Laptop charging from an inverter

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

It is becoming increasingly frustrating that whenevr I need to charge mt laptop while on the boat it seems to trip out the inverter when the TV is also on. we can often have the laptop on charge then put the TV on without any problem but if the TV is already on the swithcing the charger of the laptop on usually just trips the lot out ad I will need to go and reset the inverter before starting over again.

I am wondering if there is any way around this? It seems like there is just a spike when I switch the charger on that is the problem. I am typing this with the laptop on charge and James bond on the TV (they never get any less unlikely do they?)

I know all your techie people are going to ask lots of questions about what the load is of various things. I will wait and see what figures you need to know because I havent got a clue of where to even start looking. What I do know is the inverter is 1500w

I am wondering if I got a 12v charger for the laptop and installed a 12 power socket on the boat if this would solve the problem or is there any other clever way around the problem (apart from buying a larger inverter)

A 12V charger sounds like the perfect solution to me, although I'm no expert.

What make/model is your laptop? Dell do a range of "Auto/Air" adaptors for their machines, I think they are rebranded Kensington kit.

A quick and simple answer - switch the TV off for a few seconds whenever you first switch on the charger.

I'd expect a 1500 watt inverter to cope with even the pulsed load from a laptop charger (unlike my little 225 watt inverter which died this summer).

Does the laptop charger say anywhere what is its input current? Mine for example, which is a Dell, says "Input: 100-240V ~ 1.5A 50-60Hz". That of course represents 360 watts so I suppose it's not surprising that my 225 watt inverter didn't like powering it at the same time as the TV and DVD player, even though it's a pulsed, peak load and not continuous. But that's a lot less than 1500 watts.

We bought a lead from Maplins that converts 12v to the 19v the laptop needs and it works like a dream. I only used to be able to use the lappy for a couple of hours per evening, now I can have it running from 6pm until 1am if I wish. We had to buy a separate set of adaptors to get one that fitted my lappy.

Hope this helps :)

I put my glasses on and the reading lamp and disregarded the Chinese writing and there in extremely small print on the charger it says:

"input 100-240v 15 amp (1.5 amp) 50 - 60 Hz"

I guess you are right - switch the TV off before putting the PC on charge - seems so simple but .......... would YOU do it when the soaps are on? :help: I mean - hoe do you find a bit of James Bond where there is a chance of switching off for a couple of seconds without missing something completely OTT?

I am also wondering about the best way of running a laptop - I heard that it kills the battery if it is constantly run from the mains and I should remove the laptop battery when running on mains power - is there any truth in that?

Although it probably doesn't help you greatly, I'm genuinely surprised that just a TV and the laptop will trip out a 1500 watt inverter, (even allowing for the start up surge Allan has mentioned).

Although we now rarely bother with the TV, we have had no issues in the past running a TV and laptop simultaneously off a very basic 300 watt inverter, that cost only around £30, (our sole 240 volt supply when boating).

That says my laptop "bric"k does say it can draw 1.5 amps at 240 volts, so 360 watts.

Theoretically that's more than the inverter is rated, although I'm sure it is comfortable with short surges at more than that.

Tripping a 1500 watt inverter just sounds plain wrong - even at start up a TV and a laptop together should surely not be drawing over 6 amps of "mains" power.

(Sits back and awaits the gurus to tell him why he is wrong!....)

ange,

what was the Maplins part no ease,since I could do wirh one too

I've just looked on Maplins website and can't find it! I says on the unit "Auto DC power regulator adaptor, input 11-14v 15a max", and has a sliding button that allows you to choose output of between 15 and 24v.

I'll keep on looking and will post a linky if I find it

Just a query whether you are saying that the inverter cuts out or that the rcd trip operates switching the ac off. I presume the former. I had problems with a HEART inverter/charger tripping before it packed in so wondered how old or well used your inverter is. Is it feasible to power your boat from a friend's boat & inverter, or a borrowed one, to see if the same occurs?

Thanks everyone - It seems that even though James Bond has ended and I am charging (and also watching TV) it is now my internet provider that is playing silly bu**ers tonight :angry:

I have rebooted 3 times and each time I come back there is another reply or two but I have been unable to respond until now - I will hopefully be able to find a suitable "thingy" in Maplins but in the mean time I will have a browse at that thread (if Orange alows me!)

The inverter is being overloaded when the charger starts. Usually it will need reseting on the inverter before the TV will work again but sometimes the inverter kind of "blips" but does not rip out. It seems to my way of thinking that it must be a surge or spike just as it starts up that is causing it. The inverter seems to work fine at other times - it is 4 years old but the boat is only used for weekends and holidays when time allows so it is not being used constantly.

