advice for first timers...a week out of Barton Turns in mid-March

hotpotato6

Featured Posts

We are 4 Americans (2 couples from late 50s to early 70s) planning a week long trip in mid-March on a narrow boat adventure out of Barton Turns - a first for us all. We'd appreciate any advice! There will be training about the boat before we leave the marina - this trip is through timeshare. Are there any suggested books to read or ways we can get information about possible canal routes? We assume weather will be cold and damp, so we're planning to bring clothes to layer. Thanks!

You will have a fantatsic holiday! It is best to assume cold and damp but you may well be surprised! As far as handling the boat is concerned then I would say listen to the instruction given before you leave and then DO NOT WORRY! you will make mistakes but so long as you follow those instructions you will be perfectly safe and any mistakes you do make are at a very slow speed so its unlikely that any major damage will occur. After the first few hours you will have got the basics.

I would suggest you get a copy of the relevant 'Nicholsons guide to the Waterways' for the area you intend to cruise. These guides are invaluable and in my opinion the best, showing in detail all the relevant info you may need from the siting of services such as water points to the locality of local shops and pubs and gives a brief insight into the history of some of the places you re passing through.

There are several guides available each covering a specific area in detail. Barton Turns is covered in guide 3 (Covers the Birmingham Canal Navigations, Ashby, Birmingham & Fazeley, Coventry, Erewash, Northern Stratford-upon-Avon, Grand Union (Norton Junction to Salford Junction, Leicester section and River Soar), Oxford (Braunston to Hawkesbury Junction), Staffs & Worcester (north of Autherley Junction) and Trent and Mersey (Derwent Mouth to Great Heywood) canals

Depending on your planned route you may need more than one of these guides. Others on this forum will be able to give you some idea of how far you will travel in the time you have and maybe some 'not to be missed' routes to narrow down your choice a little.

You can buy the guides at Amazon.com and do not be concerned about the cost if you do have to buy a few different guides, they will sell well on eBay after your trip if you no longer require them but I have a suspicion you will be back again for more another time!

Enjoy your adventure!

We'd appreciate any advice!

There will be training about the boat before we leave the marina

- this trip is through timeshare.

We did this, 2 week timeshare exchage, cost me a bl**dy fortune.

(Got home and had to go straight out and buy a boat of our own!)

The training is likely to be minimal. We were getting in quite a mess in our first hour out, nearly bumping into moored boats on a bend, until someone shouted to me “You can only steer under power.”

That was the single best piece of advice I was given.

Boaters are (generally) patient and tolerant, friendly and helpful to newcomers.

Just take your time, and don't try to do too much in a day.

You'll love it, but the bug will bite.

Ade.

The training is likely to be minimal. We were getting in quite a mess in our first hour out, nearly bumping into moored boats on a bend, until someone shouted to me “You can only steer under power.”

That was the single best piece of advice I was given.

Yeah, thats very true, espically some boats. :)

- So slow down plenty early for a bend, take it slow, and then if yournot quite going round, you can give it a good bit of thorotal to get the stern moving out. (and if your really not going to make it, reverse, and try again)

- Also, dont try reversing very much, its you basicaly cant steer at all then (use blips of forwards to correct as you back up)

And then i'll just echo what the other said.

- Boats bounce quite well, and if you take it slow, epecially on bends and bridges, you should be fine.

- 90% of boats are very tollerate, and forgive first timers mistakes very well. And the 10% that shout at you, shout at everyone, you got to simile, applolgise, be polite, and move on!

- And make sure you understand how a lock works before you go.

Daniel

............................. Are there any suggested books to read or ways we can get information about possible canal routes? We assume weather will be cold and damp, so we're planning to bring clothes to layer. Thanks!

'Chicken Hawk' is a good book but bu99er all to do with canals. :)

Why do Americans always assume that it will be 'cold and damp' in the UK? :)

Our weather might surprise you, it sometimes surprises us. But pack oilskins just in case.:)

Usless Information President Jefferson (3rd President of the USA) had Arab ancestors.

Not a lot of people know that. :)

Hi Hotpot'

March is a strange month over here you could get some warm spring days or we could equally well be still in the grip of a cold winter but either way I am sure you will make the best of it. Try to get hold of a suitable canal guide, as Cheshire Rose says, Nicholson's No. 3 is as good as any. If you don't manage to get one over there I am sure the boatyard will arrange to one waiting for you on the boat, there is of course as you will know stacks of info on the Internet.

