advice for first timers...a week out of Barton Turns in mid-March

hotpotato6

Featured Posts

Thanks for all the help Jolly's owner....we're going to be having a pow-pow to discuss the trip in the next week or so, so am sure will come up with some more questions! The thread about working of locks and water proof clothing is most helpful too. So glad to have happened upon this site.

Wishing everyone some blue skies!\

Ruth

....we figure the best way for him to get back to the marina would be to take the train from Derby to Burton-on-Trent and then seek a taxi to get to the marina. Any other suggestions, or is this workable?

I work in Derby but coincidentally live quite near to Barton Turns; if your timings are OK I can offer a lift - it's a Friday!

Dear ParanoidMarvin -

We've been away for a few days so just saw your post with your most generous offer....truly very kind and remarkably surprising considering you apparently consider yourself "paranoid" and would be willing transport some unknown and possibly dangerous American ( :rolleyes::angry: )!!!

Seriously, your offier is indeed most hospitable and appreciated. It is my husband who would need the ride mid-morning, not at the end of a work day, so most likely wouldn't be workable for you even on a Friday.

Ruth

• 2 weeks later...

Dear ParanoidMarvin -

We've been away for a few days so just saw your post with your most generous offer....truly very kind and remarkably surprising considering you apparently consider yourself "paranoid" and would be willing transport some unknown and possibly dangerous American ( :):D )!!!

Seriously, your offier is indeed most hospitable and appreciated. It is my husband who would need the ride mid-morning, not at the end of a work day, so most likely wouldn't be workable for you even on a Friday.

Ruth

I've PM'd you; let's just say it's repayment for kindness shown by American friends to us over the years.

To get back to the original question.

If your boat is from the Canaltime fleet, they will leave an instruction video on board for the duration of the holiday (and the means to view it) So you can refresh your memory if you think you have forgotten any of the initial instruction.

My experience of Barton Turns is that it always seem to be windy. Cross winds are a bit of a nuisance to narrow boats. If you find your self drifting/getting blown towards the sides, a prudent amount of power increase will return steerage way. But if you are going to hit anything, do your best to STOP i.e. put it into reverse! You can always start again.

Take your time and don't try to get too far, there is a lot to see.

Happy holiday

Tony :rolleyes:

ParanoidMarvin: Thanks!

Tony: Thank you for the information - good to hear about the video as well as knowing about winds we might experince at Barton Turns.

Like the name of your boat! We figure we'll be doing quite a bit of dawdling on the canal - there's so much more to see in the slower lane than the fast one :rolleyes:

First: You will be on a Shakespere boat, second: If you are a rookie you will be taken through the first lock, and last: as stated it can get quite windy in the marina, but don't worry as you won't be expected to get the boat out of the marina yourselves.

Jolly Roger is right

Shakespere's policy has always been they take you out of the marina and get you going in the right direction, before they leave you.

since last year you cannot even load the boat in the moorings, it is all done on the canal side.

This is a health and saftey issue some one fell in the water and sued, which now means the rest of us have to wait our turn before we can load up and set off.

You will have a great time dont forget to post everything after the trip.

AnnC

• 9 months later...

We too are hiring a boat from Barton Turns, coincidentally with four American friends from Maryland.

I'm looking at a circular route, down the Coventry to Fazeley Junction, down the B'ham and Fazeley to

Gas Street, through the Birmingham canals to head back up the Staffs and Worcester to Great Haywood,

then back along the Trent and Mersey to Barton Turns.

1. Is this a practical proposition for a 1 week cruise.

2. Is Fradley to Gas Street possible in a single days crusing (how may hours do people think ?)

We too are hiring a boat from Barton Turns, coincidentally with four American friends from Maryland.

I'm looking at a circular route, down the Coventry to Fazeley Junction, down the B'ham and Fazeley to

Gas Street, through the Birmingham canals to head back up the Staffs and Worcester to Great Haywood,

2. Is Fradley to Gas Street possible in a single days crusing (how may hours do people think ?)

What time of year?

Hi Cheltenham welcome to the forum as to the query whether the route is possible as usual the advice is to go here Canalplan ac (top left route planner)

You can put in all the parameters start/ finish etc and it will tell you how many hours a day you would need to travel all parameters are adjustable.

Edited by bottle

We have done this route many times from Barton and is a fairly easy weeks cruise even allowing us a day in the centre of Birmingham.

Fradley to Gas Street in 1 single day is going some. There is not much traffic out of the main season but lack of daylight hours could well defeat you. In summer the route in can very busy. We always stop overnight at Minworth as this is good (safe) overnight mooring.

Hope this helps

Edders.

Fradley to Gas Street is a bit ambitious for a single day. Looking at my notes from 2 months ago, I came down from Farmer's Bridge to Fazeley over 2 days in 11.5 hours, so adding at least another 3.5 hours to Fradley you're looking at a 15 hour day with a lot of hard work. Admittedly I was single-handed (which is of course slower) but I was going pretty well and I was going downwards which is slightly quicker so it probably cancels out. I'd say you should allow 2 days.

Allan

What time of year?

mid April.