If my dongle allows I will follow the link to the other thread - thanks Ange x

I am also wondering about the best way of running a laptop - I heard that it kills the battery if it is constantly run from the mains and I should remove the laptop battery when running on mains power - is there any truth in that?

With the inverter issue, try switching the laptop on when it's only on battery, then plugging it into the mains. There is truth in the laptop batteries shouldn't be ran on mains 100% all the time, but many laptops these days require the battery if the CPU requires to be ran at full pelt as the laptop's transformer can't provide all the power so I wouldn't remove it. To not kill the battery, just run on battery every now and again and discharge / full recharge the battery about once a month (at other times use the 50% rule!)...

We run our laptops from a 12v car socket on the boat, no choice we don't have any 240 v.

Works really well for us.

I've just found this on amazon, can't remember where ours came from but they are very similar.

Laptop universal car charger

Sue

edited for spelling

Edited by Mrs Tawny Owl

Most inverters i've come across seem to have pretty generous overload ratings, for example the mastervolt one that was on my boat when I bought it is rated at 400W, but will take 800W for a couple of hours and is supposedly capable of 1000W for short periods.

Sounds to me that most likely there is surge protection built in to the inverter which doesn't like the laptop chargers start-up. Might be worth trying plugging the charger in before connecting to the laptop, see if that makes any difference? Another possibility could be the 12V wiring of the inverter - if the 12V wiring isn't up to the job, it is possible that the start-up surge combined with the TV load could cause a voltage dip on the 12V side which could upset the inverter. Bear in mind that 1500W at 12V is 125A, so it needs some pretty big cables!

In terms of 12V power adaptors I think you're looking for these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223912

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44736

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223723

Peter

I've just found this on amazon, can't remember where ours came from but they are very similar.

Laptop universal car charger

I strongly suggest that anyone considering this apparently bargain adaptor reads carefully ALL the product reviews.

The list of laptops this "universal" adaptor will not work with seems fairly extensive, as well as some other reported problems.

None of these 12 volt adaptors will work with a modern Dell, I believe, unless specifically marketed as getting around the effort that Dell have put into ensuring you can't use anybody else's power supply than their own bespoke ones.... :angry:

I strongly suggest that anyone considering this apparently bargain adaptor reads carefully ALL the product reviews.

The list of laptops this "universal" adaptor will not work with seems fairly extensive, as well as some other reported problems.

None of these 12 volt adaptors will work with a modern Dell, I believe, unless specifically marketed as getting around the effort that Dell have put into ensuring you can't use anybody else's power supply than their own bespoke ones.... :angry:

Well, if you must buy a Dell...

Slightly :smiley_offtopic:

Something Apple have deftly contrived to do too.

New Iphone 4 (as good as it is in all other respects) will not work with any third party or indeed any older genuine apple charger other than a specific genuine apple charger as made for the iPone 4.

Nice money spinner.....

As you were guys...

Thought you'd advocated Dell in the past??

Slightly :smiley_offtopic:

Something Apple have deftly contrived to do too.

New Iphone 4 (as good as it is in all other respects) will not work with any third party or indeed any older genuine apple charger other than a specific genuine apple charger as made for the iPone 4.

Nice money spinner.....

As you were guys...

Thought you'd advocated Dell in the past??

Unlikely, although if you can show where I did, I'll believe you.

Richard

Actually having followed Sue to the delights of Amazon I happened upon

This "Non Dell Dell adaptor"

Last time I tried to find something like this I couldn't, and at about £20, not worse than many of the Maplin offerings.

Does it actually overcome the clever bits that Dell have put in, and make your Dell think it really is connected to a Dell psu ?

I don't know, because it doesn't mention anything about it, or the complication Dell have provided.

But if you bought one, and it did not give full functionality, I guess you would have a good case for money back.

I might even try one, as annoyingly our small inverter is often on simply because the Dell will not currently run of 12 volts - otherwise we use very little in the way of 240 volt.

Unlikely, although if you can show where I did, I'll believe you.

Richard

I am a fairy my name is nuff....

It's way too late to master the 'dark art' that is the CWDF search engine, and of course I could be mistaken, but FWIW I think Dells are Dennis' do dah's...

It's way too late to master the 'dark art' that is the CWDF search engine, and of course I could be mistaken, but FWIW I think Dells are Dennis' do dah's...

Try selling one

Richard

my understanding of whether that's an endorsement of Dell depends on whether "do dah's" is poo or bollix!

Being silly of course, in business Dell has always been a lot of my employers' preference, but as a private buyer I've moved away from them as they tend to have a protectionism over their product that doesn't fit with a limited purse. Our Acer laptop and Samsung netbook have amply covered our needs since we've lived aboard.

:)

There's a good article about it linked in this post (clicky), the whole thread is worth a read too.

cheers,

Pete.