Yes you will get a bit of instruction about the boat when you arrive but you will not need that much, narrowboats are big docile things and very easy to control. Whichever way you decide to go, make full use of the pubs and restaurants along the way, your guide book will list many of them.

Enjoy your holiday.

- Also, dont try reversing very much, its you basicaly cant steer at all then (use blips of forwards to correct as you back up)

Yeah, Daniel's spot on. It's amazing how many people always try and reverse. When you reverse, 9 times out of 10 you go sideways, and either your bows or stern end up on the mud and instead of trying to get out the way you make things worse.

Take it nice and slowly. Slow down when approaching locks, bridges, blind bends, junctions etc. Only use reverse when you have to stop, such as entering locks, mooring up. Don't try and steer in reverse, it's not the easiest thing to do.

I hope you have a nice time and enjoy yourselves :-)

Wow! I was very excited to log on tonight and see so many replies - thank you, thank you!! We're long time campers, primarly tent, and figured boaters would be as friendly to newbies as campers are with helpful hints and information :P.

First thing we'll do is look into the Nicholsons guides - second thing will be to print out the comments and take them with us so we'll have all the "reverse" suggestions right with us in March!

We're very much looking forward to living on a narrow boat for a week and touring around. We first saw narrow boats a few years ago in Stratford-on-Avon and my husband even assisted in opening a lock - we both agreed it looked very appealing so the idea to do it someday stuck with us and is now materializing.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome....we've met so many great folks during our trips across the pond - and anticipate another wonderful time. We figure a couple of days in the area before the narrow boat and then a hopefully a week to see some of Wales for the first time. And hey - we know the weather isn't always cold and damp - there are plenty of sunny spells mixed in!! :P

We are 4 Americans (2 couples from late 50s to early 70s) planning a week long trip in mid-March on a narrow boat adventure out of Barton Turns - a first for us all. We'd appreciate any advice! There will be training about the boat before we leave the marina - this trip is through timeshare. Are there any suggested books to read or ways we can get information about possible canal routes? We assume weather will be cold and damp, so we're planning to bring clothes to layer. Thanks!

Hi

We have a time share there and go out the 1st week in April - the boat comes with Nicholson guides and useful tips.

They also take you through a lock (No 10) just outside the marina and spend a good half hour showing you how every thing works on the boat and how to get through locks.

Having gone through the first lock you will be heading towards Burton on Trent where the first available turning point is, going that way you can probably get to River Trent and have a choice of Nottingham or Loughborough, once you get to the wide locks it is heavy going but I loved it. Or you can turn at just before Burton on Trent and head back towards Stoke and take in the Wedgewood factory, we did that our first year out. Our second year we went to Gnosley on the Shropshire Canal, this year we are planning on going along the Coventry Canel and the Atherstone Flight,

Shakespear lines have a web page with everything on it and it is really good, here is the link to Shakespeare lines http://www.timeshareboats.uki.net/location.htm . there is even a guide to the canals you can tour in a week.

Waterscape is another good site to look around, as well as the http://britishwaterways.co.uk site where there is a waterways code of practice which you can download and it gives you all the rules and regs, lock operations ect.

Clothing wise you will need a good water proof jacket and trousers, these help not only with the rain but helps keep the wind out as well, our first year it rain once over night, we had frosts overnight the second year it rained everyday and thats where the waterproofs came into their own, last year was a mix but we enjoyed them all

I know you will have a great time we did our first time out and look forward to our week every year this year is our 4th time the boats are good and the staff at Barton Turns are very good and helpful.

...And hey - we know the weather isn't always cold and damp - there are plenty of sunny spells mixed in!! :P

Hello hotpotato

As you have found out, Britain is a cold damp country - and that's just the summer. There certainly are not plenty of sunny spells mixed in, forget that. Worst of all, the occasional spells of sunshine are completely unpredictable, so much so that people find it necessary to remark to each other what a lovely day it is, which tells how rare such an occurrence takes place. The effect is that we don't really have any reliable seasons here at all. You can get a warm April and a freezing miserable July.

