Atherstone

Geoffrey Hammond

Featured Posts

When I first went on the canals - as an 10 year old on a school trip - Atherstone was a highlight; I recall delighting in a town which was dominated by hats and which had the dangerous vibrancy of Watling street running through it.

In recent years, it had remained a favourite: it had a lock-keeper of character, a thriving boatbuilder of reknown, a richly positioned coal merchant and a flourish of second-hand book shops.

When I was there last week it was dismal: the lock-keeper's cottage was but a pale shadow, the coal merchant had gone, the boatbuilding was ended and two of the book shops had closed. Instead my memories are of bargain shop upon bargain shop and of youths in broadest daylight stoning the windows of a decaying canal-side factory. It seems now hardly a place worth stopping for.

I may be wrong, but has Atherstone's decline been remarkable even in a period of difficult times for many small towns?

When I first went on the canals - as an 10 year old on a school trip - Atherstone was a highlight; I recall delighting in a town which was dominated by hats and which had the dangerous vibrancy of Watling street running through it.

In recent years, it had remained a favourite: it had a lock-keeper of character, a thriving boatbuilder of reknown, a richly positioned coal merchant and a flourish of second-hand book shops.

When I was there last week it was dismal: the lock-keeper's cottage was but a pale shadow, the coal merchant had gone, the boatbuilding was ended and two of the book shops had closed. Instead my memories are of bargain shop upon bargain shop and of youths in broadest daylight stoning the windows of a decaying canal-side factory. It seems now hardly a place worth stopping for.

I may be wrong, but has Atherstone's decline been remarkable even in a period of difficult times for many small towns?

How strange that this very town should pop up in your memories tonight...

Yeah but we got Aldi, :lol:

There are only 3 charity shops there are three good book shops, great butchers, farm shop, swimming pool hardware store (a real one)hairdressers antique shops, coop, market, train station and as its only a long street in a small town thats not bad ,I think you do the town an injustice its near the canal for shopping and they have a lot of events on during the year which are free the people are friendly too

I would happily steer through mouldering piles of decay, duck stone-throwing feral youth, and bounce over supermarket trollies for a chicken and mushroom pie from the farm shop. Best I've ever had.

It's not that bad, certainly more character than where I grew up, but you really MUST try the pies.

I bought a lot of hats from the factory. The lady there got a TV or similar if she sold a lot. I used to like the butchers and the fishshop and the store near the top lock.

Now - as that lot are gone we moor 6 locks down and go shopping in the Co-op. We tried the aldi but didn't rate it. There are a good few shops along the road there so we still visit when passing.

Atherstone is cirtainly the pits now - and don't go into local pubs without expecting stares or a fight! I used to think of it as fairly good, but my view of the place has changed - and not just because someone stole my ladder there.

Mike

Atherstone is cirtainly the pits now - and don't go into local pubs without expecting stares or a fight! I used to think of it as fairly good, but my view of the place has changed - and not just because someone stole my ladder there.

Mike

Must have gone down badly since we were there in April this year - not the place I remember at all...

We used to go through there regularly when we moored at Springwood Haven - convenient for shopping and, besides the aforementioned shops, a good hardware/ ironmonger's near the canal. But that was five years ago.

Has Rothen's canalside coal wharf really closed down? It was a splendid survival, and to see it evoked a bit of what I imagine to be the atmosphere of canals in the days of commercial carrying.

Having spent some time in the area over winter and spring I can report that the consensus of the locals in a pub just outside Atherstone is that the town has fallen into a bit of a fiscal decline over the past few years and that there is propensity for outbreaks of apparently unprovoked violence in some of the hostelrys. Or as they said, 'It's a bit of a sh1thole at the moment.'

Just to let you all know that this topic has caused a little bit of consternation.

I’m the press officer/Webmaster for the Northern Warwickshire Tourism Association and was notified last week by Warwickshire County Council that some boaters were unhappy with their stay in Atherstone and were putting their comments on this excellent website.

Not having heard any negative comments like this before I was unsure what to do, as people generally seem to like Atherstone which has its own unique personality. In fact we launched our new tourism guide in early spring at the Red Lion in Long Street with Liz Kershaw (off the wireless) as our guest. She thought that Atherstone was wonderful and full of life and has praised it several times on air.

I have contacted one of our members, at nearby Valley Cruises who tell me that they have never had a complaint about the town which is often an overnight stop for their clients. I have also contacted one of the local councillors to put them in the picture.

The NWTA was formed in 2004 to promote the north part of our beautiful county, the tourism guide is well worth seeking out and our website is www.visitnortherwarwickshire.com

We had a query recently about dog friendly pubs on the Warwickshire Ring, if anyone would like to recommend any it would be appreciated.

New members, especially pubs and restaurants, are always welcome to join us in the association (very reasonable membership fee, details on website, or from myself).

Regards

Vince T

For the biggest cause of run down town centres with little but charity shops to offer, folks should look to the supermarkets and in the mirror.

Atherstone is cirtainly the pits now - and don't go into local pubs without expecting stares or a fight!

Mike

Visited a couple of them on a saturday night as we passed through atherstone recently, though perhaps the age (average 54) and hirsuit nature of our crew meant we weren't seen as a threat......

A short taxi ride from top lock took us to the excellent Churchend Brewery Tap, one of the highlights of our two week trip.... :cheers:

clicky

I bought a lot of hats from the factory. The lady there got a TV or similar if she sold a lot. I used to like the butchers and the fishshop and the store near the top lock.

Now - as that lot are gone we moor 6 locks down and go shopping in the Co-op. We tried the aldi but didn't rate it. There are a good few shops along the road there so we still visit when passing.

Any shop must be better than the Co-Op

:)

We visited Wheelock a few weeks ago, mid afternoon, hungry and thirsty. No problem with three pubs and a canal side restaurant - all closed! The place looked run down and not at all what I remembered - crossed off our list now.