building a fireplace

Justin

Featured Posts

Hi all

I have had a stove delivered and i am now in the process of building a hearth and tiling. any recommendations about what tiles to use? the tile store only recommend clay or porcelain as they say ceramic will crack. anyone have any experience of this?

cheers

Justin

Edited by Justin

Not sure what tiles will withstand this amount of heat, but do put a layer of superlux or similar asbestos substitute board behind them. I don't know about others experience, but the heat build up on our fireplace can be quite alarming. The guy who did our safety certificate knows of a boat where none was used, and on removing the tiles, the plywood was quite scorched at the rear.

Most pictures of narrow boats I've seen have what look like standard wall/floor tiles on them.

I think the key point here is to make sure the distance between the walls and floor and the stove is as big as you can make it. At least 150mm all round.

Using a fire proof backing is also a good idea like stan suggested.

You may be able to get a fire surround backing panel from B&Q (the ones that look like fake marble) - they get a lot damaged as they are easy to chip/scratch. You can then just tile over this!

Stuart those panels at B&Q are not meant for real fires - apparently they wont stand the heat.

I've recently installed a new 'living flame' gas fire and the fitter told me that I had to use the proper marble surround as the others will scorch and break up. They're OK for electric fires as most of the heat from them is focused out front.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Hi Justin

I'm currently in the same process. I've used a fire board behind the tiles, you'll be able to purchase this from a local Builders Merchant, It looks very much like asbestos sheets but a little thicker. Ive attached this to the plywood lining using a gripfill adhesive and then tiled on top. The only problem I encounted was that the board isn't flexible and therefore i had to apply it in small sections to allow for the curvature of the boat. Not to sure about the type of tiles to use although my stove is a little Arrow Acorn so hopefully cracking will not be a problem!

Great name by the way!

Justin :)

Stuart those panels at B&Q are not meant for real fires - apparently they wont stand the heat.

I've recently installed a new 'living flame' gas fire and the fitter told me that I had to use the proper marble surround as the others will scorch and break up. They're OK for electric fires as most of the heat from them is focused out front.

Just thought I'd mention it.

I'll take your word for it, however I did have quite a large off cut from one that I tried to burn a few weeks ago (nov 5th!) and its still sitting in the garden now!

how about a reflective machine finish aluminium or stainless steel sheet, mounted on an insulating asbestos type board? Not very traditional I know, but a refreshing change. I believe you can buy small sheets of that type of stuff at some big B&Q storeas or at a metal warehouse.

Nicely polished stainless would throw a lot of heat back again.

And it would act like a mirror if you need to have a look 'round the back.  :)

It can be a pain to keep clean without putting swirl marks into it - even finger prints show up! The latest rage for stainless steel kitchens has shown me that!

Heres a few fire board products to keep you going...

http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/cgi-bin/f...20Fireboard.pdf

Edited by stuart

Swirl marks - that's why I suggested the 'machine finish', which is just that.

Copper sounds nice too, I suppose the same type of swirl finish can be obtained, or applied by a handyman with the right tools and a bit of care.

I'll do a trial run with a rotary tool the next time I'm home. :)

I made a polished copper stove surround for my last boat.

It didn't work, all that beautifull copper reflected what. A black stove, very disapointing. I think stainless steel would be just as bad.

Keep it light and not too reflective.

John Squeers

Edited by John Orentas

In our previous boat we had a Morso Squirrel stove and applied a hammered copper surround with a tiled hearth using ordinary ceramic tiles. Despite the fact that we were told the heat would crack them it never did. They never appeared to get too hot, well heat rises. All were still in as good as new condition when we eventually sold the boat.

how about a reflective machine finish aluminium or stainless steel sheet, mounted on an insulating asbestos type board?  Not very traditional I know, but a refreshing change.  I believe you can buy small sheets of that type of stuff at some big B&Q storeas or at a metal warehouse.

yeah, well that was we have on EA, except we used brass, which 12years later is now a nice dark colour!

- also, if your into the modern finish, B&Q have some quite nice sheets of aluminium chequer plate.

daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Popped onto neighbour's boat on Sun, to give them a flue cowl. They'd just installed a solid-fuel stove. No surround up, just some Al foil round it. I asked what he was going to do. "I'm gonna tile round it, on some mdf I got from work."

This was on a wooden boat . . .

After discussion, he is going to get some fireproof board.

• 1 year later...

I have some fireboard, and I want to tile it. I have the tiles, and the flexible tile cement stuff, what I don't know is can I tile straight onto fireboard, or do I need to treat it first?!

hello,You dont need to treat it first,just put your 'cork' cement on and leave to dry as normal.( I assume you are putting a backing on the fireboard,as it is somewhat brittle?)

yes,buy it some chocolate :lol::o:lol:

Thank you gaggle!!!! :)

hello,You dont need to treat it first,just put your 'cork' cement on and leave to dry as normal.( I assume you are putting a backing on the fireboard,as it is somewhat brittle?)

cork cement - thats the flexible stuff I persume. I have put the fireboard onto a backing.