moorings?

Peeps

Featured Posts

Sorry, I meant to say residential.

I have sold my home but I cannot find a residential mooring, so looks like my dream is not going to happen :(

I don't know that area very well, so I can't help with the details.

However one thing worth knowing is that true residential moorings are very rare, mainly becuase of stupid planning permission issues. However many places will allow boaters to stay most of the time, or turn a blind eye, or whatever. The trick is to mention this in a roundabout way without mentioning the "R" word and see what sort of reaction you get. You'll also still need a postal address elsewhere as you won't be able to declare your boat as your official 'home' location in such circumstances.

Also beware that as you will be reliant on the goodwill of the site owner you need to find someone you can really trust. Some places think they have you over a barrel, even though by declaring your status they'd also be shooting themselves in the foot. Ask other boaters what the atmosphere is like and how the place is run. Towpath telegraph information is essential.

Sorry, I meant to say residential.

I have sold my home but I cannot find a residential mooring, so looks like my dream is not going to happen :(

Sorry peeps but the golden rule of boat ownership is sort your mooring (whatever it's designation) first....certainly before you sell up and commit to living on a boat...but as I guess you know now I'm stating the bleedin' obvious...

Sorry peeps but the golden rule of boat ownership is sort your mooring (whatever it's designation) first....certainly before you sell up and commit to living on a boat...but as I guess you know now I'm stating the bleedin' obvious...

Try enquiring about a mooring when you don't have a boat.

It's a Catch-22 situation. In practice, you need to be prepared to CC for a year or two.

Try enquiring about a mooring when you don't have a boat.

It's a Catch-22 situation. In practice, you need to be prepared to CC for a year or two.

since when???

we sorted our mooring before we owned a boat...

I think it's only the golden rule if you need to stay near one area for work or whatever and there's not too much canal to move about in.

Peeps, I'd second the advice on looking at leisure moorings & visiting, observing & chatting to the other moorers. There are plenty of 'blind eye' marinas out there. Have PMd you a possibility.

It used to be the case that you couldn't get a BW mooring, without a boat. I'm guessing that it's changed now.

Just to be clear though our's isn't a BW mooring its in a (none BW) marina - I did bid on a couple of moorings on BW's site prior to owing a boat (knowing the length we intended buying at the time) and didn't see or note it was a condition that you had to own a boat to bid - not sure though what would have happened if we had won and it transpired we didn't have a boat...surely as long as we were happy to pay for the mooring until we got one it wouldn't have mattered - putting aside a sec that of course we might be preventing somebody who did have a boat get a mooring..

:unsure:

This months Canal Boat has a 14 page article on moorings, listing loads, so should be up to date. Could be worth risking £3.50, and it's something to read anyway.

We did get our mooring before the boat, can't remember if we had found the boat and put in an offer or were just looking.

It was well before the auction system (2003), and we were able to negotiate the start date once we knew when we were getting the boat.

No help to the OP I know, but my first sentence might be.

Sue

Its like the chicken and the egg:(

Im told by moorings to buy a boat first then the boaters tell me I need a mooring first. Im just going to see what moorings are available for what size boats, then find a boat to fit :)

I could not buy a boat with out selling my house, so house now sold no mooring, sods law! I will get there!

Thank you for your advice.

One of the problems with the old 'BW Mooring Waiting List' was that many people were on the list 'just in case they decided to buy a boat'. When offered a mooring they refused it and remained at the top of the list. Seeing the many permanently unnoccupied moorings over the past five years on the (expensive) K&A, apparently many potential owners are paying for moorings but do not yet have a boat.

Alternatively, BW have no idea what moorings they have available or are already let - totally unbelievable!!!?

Whilst BW say that you have a permit to moor at a particular location but not at particular spot they are reluctant to move boats. It is relatively easy to find a 20' space; if you need 70' they will not move established moorers even if this would make hundreds of feet' available.

In particular, as I found, "A mooring cannot be transferred to the new owner". I bought a 70' boat moored above lock 64 (Church Lock) on the BW moorings at Great Bedwyn (K&A). Three years on I am still debarred from a mooring on that site because: "Sorry, that is the rule"! The mooring has been continuously unoccupied, there is room for two or three 70' boats. I then had to give up my mooring for my 33' boat - no point having a mooring for my main boat when I have none for the project boat.

If BW know that they have let moorings to people who have no boat then morally they should allow and assist subletting on a short-term basis, e.g. Winter or at least until the leesee can occupy the space with their own boat.

Alan