inconsiderate boaters, part two...

luctor et emergo

Featured Posts

Following on from the other thread, about inconsiderate boaters. They are at it on land as well...

Last week, in Great Bedwin.

Photo0500.jpg

And before you let rip at BW, for 'not maintaining the facilities', the bins were actually empty. But why go through the trouble of putting you rubbish in the bin, if you can just drop it on the floor?

Following on from the other thread, about inconsiderate boaters. They are at it on land as well...

And before you let rip at BW, for 'not maintaining the facilities', the bins were actually empty. But why go through the trouble of putting you rubbish in the bin, if you can just drop it on the floor?

I concede I don't know that particular location - but it's often struck me how many such disposal points are accessible to jo public....

if you live near one and your local council is 'picky' about your rubbish type and send around the recycling police....it must be tempting to dump your rubbish at somebodies expense surely...

It's a case of "Well, everyone else does it, and so shall I", if someone dumps rubbish like that, everyone else will follow, to the point that you can't access the bins safely and have little choice, it just needs more "encouragement" for the people to actually put their rubbish inside the bins (maybe reminders of rats infested with plague-ridden fleas running into their boats or houses might help encourage them? Works in some towns and cities)... :lol:

And a lot of the stuff there can and should be separated for recycling, bunch of lazy so and so's... :lol:

Edited by twocvbloke

And a lot of the stuff there can and should be separated for recycling, bunch of lazy so and so's... :lol:

Unless things have changed since the last time we were out in April BW waste collection facilities don't readily lend themselves to a re-cycling mentality....

last time I asked about this on here I was told they 'sort' the recyclable stuff later...

Edited by NB No Deadlines

Is it a case of putting stuff on the floor when the bins are full but the rubbish collectors only empty the bins, not clear up the rest of the rubbish. It is usually contracted out.

Sue

A good point except they would have to move that rubbish to get at the bins. Maybe they did and then put it back!

I concede I don't know that particular location - but it's often struck me how many such disposal points are accessible to jo public....

if you live near one and your local council is 'picky' about your rubbish type and send around the recycling police....it must be tempting to dump your rubbish at somebodies expense surely...

There was this problem, last year at the facilities at giffard park in Mk, don't know what the outcome was.

Regards

Dan

There was this problem, last year at the facilities at giffard park in Mk, don't know what the outcome was.

Regards

Dan

I reported that one many years ago to BW, while I was there a truck pulled up and emptied it into the BW refuse point using there own BW key to gain access

From memory its been closed

Its (the Giffard Park facility) open again now. The problem was that the local (land based) residents started to dump their excess rubbish (stuff the council would'nt take) outside the BW rubbish point so, BW in their wisdom closed the facility. They put it outside because access to the facility is locked and accessed by a BW key, which most land lubbers don't have.

Not sure how the situation was resolved but it seems to have gone back to normal.

Its (the Giffard Park facility) open again now. The problem was that the local (land based) residents started to dump their excess rubbish (stuff the council would'nt take) outside the BW rubbish point so, BW in their wisdom closed the facility. They put it outside because access to the facility is locked and accessed by a BW key, which most land lubbers don't have.

Not sure how the situation was resolved but it seems to have gone back to normal.

I remember it in the Citizen and MK news a while back, I live in Giffard Park, but don't venture up that end, work and play is in the opposite direction!

Regards

Dan

]And before you let rip at BW, for 'not maintaining the facilities', the bins were actually empty. But why go through the trouble of putting you rubbish in the bin, if you can just drop it on the floor?

Hi,

Interesting, another boater on her blog (Boating with No Problem) was at Great Bedwyn last week and reported that - 'Contractors turned up to empty bins, found the site clogged with rubbish, took some pictures and left'.

This actually is fair enough - if their contract with BW is to empty a fixed number of bins, (presuming easy access) that's what they try to do. If fly tipping has increased the rubbish two or three fold and access is restricted they can't fulfill the contract.

This situation is common to many BW rubbish points, is is clearly seen at Cowroast where BW have introduced a recycling collection - the bins are unable to cope with the bottles left by thirsty boaters and a large collection of empties is arranged around the receptacles.

It is also interesting to see some of the rubbish left in the bins - some boaters must be carrying out extensive re-building works to their boats (including bathroom and kitchen renewals) which results in hardcore in the bins.

The bags of rubbish in the bins and left lying around increases dramatically at Christmas and the general level of rubbish has increased since the closure of the 'tip' at Tring.

BW do seem to have a contract with a diligent collection team as the site is normally left tidy after a collection.

No doubt the extra cost of rubbish disposal will increase boating/angling costs.

Leo.

PS -Photoshop remains temperamental and thus no pics of the Cowroast waste disposal point could be posted.

I know that spot at Great Bedwin very well. I usually park there for a few hours every week.

A month ago the bins had not been emptied for many weeks, and the rubbish was quite literally filling the whole area, and level with the top of the fence.

A local told me that there was apparently some sort of dispute with the contractors.

I have also seen people arrive with a load of rubbish in a car and unload it. One one occasion there was also a lot of timber left there which looked like the offcuts from a fitout / refit.

It may not be perfect, but at least if people are using the proper rubbish point it is better than dumping their crap out in the open countryside.

I did wonder of it was the same No Problem causing a problem at Pewsey by mooring on the water point for several days.

Sue

I suspect it was, they had a dispute over the serviceability of BW pump ot stations.

Leo

I know that spot at Great Bedwin very well. I usually park there for a few hours every week.

A month ago the bins had not been emptied for many weeks, and the rubbish was quite literally filling the whole area, and level with the top of the fence.

A local told me that there was apparently some sort of dispute with the contractors.

I have also seen people arrive with a load of rubbish in a car and unload it. One one occasion there was also a lot of timber left there which looked like the offcuts from a fitout / refit.

It may not be perfect, but at least if people are using the proper rubbish point it is better than dumping their crap out in the open countryside.

Not sure about this one, these disposal points are normally for boaters rubbish only (notices restrict items which can be left for disposal).

Batteries, tyres, engine oil and fridges etc are a 'NO NO' but still they are left for disposal at the local BW site.

It would be helpful if people (be that boaters or local householders) went the 'extra mile' to the local authority tip to dispose of unacceptable items.

Fly tipping is a problem in the country lanes around here, despite the availability of convenient Local Authourity tips.

It would be interesting to know how much money it costs BW for rubbish clearance annually.

Leo.