The older I get, and I aint no spring chicken, the more I hate the weather here. I'll never forget a holiday many years ago in Torquay, a well known resort in the county of Devon, which is supposed to be the warmer part of the country being in the south west. This was one August. It was so 'kin cold that you had to wear a coat and gloves etc. Enormous winds full of heavy rain were blasting in off the sea. The beaches were completely deserted, unsurprisingly, and it put me off British resorts for life almost.

regards

Steve

I'll never forget a holiday many years ago in Torquay, a well known resort in the county of Devon, which is supposed to be the warmer part of the country being in the south west. This was one August. It was so 'kin cold that you had to wear a coat and gloves etc.

Talk about grumpy old man...

It not that, i we go on holiday for a fortnight in salcombe every summer, and its not that bad.

- Yes it rains somtimes, and yes, if all your want to do is sunbathe, only about half the days are suitable.

- But still, i like it, rather be there than stuck in italy or somewhere thats that hot you cant do anything all day!

Canal boating is wonderfull, any time its not raining, and good fun even when its not.

But back to topic.

- If you want some more info, have a rummage aorund the site, there is for instance a whole 4/5page thread on reversing, and diffrent techniques.

Daniel

As you have found out, Britain is a cold damp country - and that's just the summer. There certainly are not plenty of sunny spells mixed in, forget that. Worst of all, the occasional spells of sunshine are completely unpredictable, so much so that people find it necessary to remark to each other what a lovely day it is, which tells how rare such an occurrence takes place. The effect is that we don't really have any reliable seasons here at all. You can get a warm April and a freezing miserable July.

Obviously a pessimist! (or maybe a realist???)

I have had a brilliant idea...... in the last 6 months I have been lucky enough to be invited to go crusising on my fella's narrowboat 6 times including a 10 day stretch during last summer that most people remember as being a washout!)

I always check the long range forecast online to decide what type of clothing I need to pack and I ALWAYS end up taking windproof, warm and waterproof stuff only to leave in languishing unused in the bottom of my holdhall while I wear something much more lightweight than you would have imagined possible. In all those trips we have only had about 3 hours rain one morning and it is usual for the sun to shine and it be unseasonally balmy.

This weekend the forecast suggested strong winds and heavy rain. It was gloriously sunny and quite delightfully warm around the middle of the day. We met a family along the tow path with two very dissapointed young girls whose Dad had promised them all week that they would get to fly the stunt kite that Santa had brought them! there was not a breath of wind to be felt!

It has been suggested that the reason for this is that I am a lucky charm and I bring the sunshine with me..... If anyone wants to hire me out to ensure good weather for their trip...... :P

Obviously a pessimist! (or maybe a realist???)

I have had a brilliant idea...... in the last 6 months I have been lucky enough to be invited to go crusising on my fella's narrowboat 6 times including a 10 day stretch during last summer that most people remember as being a washout!)

I always check the long range forecast online to decide what type of clothing I need to pack and I ALWAYS end up taking windproof, warm and waterproof stuff only to leave in languishing unused in the bottom of my holdhall while I wear something much more lightweight than you would have imagined possible. In all those trips we have only had about 3 hours rain one morning and it is usual for the sun to shine and it be unseasonally balmy.

This weekend the forecast suggested strong winds and heavy rain. It was gloriously sunny and quite delightfully warm around the middle of the day. We met a family along the tow path with two very dissapointed young girls whose Dad had promised them all week that they would get to fly the stunt kite that Santa had brought them! there was not a breath of wind to be felt!

It has been suggested that the reason for this is that I am a lucky charm and I bring the sunshine with me..... If anyone wants to hire me out to ensure good weather for their trip...... :P

Dearest new friend Cheshire Rose....

Can we convince you to join us March 17-24 on the Trent & Mersey Canal :P ?!?

We'll provide you with wonderful meals....you just supply the glorious weather!

Ruth aka hotpotato6

Ruth aka hotpotato6

Apologies for duplicate. So thrilled with the prospect of assuring fair weather got all flustered :P

Ruth aka hotpotato6

Sounds promising! :P

Maybe I had better take my waterproofs though :P

Talk about grumpy old man...

It not that, i we go on holiday for a fortnight in salcombe every summer, and its not that bad.

- Yes it rains somtimes, and yes, if all your want to do is sunbathe, only about half the days are suitable.

- But still, i like it, rather be there than stuck in italy or somewhere thats that hot you cant do anything all day!

Canal boating is wonderfull, any time its not raining, and good fun even when its not.

But back to topic.

- If you want some more info, have a rummage aorund the site, there is for instance a whole 4/5page thread on reversing, and diffrent techniques.

Daniel

Are you quite serious Daniel? No, I think you're taking the french surely. Please say you are.

