What to put under ballast

Featured Posts

Am looking to put something under the stone slab ballast so water and a touch of air can run under it. Also, to stop it scratching the bilge paintwork.

What have you used to do yours? Was thinking about glueing on little rubber feet on the corners or are there any better ideas?

Thanks

Frank

Hi

If your ballast is as heavy as mine I would think that rubber feet would, eventually, crush down. I'm cutting half inch slats from some tanalised timber that I have and, very slowly because the slabs are heavy and I'm old, putting that under. Mind you my boat is 30 odd years old and it didn't have anything under the slabs when I got it and there is no rust that I have seen so far so I am not at all sure that the effort is really worth it for my boat.

Cheers

Pete

Anything you put under the slabs could be liable to move when you 'bang' into something

THink about spraying/painting the bilge with a good quality bitumastis, then laying roofing felt on it and then putting the slabs on top - a bit belt and braces but it depends how long you are thinking of keeping the boat

Anything you put under the slabs could be liable to move when you 'bang' into something

THink about spraying/painting the bilge with a good quality bitumastis, then laying roofing felt on it and then putting the slabs on top - a bit belt and braces but it depends how long you are thinking of keeping the boat

Have heard a few people do that but surely the roofing felt has the potential to trap moisture under it.

Don't put anything under it, there's no need. I've just taken my floor up after 10 years with the concrete slabs and solid steel caps sitting directly on the base plate. The base plate looked as new, was dry and even the red lead primer I had painted on it when new was still on and in good nick.

Gary.

Am looking to put something under the stone slab ballast so water and a touch of air can run under it. Also, to stop it scratching the bilge paintwork.

What have you used to do yours? Was thinking about glueing on little rubber feet on the corners or are there any better ideas?

Thanks

Frank

I use these door mats from Wilkos! http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Floor-Mats/Wilko-Mat-Door-Rubber-Scraper-60cmx40cm/invt/0204651

Cheap, will let water/air underneath and can easily be cut up...

Frankieboy, Have you had the shell built yet? If not, get four 1" angles welded longitudinally down the boat at a spacing which suits your slab sizes. Bitumastic the whole thing and the gap under the slabs will allow airflow in the bilge. In my case I also installed an Aldi heater which used bilge air to aid combustion ensuring that the bilge always stayed "fresh"

I used large size tile spacers - about half a dozen per slab.

Just to add that I Waxoyl-ed the baseplate first. The big tile spacers leave about 2mm air/water gap between base and slab which I think is enough - there's room between and around the slab sides as well.

I've liked the idea of cable offcuts as a free improvment on nothing. but large tile spacers sound even better if there large enough (say 5mm thick?) job done.

Ours is just down on the steel on the paint and its been ok, but its not amazing, and there is some rust.

Daniel

Generally bodies go under paving slabs. It's the only useful thing I ever learnt from Brookside ...

Seriously, having angles welded on is she's still in build seems sensible to me. The ballast in Cobbett is on the knees and keelson. Still needs more in the back though I note.

Mem to self more books needed in back cabin.