Lock distance markers

Bob M

Featured Posts

Hi all, bit of a silly question, as answer may be obvious but can anyone explain the working concept of lock distance markers.

I ask as many locks are on bends and therefore the markers are not visible from the lock/lock not visible from boat.

Was it a case of the first boat whose bows crossed the marker had right of way and did they give consideration to whether the

lock was set for them or against them, did arguments often arise or were they an understanding bunch!

Which canals had them on?

ta, Bob

Hi all, bit of a silly question, as answer may be obvious but can anyone explain the working concept of lock distance markers.

I ask as many locks are on bends and therefore the markers are not visible from the lock/lock not visible from boat.

Was it a case of the first boat whose bows crossed the marker had right of way and did they give consideration to whether the

lock was set for them or against them, did arguments often arise or were they an understanding bunch!

Which canals had them on?

ta, Bob

The principal was that the first boat to pass a distance post had a right to the lock, irrespective of which way it was turned. The means of signalling was for the horse leader to crack their whip, but that could be open to abuse if the post was out of sight. Presumably in later years the horn would bee sounded although I have no evidence of that being practiced. There are numerous recordings of arguements about who had a right to the lock in the past, often culminating in a fight, and that apparently included women sometimes fighting a man.

I first started on the canals in the mid 1960's, and I cannot recollect any disputes or fights for locks which may be because traffic was lighter, or because the practice had died out. The only rule applied by our skipper, who was an ex working Boatman, was that we always gave way to a working pair, even if the lock was with us and we had arrived first.

The principal was that the first boat to pass a distance post had a right to the lock, irrespective of which way it was turned. The means of signalling was for the horse leader to crack their whip, but that could be open to abuse if the post was out of sight. Presumably in later years the horn would bee sounded although I have no evidence of that being practiced. There are numerous recordings of arguements about who had a right to the lock in the past, often culminating in a fight, and that apparently included women sometimes fighting a man.

I first started on the canals in the mid 1960's, and I cannot recollect any disputes or fights for locks which may be because traffic was lighter, or because the practice had died out. The only rule applied by our skipper, who was an ex working Boatman, was that we always gave way to a working pair, even if the lock was with us and we had arrived first.

I have often wondered this point, obviously after a boat passes the marker there is not sufficient time to turn a lock before it arrives at the gates, but I would suggest that a boat coming the other way with the lock in their favour would still use it, crack or no crack, but all I have ever read is, like I have written peoples ideas. Has anyone looked back in the Grand Union Canal Company achieves to see if there was actually a regulation concerning these markers.

I had always been told that passing the distance post did not give a boat any rights to a lock that was set against it; that the rule was that it was forbidden to turn a lock around against a boat that had passed the distance post. However I have never seen any documentary proof.

This was indeed covered before, see HERE.

It is basically as David states. The interesting point is they were never likely to have been erected when the canal was built - at least certainly not the G.U. In general they are placed about 200yds before a lock, and first past gave a signal to 'secure' their lock. If both boats travelling in opposite directions reached their posts simultaneously, then chances are the amount of water in the lock would decide who went first. Possibly they were added at a later date to try and set some sort of 'rule' over who took preference after many a fistacuff session.

It was also mooted that beyond a distance post a boat from behind should not attempt to overtake one in front. In some ways it is a bit of a grey area, and for that reason the subject of more than a few arguments.

One problem I sometimes find a a single hander vs teams of organised boaters is that I will arrive at a lock , look ahead and see no-one, and then curse the last boater through who left the paddles up on the other end.

I empty/fill said lock, and just when it is almost ready, see a boat approaching and get told, that lock was set for us.

Well, yeah, how was I supposed to know that the person(s) who passed me 20 minutes ago on a bike were setting the next 20 locks in advance.........

If you look at a lot of the old photo's of when the GU was upgraded, there are very few canalside trees, hawthorn hedges etc to stop a good view of what's coming the other way, so perhaps you could see whether oncoming boats had passed their markers. Nowadays, you don't have much of a chance.

This was indeed covered before, see HERE.

I think I mentioned in that topic that you can download copies of the L&LC Byelaws from my website, http://www.mikeclarke.myzen.co.uk/Downloads.html. Maintenance boats had the greatest priority, then fly boats, with the level of the lock dictating also which boat passed first. The distance markers were not the final arbiter of who had priority, rather they marked the point at which a decision could be made based upon the byelaws.

One problem I sometimes find a a single hander vs teams of organised boaters is that I will arrive at a lock , look ahead and see no-one, and then curse the last boater through who left the paddles up on the other end.

I empty/fill said lock, and just when it is almost ready, see a boat approaching and get told, that lock was set for us.

Well, yeah, how was I supposed to know that the person(s) who passed me 20 minutes ago on a bike were setting the next 20 locks in advance.........

Bit like the buggers who cycle all the way up the Stockton flight draining the locks for the boat just coming out of the bottom lock and you sit and wait three quarters of an hour for them to work up.

I think I mentioned in that topic that you can download copies of the L&LC Byelaws from my website, http://www.mikeclarke.myzen.co.uk/Downloads.html. Maintenance boats had the greatest priority, then fly boats, with the level of the lock dictating also which boat passed first. The distance markers were not the final arbiter of who had priority, rather they marked the point at which a decision could be made based upon the byelaws.

Tried it and just got "Oops! This link appears to be broken"