Having looked at an old Nicholson, Fradley to Gas Street in a day doesn't look feasible and thanks for the tip about Minworth (later post). What's the section through B'ham and Wolverhampton like ? (Telford line)? Is it safe to moor overnight at the top of the Wolverhampton 21 flight ?

We have done this route many times from Barton and is a fairly easy weeks cruise even allowing us a day in the centre of Birmingham.

Fradley to Gas Street in 1 single day is going some. There is not much traffic out of the main season but lack of daylight hours could well defeat you. In summer the route in can very busy. We always stop overnight at Minworth as this is good (safe) overnight mooring.

Hope this helps

Edders.

Any tips about where to stop overnight having left Gas Street ? What's it like at the top of the Wolverhampton 21 flight ?

Hope this helps

Edders.

Sorry, had a brainstorm about where to moor overnight on the way in to Birmingham. I actually meant Curdworth.

Edders

One thing to take into account is that on the first day, if you are a first timer they will show you through the first lock, which is Barton Turns Lock.

Unfortunatly this takes you in the wrong dirrection, so you will have to go to Jannels (Shobnall Basin) before you can turn round. Depending on how busy it is it could easily add between 4 or 5 hours to the trip :banghead:

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

My wife and I also own a week time share at barton turns on Titania, also in March/April.

The first year we used it we stayed on the Trent and Mersy heading up the west link towards Stoke. We managed to get up Harecastle Tunnel (Kidsgrove) but only had time to pass throught it and then turn round just the other side to return. This route will also take you throught Stoke pasted the old potery works and Wegwood factories.

On our second trip we headed down the Coventry canal to Coventry ( where we live by the way) this route took us through formillier ground but it was completly different seeing it from the water. The country side was wounderfull and we saw things we didn't even know were there.

If I am correct, there was some one who is thinking of doing this route, if so, then take time to stop at Atherstone top lock and take a short walk into town, we stopped over night here with no problems. A little furth down at Harts Hill Yard ( bridge 32) you can moor up and take a short walk to a very large garden and out doors centre if it's raining it can make a nice brake.

This year we have exchanged last years week and are having 2 weeks (from March 22nd - 5th April) and doing a combination of the Leicester and Warwickshire rings.

BTW only just found this forum and think it's great. Keep up the good work everyone.

• 1 month later...
We did this, 2 week timeshare exchage, cost me a bl**dy fortune.

(Got home and had to go straight out and buy a boat of our own!)

The training is likely to be minimal. We were getting in quite a mess in our first hour out, nearly bumping into moored boats on a bend, until someone shouted to me “You can only steer under power.”

That was the single best piece of advice I was given.

Boaters are (generally) patient and tolerant, friendly and helpful to newcomers.

Just take your time, and don't try to do too much in a day.

You'll love it, but the bug will bite.

Ade.

I realise this is off topic, but you might find renting an unused timeshare actually cheaper than the timeshare maintenance fees plus transfer fees, in some cases.

Almost certainly cheaper than a hire company and usually boats in middle or higher range compared for quality to comparable hire boats.

I realise this is off topic, but you might find renting an unused timeshare actually cheaper than the timeshare maintenance fees plus transfer fees, in some cases.

Almost certainly cheaper than a hire company and usually boats in middle or higher range compared for quality to comparable hire boats.

We came upon this by chance, Mrs. Mole went online to check availability for school summer holidays, expecting to find nothing, and was amazed to find a narrowboat. Someone must have just banked their time.

It was within our own Group, so no transfer fee. Related to maintenance fees I guess those two weeks cost us £1,200 (but our maintenance fees are paid monthly by direct debit so we never had to find a chunk of money in one go).

It was a Sunterra boat, operated by Alvechurch, and a similar nearly-new 66-footer for those two weeks would have cost us £2,700.

We are 4 Americans (2 couples from late 50s to early 70s) planning a week long trip in mid-March on a narrow boat adventure out of Barton Turns - a first for us all. We'd appreciate any advice! There will be training about the boat before we leave the marina - this trip is through timeshare. Are there any suggested books to read or ways we can get information about possible canal routes? We assume weather will be cold and damp, so we're planning to bring clothes to layer. Thanks!

We own a few timeshare weeks out of Barton Turns. The staff are helpful - take the time to talk to them, they are your best immeadiate source of information, though getting to the marina early and generally chatting with the boat owners is also a good idea. Generally people are friendly and happy to give advice.

You should be able to do the Black Country Ring in a week, which we always enjoy. Gas Street Basin in the centre of Birminham is also to be recommended, especially useful for the markets ( about 20min walk ) which my wife comming from these parts would not let us miss. We have often spent a night at Gas Street Basin and had no problems, though some might have reservations as it is a bit close to nightclubs...

...looking at the date this comes too late - hope you have/had a good time

• 3 weeks later...
We are 4 Americans (2 couples from late 50s to early 70s) planning a week long trip in mid-March on a narrow boat adventure out of Barton Turns - a first for us all. We'd appreciate any advice! There will be training about the boat before we leave the marina - this trip is through timeshare. Are there any suggested books to read or ways we can get information about possible canal routes? We assume weather will be cold and damp, so we're planning to bring clothes to layer. Thanks!

How did you get on ?