You'd rather be in somewhere like Salcombe than "stuck" in Italy?! And I'm the grumpy old man?!! You sound like those atavistic English whom I thought haven't existed for decades. The types who who never want to go abroad because of the food - "foreign muck" - and as for that foreign lingo, well why can't they all speak English for gawd's sake.

I'm not questioning the joys of canalling, agreed there, that's why I'm on this site but we were discussing English weather etc. To claim, with no discernible trace of irony, that somewhere like Salcombe beats being "stuck" in Italy, stretches credulity well past breaking point. I add that I'm no beach freak and prefer to explore places I visit.

regards

Steve

Are you quite serious Daniel? No, I think you're taking the french surely. Please say you are.

If your refering to the typo's, ive just read it, and it is pritty bad :P sorry!

In the mean time, yes, im serous.

- We/I spent a week in italy, at whit, near florence (which we visted), in a villa, with a pool and feild/garden, with 3 other familys, two of which we knew already (the other been friend of friends) - Doing that whole 'talking round the pool', sun bathing, swiming, and visting dome-o's thing. [and we even had matching, custom-made, 'whitaly' bags and luggage lables!!]

- An it was ok, and im glad i went, and it was interesting to try somwhere new, and all that, BUT.

- I'd rather spend a fortnight sailing in salcombe next year, if given the choice.

Anyway, this is geting a little :P so that will do.

Daniel

I'll never forget a holiday many years ago in ... Devon, which is supposed to be the warmer part of the country being in the south west. This was one August. It was so 'kin cold that you had to wear a coat and gloves etc. Enormous winds full of heavy rain were blasting in off the sea. The beaches were completely deserted, unsurprisingly, and it put me off British resorts for life almost.

That sounds familiar.

Like the year before last, when we had 18 nights under canvas on the Isle of Wight, and it rained for 16 of 'em. That was the August when Boscastle washed into the sea and Scotland had mudslides, when we caught the tail end of 3 of them Yankees' hurricanes (only joking Hotpotato). Will never go to IoW again, and as for canvas - forget it!

Swore I'd never take main hols in the UK again, but then last year got the chance of a 2-week timeshare boat (from Anderton, through Alvechurch), and it was brilliant. A couple of dull days but only one really wet one. Funny how quickly the kids' interest in helping with the locks disappears. There were plenty of waterproofs on our hire boat, but I don't know how hire companies' inventories compare.

March can be unpredictable, but our Spring seems to be earlier each year, so there's every chance it could be a pleasant week.

Sorry Daniel, but I have to agree with Steve. I can't comment on Italy, never having been there, but I'll take Spain over Salcombe any day (though also, I have to explore, eat tapas with the locals, and keep well away from where the British tourists are). Shame they've not got a canal system.

Sorry Daniel, i'm with the others on this.

buy 1 car topable dingy, or budget a rental

drive to Med

Sail

find nice beach front bar

have a beer watching the sun go down.

get a proper pizza

Drink more beer

Then go back to Salcome.

Sounds like your problem with Italy was the nature of the holiday.

I heartily recommend the Mistral (spelling?) which is a warm wind that blows offshore in the afternoons in some parts of the south of france, i had a Lazer planing for about an hour solid.

Then i had beer, and best of all, some poor misguided french girl took a shine to me.

Edit------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistral

Wiki says the mistral is cold, but then i'm british.

Edited by fuzzyduck

Hi JollyRoger's owner :lol:

First, apologies for getting confused in posting this reply :)

We most definitely will keep a look out for you when we arrive March 17!

Received a letter today confirming the timeshare arrangement and we're told the name of the narrow boat we'll be on is Marcus. We've booked the airplane flight and made car rental arrangements. We'll drive from Heathrow and want to stay in the general vicinity of the marina for the night of March 16 - any recommendations as to where to stay? We don't need to return the car to Derby until the morning of the 17 so we're mobile as far as where to spend the night. Under discussion is Birmingham, Burton-on-Trent, Lichfield....etc. etc. My husband will drop the 3 of us off at the marina with luggage in the morning, drive to Derby and return the car and, from what we can gather since we don't know the area, we figure the best way for him to get back to the marina would be to take the train from Derby to Burton-on-Trent and then seek a taxi to get to the marina. Any other suggestions, or is this workable?

Next step is acquiring some foul weather gear!!

Greetings from NY -

Ruth