foxglove.

So we start trip on 3rd June, and will be going anti clockwise, and yes, we will be flying the Silver Fern :)

Taking three weeks is a good move. You'll have plenty of time to have a look around.

I would recommend that when you get to Oxford, pop up to Lechlade. Three/four days there and back, but it will be the best part of your holiday.

Enjoy :cheers: